Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #526 of 635
Price way to high.  Only one SD card slot?  Feel like selling mojo and getting DAP now.  Or getting a cheap transport.  Poly doesn't do anything I wanted it to do.  I don't want to play music with my phone wirelessly.  I don't want stack either.  They wasted there money on R&D on a high priced unit.  They will not sell more than 5% of these vs Mojo sells.  Mojo companion needs to be cheap enough and featured enough that 80% of their current Mojo customers would be willing to buy it.
The price of Poly has not been inflated we at Chord always follow precisely the same Bill of material to selling price ratio. Yes we could have used a cheap single core processor that runs a fraction iof the speed we are running and had no coprocessor. The price is what it is because Poly is what it is please don't judge Poly when you are not fully aware of a Polys cababilities Poly is an amazing product with truly world first cababilities! Yes we could have built it cheaper but it would not have been able to do half of what Poly can do.or at the speed that poly can do it Please hold your fire until you can fully understand what Poly really is about. I would have hoped that by now all of you guys would understand that we at Chord care greatly about what ultra high technology we design. There are many rip off merchants that bring cheap low technology solutions forward with the hope of selling them to the gullible we are proud not to be one of them. So the price of Poly is the right price it could only be Cheapened by crippleing its performance and I'm very sorry but we as a company are not prepared to do that .

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #527 of 635
I as a consumer is not prepared to pay 1000 AUD either.Sorry Chord but if others can build top notch DAPs for that price with wireless capabilities, screens, controls and standalone operation you can't claim a pass on the Poly. The cherry on this cake is the poor battery life.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #528 of 635
The price of Poly has not been inflated we at Chord always follow precisely the same Bill of material to selling price ratio. Yes we could have used a cheap single core processor that runs a fraction iof the speed we are running and had no coprocessor. The price is what it is because Poly is what it is please don't judge Poly when you are not fully aware of a Polys cababilities Poly is an amazing product with truly world first cababilities! Yes we could have built it cheaper but it would not have been able to do half of what Poly can do.or at the speed that poly can do it Please hold your fire until you can fully understand what Poly really is about. I would have hoped that by now all of you guys would understand that we at Chord care greatly about what ultra high technology we design. There are many rip off merchants that bring cheap low technology solutions forward with the hope of selling them to the gullible we are proud not to be one of them. So the price of Poly is the right price it could only be Cheapened by crippleing its performance and I'm very sorry but we as a company are not prepared to do that .

Then please educate us on these amazing capabilities. Since clearly a lot of us aren't seeing the Poly that way and are not finding the accessory a high value proposition since it costs more than the DAC it attaches to.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #529 of 635
I'm sure the sound quality of Poly will be the new industry reference for wireless connection.
I don't think many in this forum will doubt that, but the point is different IMO.

Without Poly I have to carry my Mojo, the connection cable and my phone to use as a player.

With Poly I get rid of the cable but I have to carry the Poly, Mojo and Phone, for a price higher than the Mojo itself.

Even if the sound quality of the wireless solution equals the one with the cable it's hard for me to understand the added value. If I am missing something please tell me.

And don't misunderstand me dear John & Chord team, the Hugo changed my musical life, I love you for,this and you generated a big credit to my eyes for this.

But with Mojo sound quality/price ratio you truly raised the bar, now it's gonna be hard to keep a similar proposition!

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #530 of 635
mojo + cable + phone = less heavy, full access to all ios or android apps and customizations and eq

or 

poly + mojo + phone=== not sure even how or what app will offer for sd storage, just to make it play

I do not see this as a break through 

nah I am not ordering it

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #531 of 635
I will be attaching an auris bluMe via toslink to my Moio for home use. The Mojo is too cumbersome to use while commuting via train.

The extra sound quality compared to a DFR gets lost due to the ambient noise even with my IEMs.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #532 of 635

I held off some of my choices for this announcement, including the iPod touch with lots of storage.  Poly is about the same price of an iPhone and about what I looked at with iPod touch and some other DAPs.  

Because of its capabilities plus its solid build, I am glad I held off from the other choices and I will purchase Poly.

Flexibility plus solid manufacturing.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #533 of 635
I'm sure the sound quality of Poly will be the new industry reference for wireless connection.
I don't think many in this forum will doubt that, but the point is different IMO.

Without Poly I have to carry my Mojo, the connection cable and my phone to use as a player.

