Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 26, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #3,121 of 4,904
On the back of Blu 2, the dither switch can be set to on. For USB and BNC inputs only, instead of applying dither, it changes Blu 2 processing to use 666,000 taps but with only 0.1 second of delay.

0.1s is still troublesome in my view, but it's much better than 0.6s.
Ok, well that's better than nothing I suppose. I wonder if the AV synch in any of the bluray players can help although a player is usually compensating for slow video, not audio

Mar 26, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #3,122 of 4,904
Ok, well that's better than nothing I suppose. I wonder if the AV synch in any of the bluray players can help although a player is usually compensating for slow video, not audio

Assuming you're watching on a large TV -- there are HDMI delay boxes that can delay up to a handful of frames (like 4-6)... at 29.97 frames per second, that gives you more than 0.1s.

The Roland VC-1-DL is avail on Amazon -- you can try it out and return it if it doesn't work for you. It supports up to 4.5 frames of delay.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/vc1dl_manual_e01.pdf page 15:

. Delay Dials These set the amount of delay for video and audio. You can set the amount of delay independently for video and audio, in a range of 0 to 9 fields (0 to 4.5 frames) for each. Use a flathead screwdriver to turn the dials.

It only does HD though. I've seen ones that go beyond HD, but not in HDMI (i.e. I've seen them in SDI only for pro-A/V, but bec of copyright law, SDI cannot work with HDCP content).

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #3,123 of 4,904
Assuming you're watching on a large TV -- there are HDMI delay boxes that can delay up to a handful of frames (like 4-6)... at 29.97 frames per second, that gives you more than 0.1s.

The Roland VC-1-DL is avail on Amazon -- you can try it out and return it if it doesn't work for you. It supports up to 4.5 frames of delay.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/vc1dl_manual_e01.pdf page 15:

. Delay Dials These set the amount of delay for video and audio. You can set the amount of delay independently for video and audio, in a range of 0 to 9 fields (0 to 4.5 frames) for each. Use a flathead screwdriver to turn the dials.

It only does HD though. I've seen ones that go beyond HD, but not in HDMI (i.e. I've seen them in SDI only for pro-A/V, but bec of copyright law, SDI cannot work with HDCP content).
Awesome! Have you tried it Ray?

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3,124 of 4,904
Awesome! Have you tried it Ray?

Not this model.

I actually work on digital video distribution software professionally and we have used a variety of similar devices to both correct sync issues and also to introduce sync errors for testing -- but they are all SDI based, which won't work for the home (bec of the copyright protection issues). I found this one based on knowledge of the general capability and looking around... and suggested it as a concrete example.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #3,125 of 4,904
Blu2Dave owners that use this combo for both 2 channel and headphones, how much of the m-scaler magic comes through on your headphones vs your 2 channel system? Trying to understand the degree to which a TOTL headphone scales with Blu2 relative to hi-end 2 channel system... thx

BluDave through good headphones is an excellent experience and it is a lot easier to get right than going through a speaker setup. I primarily use speakers in my (main) BluDave system and I was quite shocked at how good it sounded when I first plugged my HE-1000 V2 phones directly into the BluDave. So much so that it clearly highlighted that my speakers of 7-8 years standing were really holding BluDave back and, when I realised this, their days were unfortunately numbered.

In terms of comparing one vs the other, I find that they can be very similar, just with speakers giving a more palpable, physical experience as you would expect. I’m pretty sure though that the first time you try your headphones directly into a BluDave, you will be quite surprised.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,126 of 4,904
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,127 of 4,904
Just tested some ethernet cables for BluDave.

1. sotm cat7 only: Best match to BluDave CD player's performance. If Supra CAT8 gives 80% of CD transport performance, this cable reaches at least 95% of the CD transport. But given the huge price difference, Supra 8 is actually an excellent performer.
2. supra cat8 only: flat, warm, less resolving.
3. wireworld platinum starlight 7 only: much flatter than 2, resolving, but incorrect timbre. This is a huge disappointment given the high price of this cable.
4. sotm black only: resolving, flatter compare to 1, not as smooth as 1, not much to complain.
5. sotm cat7->iso-cat6->sotm cat7: this actually sounds strange, voices are further away, narrower but deeper soundstage which is not the same as the CD transport at all, microdynamics are more difficult to appreciate.
6. sotm cat7->iso-cat6->sotm black/supra cat8/wireworld pltatinum: lan filter hurts microdynamics
7. sotm black->iso-cat6->supra cat8/wireworld platinum: see 6
8. supra cat8->iso-cat6->wireworld platinum/supra cat8: see 6
9. with vs without iR in chain: once again, iso-regen hurts microdynamics when connected after ultrarendu.
10. sonore dc4 vs oem dc cable for uR: this is a big surprise, dc4 beats the oem dc cable out of water. The difference is quite obvious and not small. More forward sound. Fantastic dynamics and transparency.
11. uR+sotm cat7+dc4 vs iR+USB: Not a real comparison, the former wins with a good margin in every category.

Listening to these two sotm cat7 cables back and forth. They actually sound a little bit different which is again surprising. One is more resolving and have better dynamics than the other. Maybe I haven't given it enough time to burn in?

For me, I will return/sell everything else but keep the better sounding sotm cat7 cable. I see no benefit by using ISO-Cat6 filter at all, it really suppress microdynamics and change the soundstage in an unusual way.

Cheers:)

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #3,128 of 4,904
deleted

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #3,129 of 4,904
Hi Learpot, all,

You may like to try this cat8 cable for your BluDave too: ELECOM Cat 8 Standard.

See attach pix of the box.

I am using this between my NAS to Switch to SOtM SMS200 for my Hugo2 :)

cat8M.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3,130 of 4,904
If your iMac has an optical output, use that for your Hugo 2. It's how the Hugo 2 is supposed to sound. Unplug the USB connection though, or you'll spoil the sound.

Now playing: St. South - Inure

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3,131 of 4,904
If your iMac has an optical output, use that for your Hugo 2. It's how the Hugo 2 is supposed to sound. Unplug the USB connection though, or you'll spoil the sound.

Ok. Will get a cable and give it a try :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,132 of 4,904
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #3,133 of 4,904
Hugo 2 box contains an optical cable :)

Ok. Found the optical cable and tried optical vs usb to Hugo2 from my iMac.

For me the optical was slightly better so will be using it more for pcm files playback.

Jawed, thanks for the suggestion :):beer:

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #3,134 of 4,904
Just got more ethernet cables for BluDave.
[/ATTACH]

Hello @learpot! According to your signature, it looks like you are following two different routes to play PCM vs DSD.

Should we take it as that you prefer (sound quality-wise) DSD going natively through DAVE in DSD+ mode, over the more complex DSD > PCM (Blu2) > PCM+ (DAVE) path?

Your opinion would help understanding what is the actual field of application of Blu2, so to use it at best for people (like me :)) having both PCM (80% in my case) and dsf (20%) files.

Thank you in advance,
Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back