Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #18,241 of 18,774
Whenever I add new files to the SD card I wait until the Poly has finished indexing and then refresh the database in Rigelian. That works fine for me.

I do have a little Poly niggle, though, and wondered if others had this problem.
99% of the time I use Poly at home or at a work desk so it's connected to wi-fi or hotspot and all is fine playing from the SD card. But recently I had a couple of hours plane trip to Norway on a flight that had no wi-fi. I thought that I'd at least be able to connect to the playlists on the card in GoFigure using bluetooth even in airplane mode but then I realised the Poly was indexing the card even though nothing new had be added. This, of course, doesn't let you access the playlists until the indexing is finished and for a 60% full 1Gb card that can be quite a while.
So, is Poly indexing every time I turn it on a Poly problem or maybe some glitch on the SD card that is triggering the scan?

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #18,243 of 18,774
Out of interest, why do you think MPD is so much better than UPnP?
I've used BubbleUPnP happily for ages but always open to improving things.
I've just installed MALP and at first glance I don't see what extra benefit it provides over Bubble - what am I missing?
With bubleUPnP, the playlist is stored on the phone.
With MALP, the playlist is stored on the SD card. So the playlist is usable with GoFigure too.
MALP is usable with the hotspot of your the smartphone. Bubble needs WIFI.
But Bubble is very good with Qobuz.
With Bubble, you can use the FFmpeg decoder to convert the FLAC to Wav.
So the activity of the processor in Poly reduced and USB signal will be with minus noise.

For me with MALP, if you use wav files, the quality is better. Very audible
The usb input goes near the quality of optical.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #18,244 of 18,774
I've just installed MALP and at first glance I don't see what extra benefit it provides over Bubble - what am I missing?
1. with Bubble UPnP it is not possible to view the music inside the mSD (at least I have never succeeded) but only transmit the music from the device to the Poly.

2. with Bubble UPnP it is not possible to use the smartphone's Wifi connection, but you need a home Wifi connection, while with MPD you can leave the house and use your smartphone as a hotspot.

3. when browsing music, changing tracks, fast forward or backward, MPD is more immediate and without interruption between tracks and it is also possible to take advantage of crossfading (MAFA)

M.A.L.P. is free and not the best interface, I highly recommend using paid MAFA - MPD Client but definitely better, as in addition to a pleasant graphical interface, it has the automatic IP recognition function, so no manual setting is necessary

I do have a little Poly niggle, though, and wondered if others had this problem.
99% of the time I use Poly at home or at a work desk so it's connected to wi-fi or hotspot and all is fine playing from the SD card. But recently I had a couple of hours plane trip to Norway on a flight that had no wi-fi. I thought that I'd at least be able to connect to the playlists on the card in GoFigure using bluetooth even in airplane mode but then I realised the Poly was indexing the card even though nothing new had be added. This, of course, doesn't let you access the playlists until the indexing is finished and for a 60% full 1Gb card that can be quite a while.
So, is Poly indexing every time I turn it on a Poly problem or maybe some glitch on the SD card that is triggering the scan?
it's probably a problem with the mSD, with mine it only requires one scan which it will repeat only after adding more music.

Tip: every time you add or remove files from the mSD, delete the 3 files inside the mSD (art-cache-a.tar.gz, dlna-sdfree.dat and mpd.db) so that when the mSD is inserted, Poly completely rebuilds the database.

As for your plane trip, with MPD you can use your smartphone's Wifi connection without necessarily having an active data connection, or set the Poly to Hotspot mode and connect your smartphone to it. that way you don't need GoFigure for your music.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #18,245 of 18,774
With bubleUPnP, the playlist is stored on the phone.
With MALP, the playlist is stored on the SD card. So the playlist is usable with GoFigure too.
MALP is usable with the hotspot of your the smartphone. Bubble needs WIFI.
But Bubble is very good with Qobuz.
With Bubble, you can use the FFmpeg decoder to convert the FLAC to Wav.
So the activity of the processor in Poly reduced and USB signal will be with minus noise.

