Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #3,076 of 4,904
10BBDEC8-7175-4412-817F-702130E7CC67.jpeg
Probably another conversation for another time or place ie PM, but I found that coax was not the route to go for interconnects. Also, careful and exact measurement of low level LCR characteristics of cables can reveal a lot about how they will sound. All good fun.
I’ve tried as many interfaces as I could to my ears as inferior as spdif coax is in theory it still sounds best to me, I tried wireworld platinum usb (all silver) vs CA coax (all silver) Into Blu2 and my preference is coax. But into Hugo2 I’m prefering the optical?
A friend on a budged wants a coax into his Qutest so I made him this foil braid foil braid braid

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #3,077 of 4,904

I’ve tried as many interfaces as I could to my ears as inferior as spdif coax is in theory it still sounds best to me, I tried wireworld platinum usb (all silver) vs CA coax (all silver) Into Blu2 and my preference is coax. But into Hugo2 I’m prefering the optical?
A friend on a budged wants a coax into his Qutest so I made him this foil braid foil braid braid
Sorry, I meant analogue interconnects when I said my experiments did not favour coax.

Neat cable by the way.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,078 of 4,904
I've ordered a new Blu2 to pair with my Dave. I've been trying to find out how important the coax's between the Blu2 and the Dave are. In other words, how much should I invest in these cables?

Searching the Internet it seems people spend what they feel they can afford so the gamut ranges from inexpensive to something like Chord Music's. The seller of my Chord kit uses Wireworld Platinums. It would be a relatively inexpensive choice but I'm leery of a lot of silver and of a brand I've never experienced. Since my system has a full loom of Ansuz cables, I decided to stick with the brand.

I've chosen the middle of the line C2 digital coax's which should be more cable than most people use. However, I have a chance to obtain a pair of Ansuz DTC digital coax's at a price that I can't ignore. Even so, it's a good deal more than the price of the C2's.

The question I have is if I can hear the difference in these two cables in other applications would I hear it used between the Blu2/Dave pair?

Bud

Yes. Go for it, since you can afford it. :)

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3,079 of 4,904
I have a separate earth rod for the HiFi. It is a 2.4 metre long Furse copper coated steel rod sunk in the ground outside my listening room. This is connected directly with 6 mm² cable to the earth connection on the Furutech GTX-D US socket that my Running Springs Audio Dmitri Power Line Conditioner is plugged into. The Furutech GTX-D is connected to the consumer unit with 6 mm² SWA screened cable. The screen is connected to ground at the consumer unit. My Dave, Blu 2 and power amps are plugged into the Dmitri. Since reading romaz's recent post, I am considering running separate digital and analog power lines to the consumer unit. In Ireland we have 3 pin plugs as in the UK but I use US plugs as these are simpler so should sound better.

My Dave and Blu2 are connected with Oyaide DB-510 1.3m Digital BNC cables each fitted with 5 Wurth 74271132 1 GHz split core ferrites and 5 Wurth 74271633 2.5 GHz split core ferrites as recommended by Rob. If I was doing it again I think I would just purchase 2 x 2m Canare 12G-SDI 4K UHD Single-Channel BNC Cables.

Traditionally I only listened to Cds but have now taken out a Qobuz subscription and stream it using a Dell XPS 13 running on battery power. I am considering an Intona High Speed USB Isolator (industrial version)
I continue tinkering with my BNC cables (15 ferrites of your specs each) as I still can't fully eliminate extra glare. Could you, please, guide me to a resource where I would find the specs for 7421633 at 2.5GHZ (I could see in Wurth materials charts only up to 1 GHz)?

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #3,080 of 4,904
Yes. Go for it, since you can afford it. :)

It's too late, my dealer had already wired the money to Denmark for the Ansuz C2 digital coax's.

I'm sure the C2's will be fine and I can use the savings to buy a new power cord for the Blu2.

I sure hope my investment in the Blu2 is worth the cost (Blu2, stand, pair of Ansuz C2's and now a power cord). I suspect it's going to be a classic case of diminishing returns. The Dave already sounds pretty good w/o the Blu2.

