Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #18,661 of 18,757
Just had the batteries swapped on my Hugo2. $250 (including 2 way shipping) is very reasonable (10% of MSRP)

As for Poly at $160 (25% of MSRP) that is a tougher call although given the pitfalls involved it may be the best option for you

Changing the batteries of my $1600 iPhone 15 Pro Max would cost me only $99. And Apple is a company that is known to charge very high prices.

So all these prices for a new battery is simply crazy.

In the end, I replaced the battery of the Chord Mojo 1 myself. I believe it took me only 5 minutes or something while I had to pay a crazy amounts of money if I let them do it. I will probably do the same thing with the Chord Hugo 2 if i needs a battery replacement.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #18,663 of 18,757
Changing the batteries of my $1600 iPhone 15 Pro Max would cost me only $99. And Apple is a company that is known to charge very high prices.

In the end, I replaced the battery of the Chord Mojo 1 myself. I believe it took me only 5 minutes or something while I had to pay a crazy amounts of money if I let them do it. I will probably do the same thing with the Chord Hugo 2 if i needs a battery replacement
I replaced the battery in mojo back when you could source an OEM replacement. I can’t do the same with Hugo 2 and don’t want to chance a failure with a substitute.
So $36 bucks at Amazon and you’re good to go?
I’m not willing to take that risk

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #18,664 of 18,757
My opinion all all this battery replacement malarkey. Its something I do all the time, worst case was a one month old iFi Gryphon, the battery and charging were very poorly thought out on that product, it was the last iFi product I'll ever buy.

I did replace the batteries in my Hugo 2 for the OEM batteries when they were still available, I also DIY'd a set of batteries that work perfectly.

Its very difficult to break things swapping a battery as long as you know one end of a screwdriver from the other and the savings are worth it, especially at the prices Chord want for battery swaps.

Thank you @robloglisci for posting an excellent guide for those that feel confident to give it a go themselves. :thumbsup:

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #18,665 of 18,757
My opinion all all this battery replacement malarkey. Its something I do all the time, worst case was a one month old iFi Gryphon, the battery and charging were very poorly thought out on that product, it was the last iFi product I'll ever buy.

I did replace the batteries in my Hugo 2 for the OEM batteries when they were still available, I also DIY'd a set of batteries that work perfectly.

Its very difficult to break things swapping a battery as long as you know one end of a screwdriver from the other and the savings are worth it, especially at the prices Chord want for battery swaps.

Thank you @robloglisci for posting an excellent guide for those that feel confident to give it a go themselves. :thumbsup:
I have no problem physically swapping batteries. Sourcing an OEM replacement is my issue. I’m not willing to chance a 3rd party battery in a device I don’t want to have to repurchase if the battery has a failure.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #18,666 of 18,757
I have no problem physically swapping batteries. Sourcing an OEM replacement is my issue. I’m not willing to chance a 3rd party battery in a device I don’t want to have to repurchase if the battery has a failure.
Chord don't buy a special kind of Lipo battery, they just buy in bulk from a reseller in China that has the battery they want at the price they want to pay. If a 3rd party battery has has the right voltage, capacity and fits then it will be fine, it may not last as long as the original, buy two or three.

Perhaps some of the confusion comes from earlier posts where Chord said they are using a special high-temp LiPo battery, this doesn't exist, its just marketing and a way for Chord to sell battery replacement, they are making a profit on these replacements BTW.

As I said I've done many of these swaps with no issues whatsoever, anyone is free to do what they want with there stuff, but the moment I read that people can hear a difference between one Lipo Battery and another, that will make my week. :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #18,668 of 18,757

In the end, I replaced the battery of the Chord Mojo 1 myself. I believe it took me only 5 minutes or something while I had to pay a crazy amounts of money if I let them do it. I will probably do the same thing with the Chord Hugo 2 if i needs a battery replacement.

Economy of scale. More iPhones exist than many multiples of all Chord battery powered products combined. Considering there is only one service center for Chord in the US and one or more repair shops that can repair iPhone batteries per city, Chord repair costs will be higher. Boutique audio is not cheap.

I've replaced the batteries in my iPods and other DAPs. Even though they were "the same" battery, they weren't. The replacement never worked as well as the original. And I had to buy more than one variant given the minor differences in physical battery size between manufacturers. These were as close to Plug n Play as you get unlike the Poly.

I'll gladly send the poly or mojo when the time comes to a shop with good customer service and turn around time.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #18,669 of 18,757
I’m commuting into NYC today and my Poly is working great with the third-party 103450.
Went from 85 % to 73 % after 80 minutes, which is expected.

I have four additional batteries coming in from Amazon today - I’ll test each one and post some additional information tonight.

Given the choice again, I would have opted for the service from the US authorized Chord vendor - The Sound Organization.

I will likely send my Poly to soundorg.com if they will accept it minus the battery.

When my Poly first started experiencing issues in 2020, the firmware was much older (Version 2.x) and there wasn’t any method to replace the battery other then sending back to Great Britain (Audio46 in Manhattan quoted 6 weeks and over $200).

I used my device 3 hours per day on my commute - 5 days per week from 2017-2020. The batteries both failed about the same time, which was OK with me due to the use.

IMG_8301.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #18,670 of 18,757
Hi,

I have a bit of problem, my poly cant update from 3.20 to latest. Charged, pluged, no sd, uodate starts and after few millimetres the update bar proceeds, it disconects.

Also strage is that, poly is connected to wifi, but when i open gofigure, i see only bluetooth connection, and not wifi (even though its connected).

Would be thankful for ideas

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #18,671 of 18,757
Hi,

I have a bit of problem, my poly cant update from 3.20 to latest. Charged, pluged, no sd, uodate starts and after few millimetres the update bar proceeds, it disconects.

Also strage is that, poly is connected to wifi, but when i open gofigure, i see only bluetooth connection, and not wifi (even though its connected).

Would be thankful for ideas

I have the same issue on both the Chord 2Go and Poly.

For me, the update progress all the way to the end, but when it finishes the update, it still shows the old firmware version.

I am done trying and waiting for the next firmware instead because Chord really broke something here.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #18,673 of 18,757
Hi,
I‘m having trouble browsing albums in DSD on Poly‘s mSD card. I know this has been discussed in depth here, still I seem to get something wrong.

I keep albums in PCM and DSD in separate folders on the card. Usually I use mconnect or 8Player on iOS, but learned here I‘d have to use an mpd-capable client-app instead as Poly‘s DLNA-server doesn‘t support DSD.

I tried Glider, but only the albums in PCM show up.

Could it be that all files (both DSD and PCM) have to be in a single folder?

Thanks for any hint,
Tom

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #18,675 of 18,757
Hi,
I‘m having trouble browsing albums in DSD on Poly‘s mSD card. I know this has been discussed in depth here, still I seem to get something wrong.

I keep albums in PCM and DSD in separate folders on the card. Usually I use mconnect or 8Player on iOS, but learned here I‘d have to use an mpd-capable client-app instead as Poly‘s DLNA-server doesn‘t support DSD.

I tried Glider, but only the albums in PCM show up.

Could it be that all files (both DSD and PCM) have to be in a single folder?

Thanks for any hint,
Tom
You can play dsd files with mconnect using the folder view.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.png
    IMG_0987.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back