With Poly I get rid of the cable but I have to carry the Poly, Mojo and Phone, for a price higher than the Mojo itself.

Even if the sound quality of the wireless solution equals the one with the cable it's hard for me to understand the added value. If I am missing something please tell me.

And don't misunderstand me dear John & Chord team, the Hugo changed my musical life, I love you for,this and you generated a big credit to my eyes for this.

But with Mojo sound quality/price ratio you truly raised the bar, now it's gonna be hard to keep a similar proposition!
Everyone has a phone in their hands for most of the time! Do you enjoy putting your phone away then getting your player out turning its display on and hunting through your music, or might it be just a little more convenient to have all your music available displayed and controlled from your phone even if you have music on your laptop at your office or you want to hear tracks from your Nas drive at home or if you want to stream from any number of services Poly pairs automatically once it knows your Ids and it's very fast so there are no delays it's all there. I'm sure we could have done an inferior job and made it cheaper but we couldn't have made Poly better it's the state of the art.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #534 of 635
Everyone has a phone in their hands for most of the time! Do you enjoy putting your phone away then getting your player out turning its display on and hunting through your music, or might it be just a little more convenient to have all your music available displayed and controlled from your phone even if you have music on your laptop at your office or you want to hear tracks from your Nas drive at home or if you want to stream from any number of services Poly pairs automatically once it knows your Ids and it's very fast so there are no delays it's all there. I'm sure we could have done an inferior job and made it cheaper but we couldn't have made Poly better it's the state of the art.

John - my main concern would be limitations of use when wifi is unavailable or limited. Can you speak to the ability to use Poly when traveling or on the road without wifi availability?

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #535 of 635
I have regular cross country lengthy  flights with no wifi.  I intend to use the micro sd card.   Up to 9 hours is terrific, and being able to charge them together a plus. . I will have my off line content as well as my streaming.  

My wife and I use a long cable now, while on the treadmill, with mojo off to the side, but things happen.  She was thrilled to hear, "no more cables!" 

After going through a few CCK, and various cables, I am excited.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #537 of 635
really looking forward to the Poly, Im going abroad on the 26th of January so this couldn't of come at a better time, a perfect travelling companion for my mojo! I take it any order placed with my local retailer (audio sanctuary) will be  delivered before I go?

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #538 of 635
John - my main concern would be limitations of use when wifi is unavailable or limited. Can you speak to the ability to use Poly when traveling or on the road without wifi availability?
Poly is its own Wifi hub so you can stream from the onboard unlimited SD or from the phone that it's paired too you can also link via Bluetooth to save power too. I know I'm banging on about just how clever Poly is but nothing out there has even the remotest cababilities of Poly and being Roon ready and capable of being used with any familiar player app too means that Poly is so easy to use! iIt really does make sense if you think about it? yes we'd have liked to put it out at a lower price but to make it cheaper we couldn't make it the really useful super fast design that can easily adapt to the changing music standards and formats over the coming years. We've seriously thought about this little unit over many months and we are fiercely proud of it so it comes a bit hard when it's being targeted by those that can't possibly fully understand it yet.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #539 of 635

Poly is its own Wifi hub so you can stream from the onboard unlimited SD or from the phone that it's paired too you can also link via Bluetooth to save power too. I know I'm banging on about just how clever Poly is but nothing out there has even the remotest cababilities of Poly and being Roon ready and capable of being used with any familiar player app too means that Poly is so easy to use! iIt really does make sense if you think about it? yes we'd have liked to put it out at a lower price but to make it cheaper we couldn't make it the really useful super fast design that can easily adapt to the changing music standards and formats over the coming years. We've seriously thought about this little unit over many months and we are fiercely proud of it so it comes a bit hard when it's being targeted by those that can't possibly fully understand it yet.

Could you please post a small hands on video on Poly with Mojo on your official Youtube channel ? We can see all functionalities and it will help us to breathe properly till the time it get released :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #540 of 635
so it comes a bit hard when it's being targeted by those that can't possibly fully understand it yet.

Please continue to help us fully understand it then.

What are we missing in our comments that suggest that we're fine with an OTG cord from the smartphone that we all likely have (often with an SD card) or something like a Chromecast and putting the $600 in savings towards something else?

What can't we possibly "fully understand yet"?

I very much appreciate the hard work you have done and love my Mojo. But don't quite see the inconvenience of cords as meriting a $600 solution, regardless of how well implemented that solution may be. But by all means please let me know what I might be missing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back