Bud

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,081 of 4,904
Also, careful and exact measurement of low level LCR characteristics of cables can reveal a lot about how they will sound.
What LCR characteristics make for the best performance for the BNC cables twixt Blu 2 and DAVE?

Now playing: Heather Nova - Island

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #3,082 of 4,904
What LCR characteristics make for the best performance for the BNC cables twixt Blu 2 and DAVE?

Now playing: Heather Nova - Island

I was discussing analogue interconnect cables when I said that.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #3,083 of 4,904
Hi Everyone - An update since my last post, which was a few days into owning the Blu2. As I was rummaging through some of my components I noticed I had an ISO-Regen in amongst the various USB regenerators I had in my possession. A pleasant surprise to say the least. I connected the ISO-Regen to an LPS-1 and installed the combo along with two Curious USB Cables between my NUC & Blu2. Along with the ISO-Regen/LPS-1/Curious solution, I re-introduced my i7 SonicTransporter that I had sourced from Andrew at SGC last year. In this configuration, I have the i7 running Roon Server and the NUC running Roon Player. The sound quality I'm getting out of this system is bordering on the overwhelming. Everything is so perfectly in place, treble extends to the heavens without being over-bearing, there is air, space, and texture through the mid-range and lastly low-end extension is tight, taught and delivered with impact. I frankly can't think of what more I could want out of my system.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to secure an in home demo of a SOTM tx-USBultra or Master-clock and buying either of these components at the risk of degrading my current experience is a risk I'm not willing to take. *SIGH*

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #3,084 of 4,904
I was discussing analogue interconnect cables when I said that.
What approach are you planning when you make the cables you've been talking about? Do you think the wide bandwidth approach, like we've seen with video cables for "12G", is the right way? Are you planning to try all the options you can come think of, rather than going after a particular kind of performance?

Now playing: Red Stars Theory - Combinations and Complications

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #3,085 of 4,904
Am i right in saying with an mscaler the sample rate resolution of the incoming digital audio signal no longer matters? Whether 44.1 or 192khz everything will be 'hardware' upsampled to 705/768khz. The WTA1 stage of blu2 will interpolate to 16 bit accuracy and will substitute the "missing" parts regardless? Or would a 192khz signal accelerate this process with regards to how the mscaler operates here as compared to standard redbook files?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #3,086 of 4,904
Am i right in saying with an mscaler the sample rate resolution of the incoming digital audio signal no longer matters? Whether 44.1 or 192khz everything will be 'hardware' upsampled to 705/768khz. The WTA1 stage of blu2 will interpolate to 16 bit accuracy and will substitute the "missing" parts regardless? Or would a 192khz signal accelerate this process with regards to how the mscaler operates here as compared to standard redbook files?

If I am not wrong, let mscaler to the up-sampling job to the original audio signal, and there is a toggle to 1/2M, 1M or ??? "Selectable upsampling: 1x selectable switch providing three sample rates" from chord official website : http://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/blu-mk-2/

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3,087 of 4,904
This doesn't really answer my question but thankyou for your input.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #3,088 of 4,904
I tried 3 or 4 sources into Blu2 some had the ability to upscale some did not. I was surprised that any upscaling didn’t matter or made things worse and all 4 sources no matter their jitter/phase noise sounded the same. This allowed me to simplify my system Just an N10, Blu2 and Dave. Dave also allowed me to remove the preamp from my system another simplification and improvement! As an aside I was never 100% satisfied with either of my preamps the Spectral DMC 30ss II was very clean and transparent the DMC 20 II was dynamic and rich. Dave solved the problem it is both, very happy not having to compromise there!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,089 of 4,904
The mscaler is unique in this regard in comparison to any other piece of hi-fi component/tech.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #3,090 of 4,904

I am not quite sure what you mean by "would a 192khz signal accelerate this process with regards to how the mscaler operates here as compared to standard redbook files?".

With Blu2 I have tried some 192 MHz files which were recorded as 192 MHz files as opposed to being upsampled. I compare these through Blu2 compared to the 44.1 MHz versions of the same recording also fed through Blu2. For whatever reason, I preferred the 192 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back