Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,216 of 1,746
I think it's a reasonable concern. And it's not really impacting the sales of Chord's products if somebody's considering buying a 2Qute over Hugo.

I do think however, that the overly defensive attitudes towards any constructive criticism turns off other potential customers to Chord's products because it suggest they can't stand on their own merits. For me at least, $2,000 is a significant amount to drop on a DAC and any minor potential for battery failure is too risky. With the Mojo It's not as bad a risk because it's less expensive. Plus the 2qute over Hugo just offers better value for desktop only usage.

I'm actually considering a current gen 2qute to replace my Mojo. I've typically been a Schiit guy, having owned the Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit previously. I'm also considering just buying the Modi Multibit and Eitr and comparing it side by side to the Mojo as a sanity check to see of I want to move up the Chord Ladder. I've enjoyed the Mojo for what it is. The Hugo 2 version of 2qute would be ideal, but I have no idea of a timeframe. Could be another year or more.

You really are the most pessimistic person that I have come across regarding batteries. Do you have any hard evidence that would pass rigorous scientific and engineering scrutiny, for opining that the Hugo 2 batteries are likely to fail within 2 years?
If not, then you are posting unfounded claims, that will negatively impact the sales of Chord products, and causing Chord financial damage.
I have read your pessimistic posts for 18 months now, and have yet to see any evidence of your oft forcasted mountains of Chord dacs needing to be returned, because of failed batteries.
Please be understanding that given that track record of failed predictions, you should be more circumspect when you try to scare forum members away from buying chord products.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,217 of 1,746
What I'm not sure some are aware of is that the Hugo 2 goes in to desktop mode when plugged in over 24 hours. I've seen too many reports of excessively shortened battery life from the Mojo being constantly plugged in and I'm glad that Rob has implemented the desktop mode in the Hugo 2.

It will be in desktop mode as long as the charger is connected. If you turn Hugo 2 off, then it will charge the battery to 100%, then turn off the charger. Normally, you would leave it on all the time in desktop mode, as it only consumes 2W, the battery voltage won't wear the battery out, and the battery is not being charged / discharged, as charger current matches Hugo 2 current draw. This strategy gives the maximum life possible; also the power supply is such that if the battery capacity falls to 0%, Hugo 2 will still function with the charger connected.

I have no idea of the audible difference between the 2Cute and Hugo 2, but from what I gather, for those that want to use the Hugo 2 as a desktop device it should be fine for battery life. Of course this isn't saying anything about regular charge/discharge cycles and the longevity of the batteries overall. I just thought it would be worth sharing for those considering options for a desktop DAC.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,218 of 1,746
I'm actually considering a current gen 2qute to replace my Mojo. I've typically been a Schiit guy, having owned the Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit previously. I'm also considering just buying the Modi Multibit and Eitr and comparing it side by side to the Mojo as a sanity check to see of I want to move up the Chord Ladder.

My preference (based on owning them—multiple times for the Mojo and Modi Multibit) would be: 2Qute > Mojo > Modi Multibit

They all sound great, though, and you'd have to compare them yourself to see which you prefer.

Here's a brief excerpt from a post of mine that touched upon how they compared with one track:

The attack and echo of the drums, the energy of the guitars, etc. are presented differently, for example. The Modi Multibit was tubey and emotional, the 2Qute was more resolving and aggressive, and the Mojo is somewhere in-between. (Though the MMB can be more aggressive than the Mojo, but in a way that I'd describe as crude.)

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,219 of 1,746
Chord 2qute issues with MPD LMS Linux (DSD OVER PCM) DOP.

Have tried everything for solving these annoying 1-2 sec pause every 30-60 mins, so maybe it's
time to see If there is a solution to this.

When I play LMS (doing it right now) with the following settings for squeezelite

/usr/bin/squeezelite -o front:CARD=D2Qute,DEV=0 -n michael -a 80 4 -b 100000 80000 -D -p 95 -s 172.16.0.93

using either my Odroid C1+ , 4 different (x86_64) Laptops 1Gbit network, its just a matter of time before these
annoying stops (1-2 secs) in the music comes.

MPD is more frequent but its also comes when using LMS , its just a matter of time , and I never have been more than 3 hours
before it happend.

I have had it once playing directly from SSD disk (MPD) and once playing from ffmpeg.

I have used virtual also different kinds of Linux bases OS'es (Debian,Ubuntu,Arch) all have these issues.

I hope Chord would look into these issues as it is a problem for us not using any proprietary OSES like Microsoft and Mac.

