Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #3,137 of 4,904
Just got more ethernet cables for BluDave.
Will plan to do the following tests:

1. sotm cat7 only
2. supra cat8 only
3. wireworld platinum starlight 7 only
4. sotm black only
5. sotm cat7->iso-cat6->sotm cat7
6. sotm cat7->iso-cat6->sotm black/supra cat8/wireworld pltatinum
7. sotm black->iso-cat6->supra cat8/wireworld platinum
8. supra cat8->wireworld platinum/supra cat8
9. with vs without iR in chain
10. sonore dc4 vs oem dc cable for uR

Will update results shortly...

Another one to consider:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/91828/?l-id=rgm_item_en_rvp_widget

Oyaide makes good stuff generally and this isn't too pricy.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #3,138 of 4,904
Hello @learpot! According to your signature, it looks like you are following two different routes to play PCM vs DSD.

Should we take it as that you prefer (sound quality-wise) DSD going natively through DAVE in DSD+ mode, over the more complex DSD > PCM (Blu2) > PCM+ (DAVE) path?

Your opinion would help understanding what is the actual field of application of Blu2, so to use it at best for people (like me :)) having both PCM (80% in my case) and dsf (20%) files.

Thank you in advance,
Simone

Hi, Simone,

I prefer DSD files going through Dave in PCM+ mode with iSO-Regen. This route gives me the best holographic sound from the DSD files. If I stream dsd files directly into blu2 through ultrarendu or USB, the pcm up-conversion from blu2 will make the dsd files lose its holographic sound signature. The soundstage sounds compressed and flat and less transparent to my ears. I have similar music collection proportion like you do (80% PCM, 20% DSD). I use Blu2 only for PCM upsampling which is much smoother than Dave's native playback. Also, I use blu2 as reference cd transport so I could adjust my streamer/cable/adapter/software to match its performance.

Thanks.

Best.

Dan

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3,139 of 4,904
I prefer DSD files going through Dave in PCM+ mode with iSO-Regen. This route gives me the best holographic sound from the DSD files. If I stream dsd files directly into blu2 through ultrarendu or USB, the pcm up-conversion from blu2 will make the dsd files lose its holographic sound signature.

Thank you for your reply, Dan.

Your experience seems to confirm that the return of investment from getting a Blu2Dave system is maximum if we heavily rely on PCM files and CDs.

@Rob Watts made very clear his opinion about DSD being technically flawed compared to high res PCM, and Blu2 being marketed by Chord as an "upscaling CD transport" makes very reasonable that it doesn't process DSD files in direct mode.

On the other hand, while writing this I am listening to the DSD256 version of the Mozart Violin Concert in D from 2L through DAVE (DSD+ mode in my case), which I definitely prefer compared to the CD-quality version of the same track (not having heard it through Blu2, though), so I feel a bit uncomfortable about committing to a PCM-centric strategy in the upgrade of my audio gear, also considering the investment required by a Blu2 purchase.

I am wondering if the M-Scaler technology could be applied also to a DSD path, where any DSD would be upscaled to DSD512 and channeled to DAVE in DSD+ mode. Would this make sense on a technical basis, and more important, would this bring more sonic pleasure to our ears?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,140 of 4,904
After having spent several days with the Blu2, I am pleased to report that all the positive comments are true. What surprises me is that even on highly synthetic music genres (like EDM), it provides an uplift. (Though to me, for mostly vocal tracks, I don't sense much of a difference.) From my personal upgrade path (coming from a PS DSSr Huron), I still feel DAVE was a bigger step than the Blu2 step, but there is no question that Blu2 is a good way to support the global economy! And the production lead times reported were accurate -- actually early by a 2 weeks.

I am also going to retract a gripe I stated earlier about not having an explciit input source switch option. Now that I have my PC system audio on S/PDIF and player on USB, the auto-switching works very conveniently! (Previously, I had PC system audio on USB and was worried about new mail notifications interrupting the music).

Though one new aesthetic gripe is -- can we not invest a $1 more on an OLED display instead of the retro green LED? (But as I use it only for the M-Scaler, I've since pushed it further back so the display is hidden from view.)

