Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Jun 13, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #451 of 1,746
Reading that the USB input doesn't drill power from the computer USB out sounds strange since ,on the Surface 3, I get an error message saying that the USB device asks too much current.

Is there people experiencing audible clicks periodically ?

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #452 of 1,746
  Reading that the USB input doesn't drill power from the computer USB out sounds strange since ,on the Surface 3, I get an error message saying that the USB device asks too much current.

Is there people experiencing audible clicks periodically ?

Quote from the designer
"Unlike Hugo, 2 Qute does draw power from the USB - this is because of the galvanic isolation - the USB chip is powered from the USB 5v, then the data is galvanic isolated from 2 Qute. The galvanic isolation gives quite a big improvement in SQ when using PC's or laptops as a source."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749582/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced/90#post_11471868

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #453 of 1,746
Thank you rocky500. I understand now what is happening. And that Surface 3 can't output to the 2Qute.

Other problem: periodically I hear a click. Some bad parameters in the ASIO driver ?

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #454 of 1,746
 Is the 2Qute not susceptible to normal hi-fi equipment resonances? Is this why it comes without any type of feet or support? I put some Mapleshade blocks underneath. I'm wondering if it's even necessary?

Put the 2Qute on an isolation stand or footers such as Stillpoints and prepared to be surprised!

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #455 of 1,746

Put the 2Qute on an isolation stand or footers such as Stillpoints and prepared to be surprised!

I just put 4 Isonodes under mine and I'm hearing a little more focused sound. Better balance as well.To early in the listening to be totally positive. no scratch that. It's definitely better and by a larger margin than I thought. I am indeed surprised, but even so it would be prudent to spend a night session or two before any further recommendation. It sounds promising though.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #456 of 1,746

I just put 4 Isonodes under mine and I'm hearing a little more focused sound. Better balance as well.To early in the listening to be totally positive. no scratch that. It's definitely better and by a larger margin than I thought. I am indeed surprised, but even so it would be prudent to spend a night session or two before any further recommendation. It sounds promising though.

Unfortunately vibration control makes a big difference. I'm considering get a 2Qute and the first thing I will do is put on my Stillpoints rack.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #457 of 1,746
Pick it up and hold it in your hands (or have someone do it for you) in the middle of a tune. If it really is susceptible to resonance you should be able to hear an instant A/B improvement. Try it ''blind'' a few times.

If not it's probably another case of expectation bias psycho-acoustical phenomena.  

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #458 of 1,746
Rob

I just woke up and my 2Qute was flashing. After a short listen early today I switched  to the Toslink input. I do this so the bright light from the usb input does not continue to shine.

I have my cd player connected  to the 2Qute via Toslink. It is not turned on and does not have a standby. I unplugged the 2Qute and then  plugged it back in and it stopped. What would cause this?

edit: It seems' fine this morning so no worries. Could have been my usb connection.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #459 of 1,746
Some of us over in Australia are trying IKEA bamboo chopping boards under our components.

It seems you don't want squishy feet but a solid contact between your component and the board to transfer any internal energy out.
Not sure it would help the 2Qute but Amplifiers, CD Players etc seems like some find it beneficial.
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

It is not too expensive and at the very least they look great! 
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #460 of 1,746
Any feedback on power conditioning or linear power supplies improving sonics? I recall someone switching cords? Does the brick have a star eight detachable cord? 

I ordered a unit but BlueBird is out of stock and waiting for new shipment.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #461 of 1,746
2 Qute is insensitive to the quality of the mains supply. Replacing the supplied PSU with a 300A car battery gave no noticeable change in SQ - unlike the original Qute which did give a big improvement.

So don't bother, as you will invalidate the warranty too.

Rob 

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #462 of 1,746
  2 Qute is insensitive to the quality of the mains supply. Replacing the supplied PSU with a 300A car battery gave no noticeable change in SQ - unlike the original Qute which did give a big improvement.

Rob 

Okay thanks Rob, looking forward to having in house in a week. :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #463 of 1,746
What about the notion that a SMPS directly/indirectly in the audio chain is not a good idea as it can potentially ''pollute'' the signal?

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #465 of 1,746

Rob 

I accidentally plugged my turntable charger into my Hugo and it did damage it and it needed to go back to the factory for repairs. 

So you are urged to take the advice of MR Rob Watts to avoid your unit being damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back