Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,946 of 4,904
Just found this on YouTube:

Can't wait for the first real reviews...

By the way, no Official Hugo M Scaler thread yet?

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3,947 of 4,904
to be fair, Blu2 was only really meant for the China hi-end market....

For people who are not millionaires, well Chord have delivered the Hugo Mscaler.

I can't see any issue either which way.

The Blu2 does respond (unbelievably) to different power cables, but there is sadly, no option to try this with the Hugo Mscaler.

So you pays your money....
Now you got to try different LPS. Much better option than the one in Blu2.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #3,948 of 4,904
Lower cost yes. Higher spec yes. Both together no. Then no one would buy flag ship product from Chord ever.
It was inevitable that it would have more inputs than the Blu2, 1m taps and cost less. The real bonus is the DX volume control. Is the Dave now redundant for ultimate sound quality when the DX amps are released? I also reckon it will not need ferrites. There is no way that a perfectionist like Rob would design a new M-scaler that outputs FPGA common mode noise from the ground plane now that it is know about. The positive thing is that it doesn't have 2m taps and that it should sound the same as the Blu2 with ferrites! Blu2 is not obsolete.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,949 of 4,904
It was inevitable that it would have more inputs than the Blu2, 1m taps and cost less. The real bonus is the DX volume control. Is the Dave now redundant for ultimate sound quality when the DX amps are released? I also reckon it will not need ferrites. There is no way that a perfectionist like Rob would design a new M-scaler that outputs FPGA common mode noise from the ground plane now that it is know about. The positive thing is that it doesn't have 2m taps and that it should sound the same as the Blu2 with ferrites! Blu2 is not obsolete.

I think he knew about it when he worked on the Blu2. I’m waiting for his confirmation that it’s now sorted.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3,950 of 4,904
Rob Watt has been aware of RFI problem for a long time so both output and input has been galvanic isolation, maybe external power are the solution

Your statement already contradict it self. With Blu2 we would need WAVE cable or streamer to equal the performance of Hugo M-Scaler. Also i said logically if galvanic isolotion on USB makes no difference to the sound then it will not be there as designer dont just put it in for fun.

I know you think I am stupid, you are probably right, but iirc the RF noise from the Blu2 comes from the FPGA and makes its way into the cable. I don’t think galvanic isolation of either the USB input or the BNC output fixes that. I think the M Scaler might use a different FPGA which might affect the situation; it is also possible that the issue has been addressed inside the case. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3,951 of 4,904
Rob Watt has been aware of RFI problem for a long time so both output and input has been galvanic isolation, maybe external power are the solution

Your statement already contradict it self. With Blu2 we would need WAVE cable or streamer to equal the performance of Hugo M-Scaler. Also i said logically if galvanic isolotion on USB makes no difference to the sound then it will not be there as designer dont just put it in for fun.

Not contradict. Simply stating the Blu2 can sound exactly the same while being in a much more expensive casing that matches Dave and adds a CD player that is not a cheap addition.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #3,952 of 4,904
The DAVE is still indispensable for headphone listeners, those using crossfeed anyway. But maybe the PowerPulse amps will indeed make it fully redundant some day, say if you have access to a software crossfeed and they are compatible with headphone impedances (as the Hugo TT₂ indicates). All depends on the prices asked for the PP amps. However, I'm glad about the compact separate M Scaler, and the price seems fair.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,956 of 4,904
Not contradict. Simply stating the Blu2 can sound exactly the same while being in a much more expensive casing that matches Dave and adds a CD player that is not a cheap addition.
From audiobacon.net
  • External Power Supply
    • Could be powered by an external power supply (9-15V). By far, my favorite new feature.
    • The implication:
      • You could use a portable battery or a custom LPS such as the Paul Hynes SR4.
      • For those who realize the sonic gains of having a better power supply, this is going to be HUGE.
  • Galvanically isolated USB port
    • This will further improve sound quality coming from your streamer/server.
So no, blu2 wont sound as good as Hugo M scaler.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,957 of 4,904
The DAVE is still indispensable for headphone listeners, those using crossfeed anyway. But maybe the PowerPulse amps will indeed make it fully redundant some day, say if you have access to a software crossfeed and they are compatible with headphone impedances (as the Hugo TT₂ indicates). All depends on the prices asked for the PP amps. However, I'm glad about the compact separate M Scaler, and the price seems fair.

Hasn’t the TT2 got crossfeed too?

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,959 of 4,904
Hasn’t the TT2 got crossfeed too?
Yes, like all Chord DACs since the Hugo. Above statement was about renouncing the DAVE in favour of a PowerPulse amp, possibly also for driving headphones.

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #3,960 of 4,904
From audiobacon.net
  • External Power Supply
    • Could be powered by an external power supply (9-15V). By far, my favorite new feature.
    • The implication:
      • You could use a portable battery or a custom LPS such as the Paul Hynes SR4.
      • For those who realize the sonic gains of having a better power supply, this is going to be HUGE.
  • Galvanically isolated USB port
    • This will further improve sound quality coming from your streamer/server.
So no, blu2 wont sound as good as Hugo M scaler.

If you eliminate RF one way or another they sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back