Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #18,692 of 18,776
+ with only USB-C ports!
+ One (1) SE out and one (1) BAL out

(the 2 SE outputs was a dumb idea and surprised it carried from OG Mojo to Mojo 2.)

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #18,693 of 18,776
+ with only USB-C ports!

And no white noise that will blast my ears. Sticking with my Mojo 1 for that reason as it has never done such a thing.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #18,694 of 18,776
+ One (1) SE out and one (1) BAL out

(the 2 SE outputs was a dumb idea and surprised it carried from OG Mojo to Mojo 2.)
Aww Mojo with a balanced out - I could get with that!! I'm using it as a source on a massive active Genelec system, in a vehicle so going balanced all the way would make perfect sense.

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #18,695 of 18,776
Mojo won't have a balanced output unless sales suffer, which can't be happening or else Mojo 2 would have a balanced output. I'm sure Chord had discussions around adding a SE 4.4mm socket on Mojo 2 for compatibility but they are quite a bit bigger so perhaps they couldn't make it fit.

In the meantime I have an adaptor, I only use it when really necessary though because adding plugs and sockets in the chain isn't good.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #18,697 of 18,776
Anyone else having no luck updating to 3.2.4. I have tried every day for the last bit and it bombs out every time. Any ideas?
I'm losing track of the versions, when did that one come out?

Chord, how about updating the update method. A bootloader capable of reading a hex file off the SD card. If you need any help I've done a couple of bootloader projects, albeit on PIC32 microcontrollers.

Don't worry about anyone stealing your code Chord, I doubt anyone would want to rip-off or copy the Poly and use your software on it. :wink:

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #18,698 of 18,776

Chord, how about updating the update method. A bootloader capable of reading a hex file off the SD card. If you need any help I've done a couple of bootloader projects, albeit on PIC32 microcontrollers.

Don't worry about anyone stealing your code Chord, I doubt anyone would want to rip-off or copy the Poly and use your software on it. :wink:

Lol, people on Alibaba or Temu wouldn’t dare using Chord their spaghetti code. The cloned version for $5 from China would actually perform better most likely.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #18,699 of 18,776

Even better, make the firmware open source….

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #18,701 of 18,776
Please Chord, this is the answer, just imagine how awesome Poly would be in 1-2 months if the F/W went open source. :thumbsup:
If we rewind to 2018, this thread contained several Chord enthusiasts who were also software developers (I think most/all? of the posters have not posted in this thread for several years).
I was asked 'off the record' (note not by Chord) to discover if these enthusiasts were interested in Chord forking the Poly firmware development, to include an open-source fork.

There were several consistent themes in the developers responses:
  • An open-source fork would be interesting
  • They would need to learn new programming languages/tools to code the firmware to a professional level
  • This learning and then coding would take months of their spare time, which they did not have
  • The Poly firmware was already based on open-source or GPL software (Linux, MPD, etc), which enthusiasts could modify separately if they wanted
  • They thought that Chord was extremely unlikely to ever allow its proprietary software to become open-source
None of the developers felt able to commit to involvement in such a project.
The concept of an open-source fork was clearly dead in the water.

Today after several years of proprietary software development by Chord, plus the inclusion of 2Go as well in the Poly platform, I think it would be even more difficult to integrate software developed within an open-source fork, with the core Chord firmware.
Just my opinion, but I think an open-source fork is now even more dead in the water.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #18,702 of 18,776
If I were Chord circa 2016 with the Poly, I would've focused on making it a streamer only. Airplay, DLNA, Roon, Chromcast, and UPnP. I would've ditched the MPD/server business and made the microSD for FW only.

What they ended up doing is making a half baked add on that works well in ideal situations but generally fails to deliver even basic DAP functionality. The GoFigure software is remedial at best.

All that said, i truly enjoy the Poly as a Roon endpoint and wouid desire for nothing else to pair with Mojo2.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #18,703 of 18,776
If I were Chord circa 2016 with the Poly, I would've focused on making it a streamer only. Airplay, DLNA, Roon, Chromcast, and UPnP. I would've ditched the MPD/server business and made the microSD for FW only.

What they ended up doing is making a half baked add on that works well in ideal situations but generally fails to deliver even basic DAP functionality. The GoFigure software is remedial at best.

All that said, i truly enjoy the Poly as a Roon endpoint and wouid desire for nothing else to pair with Mojo2.
for me the MPD function is irreplaceable and works perfectly, they can remove everything but they don't touch the mSD and the MPD function

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #18,704 of 18,776
I would be the opposite of you here.
I do not stream, but do play albums off the SD card.
If the MPD/Server was removed, and the SD slot repurposed, I would have no use case for Poly.

When Chord included streaming and MPD/server in the original Poly concept, they ensured that they could interest customers with two very different needs.

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #18,705 of 18,776
I would be the opposite of you here.
I do not stream, but do play albums off the SD card.
If the MPD/Server was removed, and the SD slot repurposed, I would have no use case for Poly.

When Chord included streaming and MPD/server in the original Poly concept, they ensured that they could interest customers with two very different needs.

True. But even the cheapest DAP has a better UI than GoFigure. I haven't found a third party app that uses mpd that is equivalent to the Sony Walkman app or Hiby music (for example).

All iPhones have Airplay. Android phones have Chromecast. DLNA and UPnP are ubiquitous. All are industry standards that software developers can use to interface with streamers.

The HiFi world today is about streaming. Stalwort companies like Classe are putting streaming capabilities into their preamps now. Downloaded albums and curated offline libraries are losing to Apple Music, Spotify, and Amazon Music.

Chord relies on a retail store model. A flawless streaming module in 2024 would be a lot easier to sell than an enthusiast device that sorta does everything but nothing spectacularly well.

This is just my thoughts. If you use MPD, cool. As much as I want to love mpd and the microSD card, I don't. I own the Poly and 2go. I highly doubt my thoghts will threaten the survival of mpd. 😏

YMMV. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back