Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #1,351 of 1,746
The RCA outputs of the Hugo 2 don't look very different to me than the ones on the 2Qute.

Have you read about people not being able to use certain RCA cables with the Hugo 2?

(I know this was an issue with older versions of the original Hugo, but I thought this was fixed for the most part.)

And again, we do not yet know what the 2Qute successor will cost.

Am I not seeing it or misinformed? Hugo2 doesnt have RCA ports though? RCA is the left and right channel cable in white and red.

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,352 of 1,746
Am I not seeing it or misinformed? Hugo2 doesnt have RCA ports though? RCA is the left and right channel cable in white and red.

29a0a958_L1000576.2.768.png

P.S. I'm actually watching Gintama!

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,354 of 1,746
OMG....first person encountered here to notice my name's meaning lol.

and secondly why do I have the interception that it comes with out 3.5 out....now that I see RCA I would definitely think about this! But still would wait after CES though.

ITU4x0D.gif

For future reference, you can go to the official page: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-2/

It has both 1/4" and 3.5 mm headphone outputs.

Hugo-2-Connectivity-900x675.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #1,355 of 1,746
Hugo 2 after 24 hours plugged in, the power ball changes to pink because Desktop Mode is activated and it uses power straight from the wall and the battery will never, ever be used so it won't shorten its lifespan. You can have Hugo 2 for 1 year straight and never use the battery inside it.
2Qute is meant to be used only as a DAC for a hi-fi system. If you later want to add an amp to drive headphones, you will lose some transparency and details.
Chord equipment is meant to be used as it is, they already cut lots of signal paths just to have the cleanest sound out of them.

I think you are misinformed. Even in desktop mode, the Hugo 2 does utilize power from the batteries, it's just that the battery charging recycling is not topped off but maintained at a lower fixed optimum charge (trickle). Otherwise if it was true that the Hugo 2 didn't utilize the batteries at all during desktop mode, why not just remove the batteries altogether? Which Rob Watts recommends not to do.
Also I find LIPO batteries to impart a sound characteristic that I find undesirable. The 2Qute solved that issue over the Hugo being powered by a quality linear power supply.

I will wait for the desktop version of Hugo 2. Meanwhile I find the 2Qute more than satisfactory in my systems synergy. I will never buy a LIPO powered audio component again.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,356 of 1,746
I think you are misinformed. Even in desktop mode, the Hugo 2 does utilize power from the batteries, it's just that the battery charging recycling is not topped off but maintained at a lower fixed optimum charge (trickle). Otherwise if it was true that the Hugo 2 didn't utilize the batteries at all during desktop mode, why not just remove the batteries altogether? Which Rob Watts recommends not to do.
Also I find LIPO batteries to impart a sound characteristic that I find undesirable. The 2Qute solved that issue over the Hugo being powered by a quality linear power supply.

I will wait for the desktop version of Hugo 2. Meanwhile I find the 2Qute more than satisfactory in my systems synergy. I will never buy a LIPO powered audio component again.

I agree with what you say about Hugo2 in Desktop mode.

Your experience is an interesting take on the sound due to the batteries. I thought the common take was that the batteries give a benefit to the sound. I was not aware that the linear power supply of the 2Qute was in answer to a perceived sound issue with the batteries, more that the batteries were not needed so easier to have the power supply direct off the mains.

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,357 of 1,746
What?! Where did you get this from? It uses the same DSD filter as DAVE.

Edit: see below...

...sorry left out a word, " all " I got a little click happy on super hi-rez...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,358 of 1,746
I wonder if the gap between Hugo2 and 2Qute2 will be closer this time. (Than Hugo and 2Qute was.) The Hugo 2 can now run straight from wall adapter, and I *think* it can run without batteries installed. It operates in desktop mode running from adapter power. (Apparently the Hugo 2 taps a bit of battery power to accompany power from adapter, for required bursts in sonic performance. I suppose a little in the way that the Hugo TT used super-caps.)

USB galvanic isolation can be achieved with adding galvanic isolator to the system. Or optical could be used to side-step no galvanic isolation.

Anyway, all stuff that I am thinking about, and not necessarily correct.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,359 of 1,746
I wonder if the gap between Hugo2 and 2Qute2 will be closer this time. (Than Hugo and 2Qute was.) The Hugo 2 can now run straight from wall adapter, and I *think* it can run without batteries installed. It operates in desktop mode running from adapter power. (Apparently the Hugo 2 taps a bit of battery power to accompany power from adapter, for required bursts in sonic performance. I suppose a little in the way that the Hugo TT used super-caps.)

USB galvanic isolation can be achieved with adding galvanic isolator to the system. Or optical could be used to side-step no galvanic isolation.

Anyway, all stuff that I am thinking about, and not necessarily correct.

See the posts above. Hugo 2 does NOT run straight from the wall adapter and does not run without the batteries installed (if it does at all it is not designed for this.)

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,360 of 1,746
...sorry left out a word, " all " I got a little click happy on super hi-rez...

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there higher DSD rates than DSD 512 (which the Hugo2 supports natively)? I’m just curious why you think otherwise.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,361 of 1,746
See the posts above. Hugo 2 does NOT run straight from the wall adapter and does not run without the batteries installed (if it does at all it is not designed for this.)

Actually, Rob Watts said that the Hugo 2 can run without the LIPO batteries, full suggested external power, in any mode, but he highly does not recommend doing so. Why or what it would suffer in SQ???? I've not seen anyone test this?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,362 of 1,746

Yes. I realise it can be irritating if someone writes something that was covered in posts above. However there were actually quite a few posts popped when I posted my last. I hit the 'post reply', and instantly there were quite a few new posts for me to read.

I wasn't actually stating that Hugo operates like that. It's just I was reading the Hugo 2 thread and either saw something like that written or asked. Plus it sort of would make sense, if the H2 could run without batteries, given it can run in wall powered mode. I actually need to understand a bit more about desktop mode, but whatever that's Hugo 2 thread. I was just speculating if the H2 would be closer to 2Qute2 this time. .............. Though, you know Rob, he'll pull something staggering out of the next gen 2Qute.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,363 of 1,746
Actually, Rob Watts said that the Hugo 2 can run without the LIPO batteries, full suggested external power, in any mode, but he highly does not recommend doing so. Why or what it would suffer in SQ???? I've not seen anyone test this?

I thought I saw something on it you know. (Same thing happened again. I was just typing that, and someone (you) replied before I could post.)

In the Mojo thread, Rob briefly explained that the battery in the Mojo offsets noise from charger. Explaining that running from battery or from power plugged in all the time, sounded no different.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,364 of 1,746

I remember that post. The over riding message was not to do it.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,365 of 1,746
I remember that post. The over riding message was not to do it.
Correct, but now we have folks coming on the 2Qute thread trying to use the argument of not needing a Lipo battery for the Hugo 2 to operate as an argument for not needing a new 3Qute desktop. NOT
I took Rob's word to heart and did not buy the Hugo 2 due to his warning of not using the Hugo 2 without the Lipo batteries installed. Thus I await for his new Hugo 2 desktop model, which I suspect will be sooner than some others have predicted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back