Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #346 of 1,746
Thanks for the reply Rob,

I'll do more test to see what's causing it.  It happened every time I boot up my computer the next day.  
So it is just like you said, resetting the computer/usb interface will solve the problem. 
Just a bit inconvenient to re-plug 2Qute's power cord everyday :frowning2:
I'll see how it behaves with a CDP source.

BTW, does 2Qute has sleep function? Like the QuteHD does?

Thanks
Matt

May 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #348 of 1,746
  Anyone here tried the ptone Audio REGEN device yet on the USB input of 2Qute?

Norman, it's Uptone Audio (likely a typo but if folks are interested it makes finding it more difficult).  There are so few 2Qute users here so far that finding one with a Regen is prolly too early anyway.  . 

May 13, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #350 of 1,746
  Anyone here tried the ptone Audio REGEN device yet on the USB input of 2Qute?

After discovering that different USB sources still sound different with the 2Qute, I ordered an Uptone Audio Regen. The Regen was developed with my source as one of its test cases, and is known to improve it.  However the Regen is now backordered and I have to wait four weeks before they ship.

May 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #351 of 1,746
You, I am sorry. I am suspicious of a lot of the posts here.

We have the engineer/Mr. Chord himself, aka Mr. Watts, who comes here and says, "we've made this brilliant product that doesn't need all sorts of fancy power conditioning, etc." And as soon as he says this, people show up out of the woodwork announcing that the product is sub-par as-is and only improves with this linear power supply, that USB conditioner, or a $200 USB cable, etc.

As far as I am concerned, I trust Mr. Watts and his expertise. As for several others here: I can't help my gut feeling that you are PAID to represent this linear PS firm or that USB conditioner company, USB cable manufacturer, etc.

/End Rant

May 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #352 of 1,746
Sorry, but anyone with a decent ear can hear the difference when a good little linear 12V ps is put on the QuteHD, for example.  I believe Rob intrinsically, so I doubt the Hynes will do the same for the 2Qute (now that they've learned even more)..it did less for the QuteEX...but still worthwhile.  And no, these are not commercially-induced comments schneller. 

May 14, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #354 of 1,746
  You, I am sorry. I am suspicious of a lot of the posts here.

We have the engineer/Mr. Chord himself, aka Mr. Watts, who comes here and says, "we've made this brilliant product that doesn't need all sorts of fancy power conditioning, etc." And as soon as he says this, people show up out of the woodwork announcing that the product is sub-par as-is and only improves with this linear power supply, that USB conditioner, or a $200 USB cable, etc.

As far as I am concerned, I trust Mr. Watts and his expertise. As for several others here: I can't help my gut feeling that you are PAID to represent this linear PS firm or that USB conditioner company, USB cable manufacturer, etc.

/End Rant

Remember that the 2Qute is a bottom-rung entry-level product from Chord.
Also remember that Chord know the importance of a good linear power supply and engineer this into their higher end products.
And what way to still sell some magic without the high bill-of-materials? - remove the power supply and shed more than half the cost.
And in terms of the Chord product range price points, the 2Qute still delivers outstanding quality for its price compared to other products in the Chord range - and the user can make it better by providing their own supply. Or buy the higher end products.

Maybe its better to be aware that companies position their products at different performance / price points, and that the cheaper products have definite handicaps.  And why be negative about the lower end products?, especially to the mass market who are reaching to get on the bottom rung of a companies product range? If the user likes it they can spend more and get even better.

The 2Qute isn't designed as the end-of-story, no-room-for-improvement product, even if you want it to be. In terms of the Chord products maybe the new Chord Dave (sort of replacing the QBD76) is the product you are wanting the 2Qute to be?
The understandably positive, glass-half-full comments from the designer are only the truth from the perspective of the compromised entry level product, and understand that much has been achieved in order to fit into the price point required by the marketing department.

May 16, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #357 of 1,746
  Sorry, but anyone with a decent ear can hear the difference when a good little linear 12V ps is put on the QuteHD, for example.  I believe Rob intrinsically, so I doubt the Hynes will do the same for the 2Qute (now that they've learned even more)..it did less for the QuteEX...but still worthwhile.  And no, these are not commercially-induced comments schneller. 

The proof of the pudding is a very careful AB listening test. And to evaluate 2 Qute I used a 12v Car battery against the modest PSU Chord supplies. Now a 300A car battery is the ultimate power supply - no RF noise, ultra low impedance, no audio noise - its going to be better than any linear mains driven PSU.

And I could not reliably hear a difference - sometimes I felt the wall wart was better, sometimes I felt the car battery better, sometimes no difference. When you get this in a listening test, you know you have hit the bottom of the well - there is no difference.

I then did the same on the Qute HD, and boy was it a big difference - much smoother, better focus and instrument separation - the kind of change that you do not need to do lots of AB tests as it was way too big to miss. This was a surprise, as Qute HD had sophisticated RF filtering and extra regulation - and I had thought in the past it was good enough - but 2 Qute has a lot more, and is now more than enough.

As to USB with the galvanic isolation - well jury is still out, but what I can say is that previously I had very big differences with PC's and lap tops and I don't get that now. I have got some USB cables to listen too, and will report back. I have had this test lined up for a couple of months but getting Dave finished for Munich has been a bit scary with lots of 3 AM starts!

Rob 

May 16, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #358 of 1,746
  The proof of the pudding is a very careful AB listening test. And to evaluate 2 Qute I used a 12v Car battery against the modest PSU Chord supplies. Now a 300A car battery is the ultimate power supply - no RF noise, ultra low impedance, no audio noise - its going to be better than any linear mains driven PSU.

And I could not reliably hear a difference - sometimes I felt the wall wart was better, sometimes I felt the car battery better, sometimes no difference. When you get this in a listening test, you know you have hit the bottom of the well - there is no difference.

I then did the same on the Qute HD, and boy was it a big difference - much smoother, better focus and instrument separation - the kind of change that you do not need to do lots of AB tests as it was way too big to miss. This was a surprise, as Qute HD had sophisticated RF filtering and extra regulation - and I had thought in the past it was good enough - but 2 Qute has a lot more, and is now more than enough.

As to USB with the galvanic isolation - well jury is still out, but what I can say is that previously I had very big differences with PC's and lap tops and I don't get that now. I have got some USB cables to listen too, and will report back. I have had this test lined up for a couple of months but getting Dave finished for Munich has been a bit scary with lots of 3 AM starts!

Rob 

Thanks so much for that reply, Rob.

Congrats on the DAVE launch!!! 

While I can't afford Dave, I will be buying a 2Qute in Black! And maybe a Chord USB cable. That's it! 

Edit: Someday you should visit Munich outside of a work context. I have plenty of fun tips!

May 17, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #359 of 1,746
Does anyone know when we would ever want to use the ground connection on the back of the 2Qute? What exactly would be connected, I am wondering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back