Just started this thread on diyaudio.com as I have some progress.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/310578-chord-2qute-dop-challenge.html

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,220 of 1,746
Has there been any rumblings of a Chord 2Qute-2 yet? The Hugo2 is unfortunately out of my reach, but a sequel to the 2Qute would be perfect.
If released, I'm hoping Mr Watts might consider making the default output level 2V, to better match what the majority of amplifiers are designed for with CD/digital, and to allow more freedom of the volume control.
An on/off switch, and balanced outputs would be the cherry on the cake too.
Hope the form factor & design stays the same.
Fingers tightly crossed! :wink:

John.

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #1,221 of 1,746
Has there been any rumblings of a Chord 2Qute-2 yet? The Hugo2 is unfortunately out of my reach, but a sequel to the 2Qute would be perfect.
If released, I'm hoping Mr Watts might consider making the default output level 2V, to better match what the majority of amplifiers are designed for with CD/digital, and to allow more freedom of the volume control.
An on/off switch, and balanced outputs would be the cherry on the cake too.
Hope the form factor & design stays the same.
Fingers tightly crossed! :wink:

John.

Hope not. If I can't use the 3Qute's amp to drive my efficient speakers direct, as I do currently with the 2Qute, I won't be a buyer.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,223 of 1,746
I randomly bought this weeks Hi-Fi Choice magazine. There was a readers question (not from me by the way), which said,

"The 2Qute is no good for me as I have red/green colour blindness".

The was a reply from Hi-Fi Choice, that went something like, Chord could think about this. However the cost of implementing a display might be higher, and take up more space changing the DAC shape.

Anyway Heads up that Hi-Fi Choice are producing their review of the Hugo 2, in next month's edition.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,224 of 1,746
I randomly bought this weeks Hi-Fi Choice magazine. There was a readers question (not from me by the way), which said,

"The 2Qute is no good for me as I have red/green colour blindness".

The was a reply from Hi-Fi Choice, that went something like, Chord could think about this. However the cost of implementing a display might be higher, and take up more space changing the DAC shape.

Anyway Heads up that Hi-Fi Choice are producing their review of the Hugo 2, in next month's edition.

Looking forward to their review; So far my favorite review has been from avforums: https://www.avforums.com/review/chord-electronics-hugo-2-dac-review.13727

IMO it's one of the most neutral and highly detailed reviews I've yet read.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,225 of 1,746
Looking forward to their review; So far my favorite review has been from avforums: https://www.avforums.com/review/chord-electronics-hugo-2-dac-review.13727

IMO it's one of the most neutral and highly detailed reviews I've yet read.
Rather more fact based than some of the discussion comments:
  • "Chord's products have a slight midrange boost"
  • "I haven't heard any of them yet,but if portability is not a priority,anyone shopping for a DAC in this price range should check out the offerings from Holo,Denafrips,Soekris,Schiit and others."
  • etc
@psikey comments being the honourable exception.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,226 of 1,746
I've been using an IPod (128gb) as a transport connected to a 2qute and Decware CSP3 apm for about 2 years but there have been some issues playing music recently. The IPod randomly stops playing songs. I'm on the iOS 11 public beta now but there is no improvement. So, I'm thinking about buying a new DAP supporting USB audio out. Has anyone tried to use different transports with 2Qute using via USB ? If yes, does the source make any difference in sound quality? I was thinking about buying an Astell & Kern Kann but I'm not sure if I need to spend $1000 if I can buy something much cheaper and still have the same sound quality. I know that the digital source should not make any difference when connected to the external DAC but I just want to be sure. :) Thanks.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,227 of 1,746
I've been using an IPod (128gb) as a transport connected to a 2qute and Decware CSP3 apm for about 2 years but there have been some issues playing music recently. The IPod randomly stops playing songs. I'm on the iOS 11 public beta now but there is no improvement. So, I'm thinking about buying a new DAP supporting USB audio out. Has anyone tried to use different transports with 2Qute using via USB ? If yes, does the source make any difference in sound quality? I was thinking about buying an Astell & Kern Kann but I'm not sure if I need to spend $1000 if I can buy something much cheaper and still have the same sound quality. I know that the digital source should not make any difference when connected to the external DAC but I just want to be sure. :) Thanks.

Why not just use a computer as your source? It's what most of us do.

Experienced audiophiles know that better digital sources can sound better. Check out this thread for lots of discussion on the topic:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...r-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box.787020/

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #1,229 of 1,746
I'm looking for something more portable. Actually, I've tried to use my Mac via usb but it sounded much worse than the IPod.

It's more difficult to get bit-perfect output on a Mac, but it's something you should research and try. (It's easy to do on a Windows PC.) This could improve the sound.

Why do you need something portable? The 2Qute isn't exactly portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back