Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 6, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #541 of 635
We've seriously thought about this little unit over many months and we are fiercely proud of it so it comes a bit hard when it's being targeted by those that can't possibly fully understand it yet.

Only time (and sales) will tell if it was potential customers not understanding it yet, or just a non-perfect response to the market needs.

I like your approach, it seems very passionate and genuine. As I said you guys have gained a lot of credit to my eyes (and ears) so I will wait until I can test one before giving any tough comments!

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #542 of 635
Please continue to help us fully understand it then.

What are we missing in our comments that suggest that we're fine with an OTG cord from the smartphone that we all likely have (often with an SD card) or something like a Chromecast and putting the $600 in savings towards something else?

What can't we possibly "fully understand yet"?

I very much appreciate the hard work you have done and love my Mojo. But don't quite see the inconvenience of cords as meriting a $600 solution, regardless of how well implemented that solution may be. But by all means please let me know what I might be missing here.

See:
we've put out a full press release and had many meeting with them one of the meetings was with Jude and Warren who now fully understand the product Jude will be putting out a very detailed video explanation of all of the features and the ways in which Poly can be used.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #543 of 635
To my understanding, Poly feels redundant. I can use much cheaper material for better utility overall. Seagate 4TB 2.5" Portable hard drive($124) + RAVPower FileHub Plus wifi hotspot with built in 6000mah battery ($39) and Nplayer Plus app in IOS. Then you can stream 4000GB of Music, Videos, Manga, Books wirelessly. The wireless speed is 5MB/s. I believe that is a much better and cheaper solution than Poly albeit not as good looking.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #544 of 635
John - my main concern would be limitations of use when wifi is unavailable or limited. Can you speak to the ability to use Poly when traveling or on the road without wifi availability?

Wireless external HDD, thus creating your own WiFi on the move? Have it stashed away in your rucksack and you can have 1-2TB of music at your mercy. This would be an option, and one I will strongly consider, unless I find 200GB is enough for me by means of an SD card. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #545 of 635
Could you please post a small hands on video on Poly with Mojo on your official Youtube channel ? We can see all functionalities and it will help us to breathe properly till the time it get released :)
Jude will do a great piece shortly he said he'd try to get all aspects of Poly's use and operation explained in fine detail as it's such a complex piece

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #546 of 635
To my understanding, Poly feels redundant. I can use much cheaper material for better utility overall. Seagate 4TB 2.5" Portable hard drive($124) + RAVPower FileHub Plus wifi hotspot with built in 6000mah battery ($39) and Nplayer Plus app in IOS. Then you can stream 4000GB of Music, Videos, Manga, Books wirelessly. The wireless speed is 5MB/s. I believe that is a much better and cheaper solution than Poly albeit not as good looking.

+ 1.

For a cheaper solution. In fact there are many options given Poly's spec. I will be buying Poly to see how much it benefits me. 

If I can have 1TB of music in my rucksack while traveling, and control the library easily, even better via my iWatch - it's a winner. Not cheap though. Perhaps we had it too good with the Mojo price wise. I currently control my iPhone music with my iWatch for music and it works really well. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #547 of 635
Jude will do a great piece shortly he said he'd try to get all aspects of Poly's use and operation explained in fine detail as it's such a complex piece

Thanks for taking the time to post John on what must have been a very busy time for you.
Hopefully you have managed to get some sleep!

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #548 of 635

For a cheaper solution. In fact there are many options given Poly's spec. I will be buying Poly to see how much it benefits me. 

There have always been cheaper options than Chord. Have they been better than or even equal to Chord though?

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #549 of 635
I'm not impressed by this release. They basically did everything they needed to do to make a high end DAP across two units and then didn't make the leap by adding a screen and basic Android OS. I think they really screwed the pooch on this one and it will be nowhere near as successful as they want it to be. If you are going to carry the size brick that this will end up being then you can just carry around a top-tier DAP that will sound nearly as good or as good with much more convenience. Also, the specs seem to indicate that it doesn't carry the latest Bluetooth capabilities, which is just a mistake. I'd be happy to be corrected, as I think the Mojo is a helluva piece of kit.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #550 of 635

There have always been cheaper options than Chord. Have they been better than or even equal to Chord though?

With subjectivity in play how can I answer that properly. I haven't heard Poly, or many of the other options for starters. Of course there are cheaper options, I'm not one of the many complaining of the price as such, although I can see why people are questioning what is considered an add-on to cost more than its big brother. I'll judge it when I have it in my hands. Anything before is mere speculation. Perhaps we had it too good with the Mojo in the first place. People using an A&K 380 only to use the DAC of a Mojo says a lot to me. 

I have eyes on the Poly and Hugo 2. I just hope the Hugo 2 significantly pulls away from the Mojo SQ wise. I chose Mojo over Hugo before and would love Hugo 2 to be simply better. Not just a slightly different flavour. I also own the TT, which I did feel was worthy of the outlay so this Hugo 2 will be very interesting indeed. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #555 of 635
So realistically at least 2 months away. Shame.

that's the way it is with many products released by tech companies at any show
(if not much longer) same with any new phones, cars, etc.

if anything it'll work to everyone's advantage: reviews will be done
and more videos will arrive to further clarify their place in the audio world.
...with only 2 or so months to await them, if you wish to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back