Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 9, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #3,391 of 4,904
With my BluMK2/Dave combo I am unable to use BNC 1/2 dual input, Dave does not recognize dual BNC input, only a single input. BNC 3/4 dual input works, but I do have occasional drop-outs when using USB input (not when using the CD player)... any suggestions???
I had the same issue when I used the stock bnc cords that came with blu2. I tried ferrites, multiple configurations, nothing solved the problem. I swapped out the bnc’s for these:
3 Foot HD-SDI 3G/6G RG6 BNC to BNC Video Coaxial Cable (75 Ohm) Purple 4.5Ghz Made in the USA by Custom Cable Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RK2RDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_80T8AbEGMHB9K
No problem since. Works flawlessly

May 9, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #3,392 of 4,904
Yes it is. But I assume there is a simple explanation - probably that there is no direct connection between the BNC input and output earths.

If it helps, I have access to two Daves and have just tested the continuity between the earth/screen of all inputs and outputs and also to the earth pin of the mains. There is full continuity between the earth side of all sockets. At first I thought there might be a faulty one but I think that was just a poor contact with the tester. They all test fine now.

So it might just be worth testing the earth continuity between all of your Dave inputs/outputs. If there is full continuity between all the earth side of the sockets on your Dave then I am even more perplexed as to what your extra earth wire is doing.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #3,394 of 4,904
I had the same issue when I used the stock bnc cords that came with blu2. I tried ferrites, multiple configurations, nothing solved the problem. I swapped out the bnc’s for these:
3 Foot HD-SDI 3G/6G RG6 BNC to BNC Video Coaxial Cable (75 Ohm) Purple 4.5Ghz Made in the USA by Custom Cable Connection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RK2RDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_80T8AbEGMHB9K
No problem since. Works flawlessly

I use a pair of Clearer Audio silverline optimus reference BNC>BNC digital cables, hence I'm a little reluctant to swap them out... there shouldn't be a quality issue with these cables!?

May 9, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,395 of 4,904
I’d be grateful if you could explain how that’s done, and also for the Blu2.

Was that question to me? If so I simply held the test probe against the Dave mains earth contact and then sequentially tested the earth continuity with all the sockets. As they all had continuity with the earth they will also have continuity with each other but I also did some random socket to socket tests. Same can be done with blu2.

Is that what you meant?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CBc3-g-pQ

May 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,396 of 4,904
I use a pair of Clearer Audio silverline optimus reference BNC>BNC digital cables, hence I'm a little reluctant to swap them out... there shouldn't be a quality issue with these cables!?
I’d be reluctant to swap them out too. My only worry is that the problem you’re having sounds exactly like the issue I had until I changed cables. Have you compared a single connection with one of the stock bnc cables to your clearer audio bnc? I discovered one of my stock bnc’s was defective by testing each cable individually from blu2-> dave.

May 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #3,397 of 4,904
Was that question to me? If so I simply held the test probe against the Dave mains earth contact and then sequentially tested the earth continuity with all the sockets. As they all had continuity with the earth they will also have continuity with each other but I also did some random socket to socket tests. Same can be done with blu2.

Is that what you meant?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CBc3-g-pQ

Thanks, it was. Not sure what else I could have meant.

Lacking a test probe, but I think I’ve seen that kind of thing in Sci-Fi movies. It sort of hums doesn’t it?

I do have a multimeter which I used to use to bias valves, Does that bears any resemblance to said probe, and if so, how is continuity registered? I’m not electrically qualified.

May 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,398 of 4,904
Thanks, it was. Not sure what else I could have meant.

Lacking a test probe, but I think I’ve seen that kind of thing in Sci-Fi movies. It sort of hums doesn’t it?

I do have a multimeter which I used to use to bias valves, Does that bears any resemblance to said probe, and if so, how is continuity registered? I’m not electrically qualified.

I just set my resistivity setting to beep if there is continuity. Alternatively if your MM doesn't beep you could just measure the resistance. As a guide I have just measured between all sockets and the mains earth pin with an LCR meter and get between 0.164 and 0.166 ohms for all of them although at that low resistance there is likely to be variation between meters.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,399 of 4,904
Can you post a picture of the back of your Blu2 and Dave? I have no issues with CA coax. Make sure you are connected to the dual bnc outputs

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,400 of 4,904
Can you post a picture of the back of your Blu2 and Dave? I have no issues with CA coax. Make sure you are connected to the dual bnc outputs

BLU-DAVE.jpg

May 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,401 of 4,904
Here is an interesting conundrum with an unexpected solution.

I have a DAVE and Blu 2. I also have a nice turntable - Kuzma Stabi Reference, 4 Point Arm, Van Den Hul cartridge. I have been getting ground loop hum from the turntable. I have tried multiple phono stages and cartridges, and the problem remains.

Today I spent hours tracking down the source of the ground loop, by disconnecting everything in my system and reconnecting one by one. It turns out the source of hum was the Blu 2. Connecting the 2 BNC cables to the DAVE produced a ground loop. The DAVE by itself was fine. It wasn't anything connected to the Blu 2, but the Blu 2 itself.

I tried ferrites on the BNC cables - no effect. I tried lifting the ground to the Blu 2 - no effect. Then I did something by accident: I put a wire across the the outside of the input and output BNC sockets - ie I connected the BNC input ground to the output ground. This removed the ground loop completely! It also hasn't affected the operation of the Blu 2.

Does this suggest an issue with the Blu 2's grounding scheme?

Are all components in your system connected to a single mains distributor or conditioner? If the Dave and Blu2 or any other components are powered from power sockets in different locations or circuits, ground loops can easily occur. All grounds in your system should be connected to the same earth. Have you checked the polarity of your power cables? Have you tried swapping power cables?

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,402 of 4,904
41D9B4E0-3000-4049-8E9F-0011A8322D7E.gif
Crickey

May 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,403 of 4,904
The manual states that with the sample rate switch up that you get the original sample rate of the source, e.g 44kHz. But this doesn’t seem to be true as the sample rate on Dave shows 176kHz, and we know this is using 25% of the taps. So is the manual wrong? It also means it is not the same as the source signal going straight to Dave either so A/B comparisons are not possible.

May 9, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #3,404 of 4,904
The manual states that with the sample rate switch up that you get the original sample rate of the source, e.g 44kHz. But this doesn’t seem to be true as the sample rate on Dave shows 176kHz, and we know this is using 25% of the taps. So is the manual wrong? It also means it is not the same as the source signal going straight to Dave either so A/B comparisons are not possible.
What happens if you only use a single BNC cable? Blu 2 has a separate BNC socket which is for use in "single data mode" as far as I can tell (labelled as 7 in the picture of the rear of Blu 2 in the manual).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back