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #3,141 of 4,904
After having spent several days with the Blu2, I am pleased to report that all the positive comments are true. What surprises me is that even on highly synthetic music genres (like EDM), it provides an uplift. (Though to me, for mostly vocal tracks, I don't sense much of a difference.) From my personal upgrade path (coming from a PS DSSr Huron), I still feel DAVE was a bigger step than the Blu2 step, but there is no question that Blu2 is a good way to support the global economy! And the production lead times reported were accurate -- actually early by a 2 weeks.

I am also going to retract a gripe I stated earlier about not having an explciit input source switch option. Now that I have my PC system audio on S/PDIF and player on USB, the auto-switching works very conveniently! (Previously, I had PC system audio on USB and was worried about new mail notifications interrupting the music).

Though one new aesthetic gripe is -- can we not invest a $1 more on an OLED display instead of the retro green LED? (But as I use it only for the M-Scaler, I've since pushed it further back so the display is hidden from view.)

Ah, yes, the auto switching is very convenient and once used to it I find it much easier than manual switching.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,143 of 4,904
Also, I use blu2 as reference cd transport so I could adjust my streamer/cable/adapter/software to match its performance.

Hi Dan,

I was thinking about this part of your kind reply, which I overlooked initially.

I did not consider this aspect of the added value of the Blu2, which is very relevant instead. For us audiophiles (count me as audiofool :)), the endless quest for fine tuning and/or upgrades can be frustrating and inconclusive due to just the lack of a reference point, and a set-up like the Blu2 (digital transport) combined to DAVE could indeed be considered a very solid digital reproduction benchmark (as per the today's status of this fast evolving technology, at least).

Having a Blu2 in my system would help me as well to complete my digital front end with a practical target (i.e. CD playback through Blu2) readily available, while uplifting at the same time the DAVE performances with all my PCM material.

Thank you for pointing out this in your post, that I now find enlightening ... or it is just me trying to convince myself about the good reasons for buying a Blu2 now instead of waiting for a standalone M-Scaler in the future :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #3,144 of 4,904
Occasionally I come across a CD product which stands out and my recent purchase of the Eagles first 6 studio albums box remasters set is one of those occasions. (Don’t roll your eyes). I never used to be a fan before I bought Blu MkII M Scaler. The musicality of performances and quality of recording is exceptional though imo and Blu II just seems to love these performances. It has converted me and tbh I cannot understand why these 6 Albums would sell for just £2 each. It’s ridiculous. My best purchase so far this year.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studio-Alb...ie=UTF8&qid=1522660682&sr=1-4&keywords=eagles

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #3,145 of 4,904
Occasionally I come across a CD product which stands out and my recent purchase of the Eagles first 6 studio albums box remasters set is one of those occasions. (Don’t roll your eyes). I never used to be a fan before I bought Blu MkII M Scaler. The musicality of performances and quality of recording is exceptional though imo and Blu II just seems to love these performances. It has converted me and tbh I cannot understand why these 6 Albums would sell for just £2 each. It’s ridiculous. My best purchase so far this year.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studio-Alb...ie=UTF8&qid=1522660682&sr=1-4&keywords=eagles

Thanks for the tip. Amazing value.

I just checked and the Hi Res download on Qobuz is £112 (£74 with Sublime account) and £98 for the CD quality download.

I've just ordered the boxset from Amazon to arrive tomorrow.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #3,146 of 4,904
I am about to take delivery of a demo Blu2 to make the DaveBlu2 combo.

Is there a CD that anyone would recomend that clearly demonstrates the difference between the Dave and DaveBlu2 combo, prefer non classical.

Thanks

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #3,147 of 4,904
Clive this is something of an acquired taste I must admit but if you like quirky 70’s Prog Rock then it may be for you. These recordings have such a live studio performance feel that the opening track is a magnificent grandstand for Blu II’s ‘being there’ drive and immediacy. I found it so infectious that when I got it I just played that track over and over. It had me rather animated. :)

Hocus Pocus
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hocus-Pocu...=UTF8&qid=1522667414&sr=1-1&keywords=focus+cd

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #3,148 of 4,904
I am about to take delivery of a demo Blu2 to make the DaveBlu2 combo.

Is there a CD that anyone would recomend that clearly demonstrates the difference between the Dave and DaveBlu2 combo, prefer non classical.

Thanks

I would say anything that is familiar to you. That way you won't have to 'get your eye in' with unfamiliar music. It took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind.

Have fun.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #3,149 of 4,904
You need to ask what tune to play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back