Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #376 of 1,746
http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/

May 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #378 of 1,746
OK I put all in perfect  Foobar2000 configuration to 2Q.now I am listen Serenade .. Eine Klein...(Mozart) is DSD  (by DoP) DT64/2190 kbps/2822400 Hz and the light  correponding to DSD sampler....but there are a creaking noise in all back the music.Its persistent ,the creaspy noisy  is only in DSD mode ,all others are perfect.the sound is beautiful,very clear and loud,the best.really....but that noise is there, important specially in the silence.Its no good for me...Despite of this , DSD sound is superb,amazing....but....My pc is laptop only with battery; 2Q ,HDVA 600 Sennheizer headphone amplifer are connected to Power Wedge 210p with Power Enhancer.Headphones Sennh HD 800 with XLR to amp.....Very best ,but ...bad.....What I do, Rob? 
confused_face.gif

May 20, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #379 of 1,746
  OK I put all in perfect  Foobar2000 configuration to 2Q.now I am listen Serenade .. Eine Klein...(Mozart) is DSD  (by DoP) DT64/2190 kbps/2822400 Hz and the light  correponding to DSD sampler....but there are a creaking noise in all back the music.Its persistent ,the creaspy noisy  is only in DSD mode ,all others are perfect.the sound is beautiful,very clear and loud,the best.really....but that noise is there, important specially in the silence.Its no good for me...Despite of this , DSD sound is superb,amazing....but....My pc is laptop only with battery; 2Q ,HDVA 600 Sennheizer headphone amplifer are connected to Power Wedge 210p with Power Enhancer.Headphones Sennh HD 800 with XLR to amp.....Very best ,but ...bad.....What I do, Rob? 
confused_face.gif

did you set the output as 32bit?
try to set it 24bit

May 20, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #380 of 1,746
confused_face.gif

did you set the output as 32bit?
try to set it 24bit

Thanks but Foobar say "output data format will be chosen automaticaly for the selected device" and device is ASIO foo dsd asio,it is the only  play DSD in headphone, no with ASIO Chotd Hugo 1.03.I think the ground can be a solution.

May 20, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #381 of 1,746
http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Evillamer, I stand corrected. Regen and Wyrd are in the same class.

There is a difference though and it was debated over at compAudiophile.
Here is one thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/schiit-wyrd-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-decrappifier-22085/index2.html

Exceprt here
Superdad
John Swenson and I have been working on a similar product (since before the Wyrd was announced)--with the same SMSC hub chip even. But we use much better regulators, a better clock, proper impedance matching with a 4-layer board--and especially key is that it is tiny enough to not need a USB cable on the output, it plugs into the DAC with just a male>male A>B adapter.

I still applaud them for bringing out the Wyrd. I can't put schiit in a box to sell for $99 and make any money. Those guys have my respect for all of what they do!

Oh, here is a pic of our little toy just to prove I'm not blowing smoke:
Attachment 15217

AND

Originally Posted by Jimmypowder
So what's the difference between the Regen and Schiit Decrapifier?

They are both reclockers , right ?

So how is this an innovative product?

Fill me in .
The Wyrd and the regen are conceptually similar from an upper level standpoint, they are very different in implementation and motivation for the development.

From reading what Schiit has posted it seems that their motivation was providing a clean power supply and secondly regenerating the data, whereas my motivation was providing the highest signal quality I could, and secondly providing very clean power.

Some of the differences are:
The regen has a much lower jitter clock feeding the hub chip, which will provide lower jitter on the data.

The regen uses a 4 layer board, primarily to allow a proper impedance match. With a standard thickness 2 layer board it is impossible to attain a proper impedance match to the hub chip. The pins on the chip are small and close together, this necessitates very thin board traces, with a two layer board the distance between ground plane and these traces (BTW this is called a differential micro-strip configuration) produce an impedance that is much greater than the spec. With a four layer board the ground plane can be much closer to the top layer which allows for appropriate impedance with the very narrow traces. The regen also uses SMD USB jacks which allow for appropriate trace width and spacing to continue the impedance matching through to the USB jacks. The result of this is that there will be very minimal reflections at the regen side. Even if the DAC does not have good impedance matching (which is pretty common) which WILL cause a reflection at the DAC end, it will be absorbed at the regen because of the proper impedance matching.

