Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,931 of 4,904
You probably have a very different perspective when buying hi-end equipment. I expect more when buying flagship electronics and somehow got outperformed by lower end equipment with cheaper price.

Imagine hugo 2 TT has a better feature than Dave. It would be ridiculous to me.

I am sorry that somehow today has turned into your worst nightmare day with the Hugo MScaler being announced. I rather take the view that high end digital HiFi has a limited life before it becomes eclipsed by cheaper and better equipment. That is just the rule of the rate of progress in digital gear at the moment.

Was I happy with my Blu2 yesterday? Yes, of course I was. Am I less happy with it today after the announcement? No, not a bit and I have no intention of selling it on. I think it is going to be a loing time before either of the now two Chord MScalers are overtaken by anyone else’s technology and I am happy that Blu2 has a long term home here. I am of course happy that I am lucky enough or work hard enough that I can order a Hugo MScaler as well but it’s a free world and we all spend our money where we want and I do without many things so I can have my HiFi.

I hope your day improves and you are able to find a better frame of mind. (Maybe I shouldn’t mention that in some ways the H2 TT is better than Dave - as well as being cheaper - because it outputs more power).

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,932 of 4,904
Ordered mine an hour ago. Was quoted "Autumn" for delivery. Not expecting anything before Christmas.
Did you go for silver or black?

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #3,933 of 4,904
black is always better

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,934 of 4,904
I am sorry that somehow today has turned into your worst nightmare day with the Hugo MScaler being announced. I rather take the view that high end digital HiFi has a limited life before it becomes eclipsed by cheaper and better equipment. That is just the rule of the rate of progress in digital gear at the moment.

Was I happy with my Blu2 yesterday? Yes, of course I was. Am I less happy with it today after the announcement? No, not a bit and I have no intention of selling it on. I think it is going to be a loing time before either of the now two Chord MScalers are overtaken by anyone else’s technology and I am happy that Blu2 has a long term home here. I am of course happy that I am lucky enough or work hard enough that I can order a Hugo MScaler as well but it’s a free world and we all spend our money where we want and I do without many things so I can have my HiFi.

I hope your day improves and you are able to find a better frame of mind. (Maybe I shouldn’t mention that in some ways the H2 TT is better than Dave - as well as being cheaper - because it outputs more power).
No i cant understand from the"enjoying the music" perspective then if the Blu2 is good now then Hugo M Scaler is not gonna change it. For headphone user the Dave and Hugo 2 TT probably not gonna make much of a difference as well as the USB galvanic isolation or Toslink input . For Hi-end speaker setup, the delta is much difference.

It is not my worst nightmare rather than i am just a little unpleasant. i actually saw a young kid who spent his hard earn working money to buy a Blu2 a month ago. This news would be his worst nightmare, not mine.

Now i started to understand why Chord will never be considered hi-end company. Even with great products, their market is suspicious and lazy at best. One would question why buy their ultimate Chord Ultima amplifier when next yeAr they are gonna release his baby brother with better feature and dont allow trade back in.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3,935 of 4,904
black is always better

Yes I like black but the Dave mine will be matching is sliver and is sat next to a pass labs amp which comes in any colour you want as long as it is silver. Black also seems to mark more with finger prints.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3,936 of 4,904
Did you go for silver or black?

Silver because my DAVE is silver. Though I have probably created a problem given that there is no way the finishes will match. Silver suits my world a bit better than black, but occasionally I think the black one looks more sinister and potent. Do you think the M Scaler will need ferrites - someone has said that it won't, but I'm not sure on what basis they have said so.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,937 of 4,904
Let's face it, the Blu2 was ill'

Silver because my DAVE is silver. Though I have probably created a problem given that there is no way the finishes will match. Silver suits my world a bit better than black, but occasionally I think the black one looks more sinister and potent. Do you think the M Scaler will need ferrites - someone has said that it won't, but I'm not sure on what basis they have said so.

I will have them either side of the amp so any mismatch of the silver will not be noticeable. At the moment only a few people have any real idea if the new MScaler will be more friendly to ferriteless cables and any company response might be biased towards what they think the masses want to hear. All I can say is that I am number 4 on my dealers waitlist so I will let you know if I get mine before you.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3,938 of 4,904
I will have them either side of the amp so any mismatch of the silver will not be noticeable. At the moment only a few people have any real idea if the new MScaler will be more friendly to ferriteless cables and any company response might be biased towards what they think the masses want to hear. All I can say is that I am number 4 on my dealers waitlist so I will let you know if I get mine before you.

