Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Dec 11, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,336 of 1,746
Still think about the name of the next 2Qute, I always figured it would be a 2Qute2. However I only just now discovered there was a Qute HD. If the 2Qute was names 2 because it followed from Qute HD. Then it makes sense the next DAC would be 3Qute.

Perhaps, but then again, there have been other name schemes in this product range before the 2Qute. The links below are in chronological order.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qute-hd/
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qx-dac-mxseries/
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/qute-ex/

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,337 of 1,746
The 2Qute seems to be the only remaining member of the Chordette range still in production.
So you also have to consider that its' successor may not be restricted to the Chordette form factor - and that could release Chord from reusing the Qute name.

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,338 of 1,746
The QuteHD standalone DAC from the Chordette range was replaced by the QuteEX, which in turn was replaced by the 2Qute which came out around 2015ish?

DAVE jr.?

I just don't want to buy the 2Qute and then successor comes out.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,340 of 1,746
I just don't want to buy the 2Qute and then successor comes out.

It won't be out for qu(i)te (get it? lol) some time now.

But I'd focus on getting the best headphones/speakers you can before bothering with it. I upgraded my speakers and downgraded to a cheap DAC (for now) but am getting far better sound than when I had the 2Qute since the transducer is going to make much more of a difference than the electronics.

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,341 of 1,746
It won't be out for qu(i)te (get it? lol) some time now.

But I'd focus on getting the best headphones/speakers you can before bothering with it. I upgraded my speakers and downgraded to a cheap DAC (for now) but am getting far better sound than when I had the 2Qute since the transducer is going to make much more of a difference than the electronics.

I keep reading this and get to thinking...

"2Qute takes the technology from the Chord Hugo and adds it to the previous model, Chord Qute EX. The result is a new super-DAC for 2015 with class-leading specifications, outstanding technical measurements and proven sonic performance. The 2Qute advances the award-winning Qute EX DAC into 2015 with the latest Hugo specifications."

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,343 of 1,746
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,344 of 1,746
Oh and the fact that it has a dedicated built in power supply was a big plus for me as well over the hugo 2 as essentially the hugo 2 battery is portable/rechargable which I don’t like as that gives it a lifespan in my opinion shorter than that of a 2qute.

Anyway these are just my opinions take it for what it’s worth but I just don’t see the point in the hugo 2 tbh after finding out more about the 2qute unless your gonna use all its features or just love the asthetic of plastic glowing balls it just seems like a waste to me in comparison looking at price to performance.

I’m looking forward at pairing it with my Mcintosh MHA100 I really cant wait :)
Hugo 2 after 24 hours plugged in, the power ball changes to pink because Desktop Mode is activated and it uses power straight from the wall and the battery will never, ever be used so it won't shorten its lifespan. You can have Hugo 2 for 1 year straight and never use the battery inside it.
2Qute is meant to be used only as a DAC for a hi-fi system. If you later want to add an amp to drive headphones, you will lose some transparency and details.
Chord equipment is meant to be used as it is, they already cut lots of signal paths just to have the cleanest sound out of them.

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,345 of 1,746
If people are waiting for 3qute with Hugo2 spec why?

Just get Hugo 2, it can be used as a dac just like qute now because of the no battery usage after 24 hours feature and as an awesome bonus you get to take it on holidays and travels...

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #1,346 of 1,746

$1,000 USD difference... Buying Tube Amp... Doesn't support DSD... Don't travel enough... Building wine/listening room... Long term goal DAVE...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,347 of 1,746
Doesn't support DSD.

What?! Where did you get this from? It uses the same DSD filter as DAVE.

Edit: see below...

OK this is a quick summary of the difficulties involved an having a DAC that has no measurable noise floor modulation, and there is a great deal more besides, as noise floor modulation occurs from a myriad of problems within DAC's.

So this is why I have to filter DSD sources - as without it we would get large amounts of noise floor modulation, and other problems - gurgle noise, distortion etc.
With this filter I wanted top match the abilities of the DSD+ mode in Dave, and I believe I have - I know get that level of sound quality. But to do that I had to have incredible levels of filter attenuation - so with much better than 200 dB, I ensure that THD and noise from the analogue is entirely limited by the DSD 64 digital performance - there is no added THD or significant noise that is not present on the file

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,348 of 1,746
2Qute is meant to be used only as a DAC for a hi-fi system. If you later want to add an amp to drive headphones, you will lose some transparency and details.

Compared to what? In this case, an external amp would be used with both speakers and headphones.

(Though it is possible to drive headphones directly from the 2Qute via the RCA outputs with adapters, but it wouldn't be the proper way.)

Just get Hugo 2, it can be used as a dac just like qute now because of the no battery usage after 24 hours feature and as an awesome bonus you get to take it on holidays and travels...

General consensus is that the 2Qute sounds better than the Hugo. It makes sense that the 2Qute successor could sound better than the Hugo 2 as well. (Especially if it ends up having even better tech than the Hugo 2. Ya never know!) The Hugo 2 does not have galvanic isolation like the 2Qute does. And there are probably other reasons that haven't been listed yet.

There are, of course, some benefits the Hugo 2 would retain regardless...such as driving headphones (and some sensitive passive speakers, with the right cables) directly from it for potentially higher transparency...the ability to use it as a digital preamp with speaker systems for the highest accuracy...portability...possibly some features, etc.

$1,000 USD difference

Since the 2Qute successor has not been released, we don't know what the price will be.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,349 of 1,746
Well as the one big reason why I wouldnt choose hugo2 is due to the lack of real RCA ports for amps, if it still has regular RCA out I would of have bought it. Already have very good RCA cables, and not using them is a waste, not to mention the price difference between hugo2 and next gen 2qute.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,350 of 1,746
Well as the one big reason why I wouldnt choose hugo2 is due to the lack of real RCA ports for amps, if it still has regular RCA out I would of have bought it. Already have very good RCA cables, and not using them is a waste, not to mention the price difference between hugo2 and next gen 2qute.

The RCA outputs of the Hugo 2 don't look very different to me than the ones on the 2Qute.

Have you read about people not being able to use certain RCA cables with the Hugo 2?

(I know this was an issue with older versions of the original Hugo, but I thought this was fixed for the most part.)

And again, we do not yet know what the 2Qute successor will cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back