The regen has a frequncy optimized Power Delivery network (PDN), which turns out to make a very significant improvement in SQ. This is quite a technical subject, WAY beyond what I can post here, but here is the mile high summary:

In order to properly respond to the load variations of what the supply is powering, it needs to have a low impedance over a very broad range of frequencies. For digital audio this is from low Hz to hundreds of Mhz range. The entire supply flow from mains AC to board layout and capacitors on the board play a role in getting this right.

The regen is what got me focusing in on this. I was testing the first prototype and was seeing some noise on the supply right at the hub chip power pins that shouldn't be there. After a lot of detective work I traced it down to some frequency ranges of the PDN that were much higher impedance than they should be. I included a fix for this in the second version. With this I couldn't detect the noise any more, and it sounded much better, but Alex was still not super thrilled with the SQ. I then did a mathematical analysis of the PDN and found another frequency range that had a higher impedance than it should, made a fix for this, and sent the result to Alex, he was thrilled, this was much better than anything he had heard before.

This process of frequency optimizing the PDN is something that is done in expensive high speed network equipment, but is almost never done in consumer products, especially audio equipment. But the experience with the regen seems to point to this being quite important for digital audio. I have subsequently tried some of this on some DACs and seen marked improvement in SQ, so it looks like this might be a significant area to look into.

The whole reason I started thinking about a regen was the USB cable threads, after a lot of experimentation and thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that the signal integrity at the DAC was what was probably the difference between cables. Thus a device designed to regenerate the data signals. Because the whole purpose was to regenerate the signals that the cables were messing up, the regen device had to be right at the input to the DAC, thus it needed to be small and low weight.

One un-anticipated benefit to the frequency optimized PDN, is that the noise on the VBUS output is much less sensitive to load transients than other implementations. So if the DAC IS bus powered, that brings even more improvement.

Well there it is, the primary reasons the regen hasa better implementation than other devices.

John S.

May 20, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #382 of 1,746
Quite astonishing! The level of detail, the clarity of the midrange (particularly acoustic guitar), the tightness of the bass; all combine to create a fabulous sound with an incredible sense of rhythm that gets your foot tapping straight away and drags you away from whatever else you may be involved with to the music and nothing else.
My experience before this was with Meridian and Arcam DACs but this is in a completely different league.
The effect is most pronounced with CD level material, 24 bit improves variably at different sample rates with lower rates improved the most. Vinyl rips are probably the least transformed.
This will make you want to listen to all your music again.
The best piece of hifi equipment I have bought in 20 years. It's that good. " review by a verified 2Qute buyer on Audio T UKs website

May 20, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #383 of 1,746
Wisnon: please take your product to a different thread.

This is all about the 2Qute...and primarily how it, alone, without ANY other additional devices, is a fabulous DAC. 

Thanks.

Edit: I looked at the entire ComputerAudiophile thread and those that bought the Regen couldn't really tell if/what was being improved in SQ. Or the improvement was so slight that it could have been the Regen or simple "mental suggestion" to justify the purchase. That was my take at least.

May 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #384 of 1,746
The question was simple. Did any 2Qute owners try the Regen yet and what was the feedback?

No need to get your knickers in a bunch. There is no law that says the thread is ONLY about how the 2Qute sounds with nothing else (as if cables, amps, speakers and headphones aren't mandatory). Whether its iUSB, Wyrd, Regen or Aubisque, the cost is very small compared to the price of the 2Qute itself and so many will be interested either to try or hear feedback telling if this is interesting to pursue or not. Nature of the hobby.

As to you implication that it's mental suggestions, every production lot has been sold out in days (in advance) and even the $45 upgrade to the Regen Amber will have a mad scramble, as only a limited amount of boards will be available and there is a huge countdown to June 10 for that. In any case, the overwhelming reponse has been very positive, so I dont know how you managed to find the needle in the haystack. LoL

I guess I will just wait for Ted's review as he will have both devices by then...

May 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #385 of 1,746
  Wisnon: please take your product to a different thread.

This is all about the 2Qute...and primarily how it, alone, without ANY other additional devices, is a fabulous DAC. 

The 2Qute ALONE WITHOUT ANY other devices, is a very poor DAC.  It has no power, no sound, and no music.  It needs associated equipment.  And as the Hugo or any other thread here or anywhere attests, the real benefit of user feedback is how the device interacts with those products and services around it.  Does it improve with better linear ps, or is Rob right that they got it nailed this time?  Does it like an Audiophileo or other SPDIF converter (hundreds of posts about that over on Hugo thread).  Does it like a Regen!!?   Does it need adapters or will all steroid-based cable barrels fit?  How immune is it to USB cable changes?