I think it’s fair to say that you’ll be letting everyone know anyway, Nick.

I’ll be interested to hear your views on the differences, if any, and from someone who’s unbiased and has no financial interest in whether the new unit has issues that require ferrite cables :)

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3,939 of 4,904
No i cant understand from the"enjoying the music" perspective then if the Blu2 is good now then Hugo M Scaler is not gonna change it. For headphone user the Dave and Hugo 2 TT probably not gonna make much of a difference as well as the USB galvanic isolation or Toslink input . For Hi-end speaker setup, the delta is much difference.

It is not my worst nightmare rather than i am just a little unpleasant. i actually saw a young kid who spent his hard earn working money to buy a Blu2 a month ago. This news would be his worst nightmare, not mine.

Now i started to understand why Chord will never be considered hi-end company. Even with great products, their market is suspicious and lazy at best. One would question why buy their ultimate Chord Ultima amplifier when next yeAr they are gonna release his baby brother with better feature and dont allow trade back in.

Rob didn’t think the USB needed galvanic isolation on the Blu2 because the onward bnc isolation should clean it up. In many cases this is true. And for cleaning up everything from Blu2 fpga noise and incoming USB, cables like the WAVE one will clean all of it up.

Furthermore a streamer like the Aries G2 has galvanic isolation on its USB output. So with all these bolts and braces I doubt the new mscaler will sound any different at all!

And the Blu2’s casework is MUCH more expensive. Finally the CD mechanism and circuitry with tight embedding into the fpga will always sound the best and is not a cheap addition either!!!

I don’t feel cheated even though I have only had Blu2 for a couple of months!

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,940 of 4,904
Let's face it, the Blu2 was ill'

Rob Watt has been aware of RFI problem for a long time so both output and input has been galvanic isolation, maybe external power are the solution
Rob didn’t think the USB needed galvanic isolation on the Blu2 because the onward bnc isolation should clean it up. In many cases this is true. And for cleaning up everything from Blu2 fpga noise and incoming USB, cables like the WAVE one will clean all of it up.

Furthermore a streamer like the Aries G2 has galvanic isolation on its USB output. So with all these bolts and braces I doubt the new mscaler will sound any different at all!

And the Blu2’s casework is MUCH more expensive. Finally the CD mechanism and circuitry with tight embedding into the fpga will always sound the best and is not a cheap addition either!!!

I don’t feel cheated even though I have only had Blu2 for a couple of months!
Your statement already contradict it self. With Blu2 we would need WAVE cable or streamer to equal the performance of Hugo M-Scaler. Also i said logically if galvanic isolotion on USB makes no difference to the sound then it will not be there as designer dont just put it in for fun.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #3,941 of 4,904
It is not my worst nightmare rather than i am just a little unpleasant..

Yes, you need to calm down a bit.

Even from the day Blu2 was introduced, there was much shouting and speculation for a lower cost standalone m-scaler.
Which has now been delivered, more or less as requested.

People had two choices:
They either bought the Blu2 and ran the risk that a lower cost/higher spec'd standalone m-scaler would appear one day.
Or they waited for the standalone m-scaler and ran the risk that it may never appear, or appear in a format that didn't suit them.
We each pay our money and make our choice. None of this should be a surprise.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3,942 of 4,904

Even from the day Blu2 was introduced, there was much shouting and speculation for a lower cost standalone m-scaler.

People had two choices:
They either bought the Blu2 and ran the risk that a lower cost/higher spec'd standalone m-scaler would appear one day.
Or they waited for the standalone m-scaler and ran the risk that it may never appear, or appear in a format that didn't suit them.

Well put, it’s difficult to argue with that. We’ve all been miffed at bad decisions, and it’s not necessarily somebody else’s fault.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #3,943 of 4,904

People had two choices:
Lower cost yes. Higher spec yes. Both together no. Then no one would buy flag ship product from Chord ever.

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,945 of 4,904
to be fair, Blu2 was only really meant for the China hi-end market....

For people who are not millionaires, well Chord have delivered the Hugo Mscaler.

I can't see any issue either which way.

The Blu2 does respond (unbelievably) to different power cables, but there is sadly, no option to try this with the Hugo Mscaler.

So you pays your money....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back