Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 5, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #3,166 of 4,904
Yes, dual stock bnc. I have ferrites and other bnc I’ll experiment with later but I suspect it’ll only be a marginal improvement after this change. I prefer to listen for a few weeks before making any changes, however minor they may be.

Good plan. I found Blu2 was the main event and any ferrites or BNC cable swops was just fine tuning in the periphery.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #3,167 of 4,904
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,168 of 4,904
Clive if you like acoustic music another excellent CD by which to showcase Blu MkII is ‘Time (the Revelator)’ by Gillian Welch. It is about as good as recordings get at this time imo (pre-Davina that is!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Revel...&qid=1523003622&sr=1-4&keywords=gillian+welch
Thank you I have ordered and due tomorrow.
In the meantime the Blu2 has arrived along with Chord Sarum T, Clearer Audio (burning in over night) and some cheap amphenol cables.
So far the blu2 mellows the Dave and makes the sound more natural.
Too soon to give a report as of yet but more to follow....
So far tried the Chord and Clearer cables ...?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #3,169 of 4,904
How much do you think a stand alone m-scaler will cost. No point buying a Qutest for £1000 and strapping a £2-3000 m-scaler to it. So maybe £1000? especially if it significantly boosts the SQ as it does with DAVE.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #3,170 of 4,904
How much do you think a stand alone m-scaler will cost. No point buying a Qutest for £1000 and strapping a £2-3000 m-scaler to it. So maybe £1000? especially if it significantly boosts the SQ as it does with DAVE.

That is the 64,000 dollar question.

Only Chord know the answer.

It might be there is a range of them eventually but initially I doubt that any stand alone MScaler as good as the one in Blu2 will be as little as £1000. My reasoning there is that it would kill sales of Blu2 and whilst they can sell as many Blu2 as they can make I would have thought that would want to keep doing that.

More likely perhaps is that there might be a stand alone MScaler that addresses some of the issues of Blu2 ie optical input, RF noise etc and that there might be a good market for that at £5000 to £6000.

But, hey, we will only know the answer when it comes out.

Meanwhile I have a side bet with another forum member that there will be nothing this year.

So all this means that you probably have at least as much a chance of being right as I do.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,172 of 4,904
I would have thought that considering the amount of hardware for the Blu2 the cost of a stand alone m-scaler would be considerably less? If it is in th £5-6000 region this would be beyond what many Hugo 2 or Qutest DAC purchasers would be willing to pay I would have thought?

I have heard the Blu2 with DAVE many times and although I would say it greatly enhances DAVEs performance it is not double the performance but maybe strapped to a Qutest it would significantly up the performance level approaching DAVE SQ. So if it came in around £6000 total (DAC +m-scaler) I suppose this would be very good value considering DAVE + Blu2 M-scaler costs £16000+?

Interesting times ahead I think. The real question would be just how good the m-scaler sounds with a Qutest.

Has anyone tried strapping Blu2 to a Qutest yet?

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #3,173 of 4,904
We are all guessing a cost with no calculations. SHOULD we not start with the cost of the Blu2 less the cost of the Blu transport.
Stating at £1500.00 adding the cost of a box and power supply etc plus profit and overheads say £4 K ...?

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #3,174 of 4,904
We are all guessing a cost with no calculations. SHOULD we not start with the cost of the Blu2 less the cost of the Blu transport.
Stating at £1500.00 adding the cost of a box and power supply etc plus profit and overheads say £4 K ...?

There you go guessing as well. Hilarious.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,175 of 4,904
We should also be talking about what inputs are required, what kind of remote control, will you need two remote controls, one for the M-Scaler and one for the DAVE? I’d certainly like to be able to directly select inputs, but I am not sure how many I need - USB for my laptop, toslink for my streamer, maybe another toslink for my tv (if I ever had it connected to my stereo). As far as the cost is concerned I am happy to pay a decent price, but removing the cd mech, electronics, and complicated case work with springy lid should save a couple or three grand at least. Would be nice to have a properly finished case too with controls and back panel labelled intelligibly. And it is about time that Chord defined the interface between it and the DAC and delivered cables and ferrites that are optimised. Or even better, removed the need for 2m cables and ferrites. (If possible).

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,177 of 4,904
Guessing, ...? Well only for the box etc and not the mscaler. At least I have a start point.
Glad I made you smile...

Enlighten me about where you get the cost for the MScaler including development work and coding?

And yes you made me smile so thanks for that.

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3,179 of 4,904
The cost was easy to work out one product minus the other.

That probably explains the wrong answer.

There you go. You have made me smile again!

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,180 of 4,904
That probably explains the wrong answer.

There you go. You have made me smile again!

Chord Blu CD Transport £ 6499.00, Chord Blu 2 £ £7995.00.
Difference between the two one cheaper without the Mscaler by £1496.00 so I deduce that the Mscaler part is around £1500.00.
Its a starting point as the difference is the Mscaler Tech.
:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back