My review will attempt, like my others, to show the 2Qute in real world setups.  Please don't comment on CA that I didn't review it without ANY devices.  Thanks.

May 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #386 of 1,746

The 2Qute ALONE WITHOUT ANY other devices, is a very poor DAC.  It has no power, no sound, and no music.  It needs associated equipment.  And as the Hugo or any other thread here or anywhere attests, the real benefit of user feedback is how the device interacts with those products and services around it.  Does it improve with better linear ps, or is Rob right that they got it nailed this time?  Does it like an Audiophileo or other SPDIF converter (hundreds of posts about that over on Hugo thread).  Does it like a Regen!!?   Does it need adapters or will all steroid-based cable barrels fit?  How immune is it to USB cable changes?

My review will attempt, like my others, to show the 2Qute in real world setups.  Please don't comment on CA that I didn't review it without ANY devices.  Thanks.

Oh come you know what I mean. Yes, a review of the 2Qute without ANYTHING AT ALL attached. Yes, totally logical.

No, I look forward to objective, unbiased, uncolored reviews of the 2Qute straight-out-box, using included power and USB cables, given ample break-in and then compared using "additives" like power line conditioning, USB line conditioning, better USB cables, etc. 

May 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #387 of 1,746
  The question was simple. Did any 2Qute owners try the Regen yet and what was the feedback?

No need to get your knickers in a bunch. There is no law that says the thread is ONLY about how the 2Qute sounds with nothing else (as if cables, amps, speakers and headphones aren't mandatory). Whether its iUSB, Wyrd, Regen or Aubisque, the cost is very small compared to the price of the 2Qute itself and so many will be interested either to try or hear feedback telling if this is interesting to pursue or not. Nature of the hobby.

As to you implication that it's mental suggestions, every production lot has been sold out in days (in advance) and even the $45 upgrade to the Regen Amber will have a mad scramble, as only a limited amount of boards will be available and there is a huge countdown to June 10 for that. In any case, the overwhelming reponse has been very positive, so I dont know how you managed to find the needle in the haystack. LoL

I guess I will just wait for Ted's review as he will have both devices by then...

With all of your talk of prices, upgrade prices and sell-out "threats" you truly talk like a good salesman. Threatening "scarcity" is rule #1 in regards to high pressure sales tactics. Give it a rest. Talk about the 2Qute or start a different thread. How many Regens were made in the first batch? 10 or 10,000?

May 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #388 of 1,746
  Oh come you know what I mean. Yes, a review of the 2Qute without ANYTHING AT ALL attached. Yes, totally logical.

No, I look forward to objective, unbiased, uncolored reviews of the 2Qute straight-out-box, using included power and USB cables, given ample break-in and then compared using "additives" like power line conditioning, USB line conditioning, better USB cables, etc.

Why limit yourself? I want to hear impression stock and with real world additions! This thread IS on page 26 after all! The basics have been fleshed out somewhat and it is past time for people to start playing around with elements in the hopes of maxxing out performance.

Frankly, I have no financial interest in Uptone (California micro company).  I live in Switzerland and work in Pharma. Indeed, if there is a "threat" it would be to me. I would have to wait longer if even MORE people start to order, in case I want to get a 2nd unit. And its no threat, its REALITY. The prod runs keep selling out fast and you can see as it is PUBLICLY documented. I think more orders is more a curse than a blessing at this point, as the Mom& Pop operation is straining under the weight. LoL

Just read the tech blurb I posted and you will see why this thing has commanded such interest. USB has been a sore point to many and Schiit nd Uptone are commendably trying to address this.

Now again, it will be interesting to see how it works on the 2Qute. I will try it on a QuteEX soon, but as they have very different implementations,its not transferable.

May 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #389 of 1,746

Seriously, dude?  You use the included rca cables that come with your BluRay player?  Sorry, my review will use my cables,and I will specify what they are (the same ones for all my reviews, which sets the comparisons more fairly anyway).  I will also mix and match so folks understand how a DAC like the 2Qute sounds in different system combinations.  I have zero interest in using the $2 cables that come in the box.  You are being quite unreasonable while trying to make a point.

May 20, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #390 of 1,746
I see I know very little about grounding. Today I went to the hardware store and bought a 6 foot grounding rod, the clamp and some small solid copper wire. I did the work and attached the wire to 2Qute. I turned on some music and put my headphones on and heard what sounds like a ground loop. A steady hum? Obviously it didn't work so why not? I'm not a knowledgeable person about these kinds of things so go ahead and laugh if you want. But tell me what's the scoop on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back