Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #511 of 635
Does anyone know if Polly "fully" supports ROON's RAAT protocol at all of its extended sample rates as a recognized, full-fledged "Network Device," or is ROON listed as being supported by Polly only because of its Airplay compatibility (thereby limited to 44/48khz)?

I was at the presentation today. They said they're in the process of being official with Roon. They work with Roon now and they'll be official soon.

Personally, I think the Poly is pretty cool. I think of it like casting with a chrome cast... You send a command from the phone but the Poly does all the work so you're not draining battery. (assuming you're playing from the card or dlna not from your phone).

The price is a hurdle but I think of it as a $1200ish DAP and compare functionality and SQ to others in the price range... I think it holds up. Ymmv of course.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #512 of 635
The price is a hurdle but I think of it as a $1200ish DAP and compare functionality and SQ to others in the price range... I think it holds up. Ymmv of course.

But its not, you can't work it without a phone/tablet and don't always want to have my phone. Its not competing with a Stand-alone DAP. Massive missed opportunity IMO. And only one MicroSD slot
confused_face.gif

No accessory should have cost more than the Mojo itself. At £299 the Poly would have been interesting.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #513 of 635
I believe the future of Hifi lies in hires digital music streaming. I expected a 2nd gen mojo that goes Android and keeps its price range, that would be a shock attack. That product will definitely make inroads into consumer market from the niche audiophile market, and infuriate people all year long for constantly find it out of stock. After all, the volume of audiophile is insignificant compared to music lovers.

I am disappointed in Chords move. It is not a revolution to my book. Chord, next time, dream bigger, this one I will skip

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #514 of 635
I believe the future of Hifi lies in hires digital music streaming. I am disappointed in Chords move. It is not a revolution to my book. Will skip it.

Totally agree, but with offline streaming too (min 128GB-256GB storage) Looks like a will be giving the Fiio X5 Gen 3 a try when available.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #515 of 635
No accessory should have cost more than the Mojo itself. At £299 the Poly would have been interesting.

Absolutely. £199 I would have been interested. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #516 of 635

Absolutely. £199 I would have been interested. 

£299 or max £399 is also ok for normal music lover.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #517 of 635
But its not, you can't work it without a phone/tablet and don't always want to have my phone. Its not competing with a Stand-alone DAP. Massive missed opportunity IMO. And only one MicroSD slot :confused_face:  

I totally agree. I've posted my opinion of the Poly in the Mojo thread here so I won't cross post it. However, I would say that at even £299 the price would still be lacking in value for money.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #518 of 635
Yeah pass on the Poly at that price point for sure. Think I'll go with a $35 Chromecast instead. Strap it to a battery pack for portability if needed. And I'm already feeling better about using an OTG cable. Want SD card functionality? Get a phone that takes SD cards.

Was very excited until I heard that price.

That is a creative suggestion! Does Chromecast Audio do digital output, do you know?

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #519 of 635

Yeah pass on the Poly at that price point for sure. Think I'll go with a $35 Chromecast instead. Strap it to a battery pack for portability if needed. And I'm already feeling better about using an OTG cable. Want SD card functionality? Get a phone that takes SD cards.

Was very excited until I heard that price.

That is a creative suggestion! Does Chromecast Audio do digital output, do you know?

Yes Chromecast has mini optical out, i had tested this feature almost 1 year back with my Mojo...You need a Toslink to Mini toslink cable !

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #520 of 635
I totally agree. I've posted my opinion of the Poly in the Mojo thread here so I won't cross post it. However, I would say that at even £299 the price would still be lacking in value for money.

Chord were just one of many high-end audiophile manufacturers catering for business or rich audiophiles with no sense of value for money, then dropped a bombshell launching the Mojo at massively less than anything they had done.

This launched them into the mass market attracting interest from a much larger, more price sensitive customer.  Since then they seem to have reverted back to form with stupidly expensive cable Kit and official case and now this !

The Mojo is still great for what I bought it for but I will be looking for DAP's with Android/streaming support going forward.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #521 of 635
  Yes Chromecast has mini optical out, i had tested this feature almost 1 year back with my Mojo...You need a Toslink to Mini toslink cable !

This could be the solution! Do you need a power source for the Chromecast as well, to make it portable?

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #522 of 635

This could be the solution! Do you need a power source for the Chromecast as well, to make it portable?

Yes you need power through Micro usb and also it needs active internet connection through router !

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #523 of 635
Chord Poly for around $600 or:

Apple AirPort Express for around $100 (AirPlay / WiFI) with Toslink digital optical out to Mojo

and/or

Philips AEA2700 for around $50 (Bluetooth / AptX / AAC) with Toslink digital optical out to Mojo

???

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #524 of 635
that is the most disappointing update from chord, they totally missed out on what mojo owners needed and looked forward to have, no one I am sure wanted to have tied using sd card module via a phone, what did chord think?

I am really disappointed, had they not released big statements as revolutionary and such i would be ok, but they painted the sky with glowing stars for something that again is not practical for the mojo

as for hugo 2 that is good to a have a better succesor

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #525 of 635
Unfortunately, it looks like Chord have priced the Poly at the wrong level. A £499 attachment to a £1400 DAC looks ok, but not as a £499 attachment to a £399 DAC.

I will still probably get one, but I will feel like I'm being taken advantage of :frowning2:

Update: On the other hand, if it does what it is meant to and I can see that reel effort has been put into making it perfect, I'm sure my discontent will evaporate:)

Update 2:
I originally posted that I thought Chord had priced the Poly at the wrong level for your average Mojo cusromer (whatever that is...) and I still think the price is quite challenging. However, from some of the technical details that John has mentioned it sounds like Chord has put in the level of effort that we SHOULD have expected from a company that makes cutting edge and very expensive audio equipment.
If you think about the company we are dealing with, it shouldn't come as a a surprise that Poly is a UK made, high tech, audiophile level piece of equipment and not some mass produced, Chinese made, parts bin manufactured gadget with a five minute warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back