Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,231 of 1,746
Everything is standing on my bedside table. Not too much space for more components. :)

Would it be possible to have some of the equipment elsewhere while controlling it from your bedside?

You can get better sound quality than a luxury DAP by using a network player and music server.

The person who started that thread I linked to discovered that the SOtM sMS-200 network player beat alternative products that cost five figures despite it only being $450. You can control it remotely with a smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. There are also music servers you can pair it with and store your files on, such as the Small Green Computer sonicTransporter. Or you can just use hard drives for storage and a smartphone or tablet to control the network player. (You may need another device to function as the server in this case.) There are many possibilities.

I just wanted to bring this solution to your attention since it's a much better value in my eyes.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,232 of 1,746
Would it be possible to have some of the equipment elsewhere while controlling it from your beside? You can get better sound quality than a luxury DAP by using a network player and music server.

The person who started that thread I linked to discovered that the SOtM sMS-200 network player beat alternative products that cost five figures despite it only being $450. You can control it remotely with a smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. There are also music servers you can pair it with and store your files on, such as the Small Green Computer sonicTransporter. Or you can just use basic hard drives for storage and a smartphone or tablet to control the network player. There are many possibilities.

I just wanted to bring this solution to your attention since it's a much better value in my eyes.

Thank you for your advise and help. I need to do more research. My current setup sounded great to me (Ipod-lighting to usb-usb heimdall 2-2qute powered by 2x uptone lps1 in series 5V+7V-Decware CSP3, and using ZMF Atticus HP.) But I would definitely prefer more that 128gb space source.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,233 of 1,746
How does the 2Qute compare to the Gumby?

I see a used 2Qute going for around £700 this side of the pond while the Gumby with Gen 5 will be £1,200 when available. I'm not averse to paying more if the Gumby is a step up.

Would a usb spdif converter like the Eitr be necessary for the 2qute?

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,234 of 1,746

I see a used 2Qute going for around £700 this side of the pond while the Gumby with Gen 5 will be £1,200 when available. I'm not averse to paying more if the Gumby is a step up.

You don't tell us what your source would be, so we are left to assume/guess that it would be something with USB out.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #1,235 of 1,746

2qute is significantly better than Gungnir Multibit for me regardless of price. I would recommend the 2qute without question but just to confuse things further I would add that I thought the Gustard X20 also comfortably beat the Gungnir Multibit.

You don't NEED spdif conversion or USB regeneration as such (and in fact when the 2qute came out much was made of the galvanic isolation on the USB input) but it certainly doesn't hurt if your digital signal's coming straight out of a regular computer. I use the UPTone Regen myself.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,237 of 1,746
2qute is significantly better than Gungnir Multibit for me regardless of price. I would recommend the 2qute without question but just to confuse things further I would add that I thought the Gustard X20 also comfortably beat the Gungnir Multibit.

You don't NEED spdif conversion or USB regeneration as such (and in fact when the 2qute came out much was made of the galvanic isolation on the USB input) but it certainly doesn't hurt if your digital signal's coming straight out of a regular computer. I use the UPTone Regen myself.

Could you elaborate and be a bit more specific?

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,240 of 1,746
Sep 24, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,244 of 1,746
People keep comparing Chord Products to Schiit Products. From my personal experience with both companies and their products, Chord is significantly better. It is shameful how much Schiit have hyped themselves up here on Head-fi. It is even more sad that people buy into it and purchase these products from Schiit. Their engineering is literally **** in my book. Next time, I suggest if there is a hype for a company also don't forget to look into reviews done by professionals. If it fits BOTH the hype here on head-fi, along with them receiving yearly sound awards from multiple professional magazines, it is the most likely their excellent engineering talking and not done by some professional schills. It is almost not fair to compare Chord to Schiit-y engineering. Peace!

I agree with many of your points. (Though Chord seems to be hyped up on Head-Fi more than Schiit in the high-end audio category.) What irks me more is that a certain site (which shall remain unnamed) more or less hates Chord and worships Schiit.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,245 of 1,746
I agree with many of your points. (Though Chord seems to be hyped up on Head-Fi more than Schiit in the high-end audio category.) What irks me more is that a certain site (which shall remain unnamed) more or less hates Chord and worships Schiit.

Yes, It's just that Chord happen to win multiple awards from different audio professional reviewing companies year after year vs. Schiit barely having won 1 award in the past 10 years or so. So you know it's a Head-fi hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back