For me with MALP, if you use wav files, the quality is better. Very audible
The usb input goes near the quality of optical.
Ah OK, thanks.
Well, anything that takes me towards using GoFigure more, is definitely a negative in my world.
But, storing the playlist on the SD card is a definite plus - nice to be able to wander off with the phone without the music stopping.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #18,246 of 18,774
The answer from me is very simple. It is because UPnP does not work with my SD card+android+Poly configuration.
The MPD is the only working way for me to use the SD card.
The MALP may look simple to you, but it just works as what I need, I really just need to play SD card music.
Rediculously, the UPnP was working for me at the beginning, but that Poly is dead in two weeks. Then my new and replacement Poly never work with UPnP+SD configuration.

Nov 7, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #18,247 of 18,774
I'm very happy with my Mojo2, and I've been thinking about buying a Poly. Mostly for the using a micro-SD card, but streaming Tidal, Apple Music or Quobuz does appeal to me.

I live in an Apple device world. M1 MacMini, iPhone 13 Pro Max, and M1 iPad Pro 12.9". Is using the Mojo2 with the Poly with my Apple gear going to be difficult? The many reports of issues with the Poly kind of puts me off a little about making a purchase.

Finally, on Apple Devices can I download from them to a micro-SD. Probably would use the MacMini for that.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #18,248 of 18,774
it's probably a problem with the mSD, with mine it only requires one scan which it will repeat only after adding more music.

Tip: every time you add or remove files from the mSD, delete the 3 files inside the mSD (art-cache-a.tar.gz, dlna-sdfree.dat and mpd.db) so that when the mSD is inserted, Poly completely rebuilds the database.
Thanks for the tip. In the end I reformatted the card, put everything back onto it and that seems to have solved the constant rescanning. I'll make a point of forcing a full rebuild each time, though. Cheers.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #18,249 of 18,774
2. with Bubble UPnP it is not possible to use the smartphone's Wifi connection, but you need a home Wifi connection, while with MPD you can leave the house and use your smartphone as a hotspot.
I used the phone hotspot and Bubble (streaming from Qobuz) all the time when I was on Android, worked great. I've swapped to iOS for now and the same thing works there too.

I actually don't have any other Wi-Fi access point in my Poly as I more or less exclusively us it away from any networks other than the phone hotspot.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #18,250 of 18,774
I used the phone hotspot and Bubble (streaming from Qobuz) all the time when I was on Android, worked great. I've swapped to iOS for now and the same thing works there too.

I actually don't have any other Wi-Fi access point in my Poly as I more or less exclusively us it away from any networks other than the phone hotspot.
With advances in wifi network protocols, even cheap access points/routers introducing network isolation modes via VLANs I think that Poly becomes quickly obsolete unless being used in scenario similar to @User9876 . Please take into account that while I think Poly is poor product as a streamer it is not 100% fault of the product that under more and more condition it is not working. The problem is however that Poly never worked like it should from day one of its release and it drains batteries even when not in use.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #18,251 of 18,774
With advances in wifi network protocols, even cheap access points/routers introducing network isolation modes via VLANs I think that Poly becomes quickly obsolete unless being used in scenario similar to @User9876 . Please take into account that while I think Poly is poor product as a streamer it is not 100% fault of the product that under more and more condition it is not working. The problem is however that Poly never worked like it should from day one of its release and it drains batteries even when not in use.
I treat mine exactly like I did my Fiio BTR5 except its lossless and Hi-Res and not Bluetooth.

Grab the Poly/Mojo 2, switch it on and shove it in a pocket and go.

I'm just lucky I suppose, for a lot of users its nowhere near that seamless, which is a shame, the Poly F/W has never been 100% fixed and never will be.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #18,252 of 18,774
Tried few apps. For me number #1 is Rigelian!
Using premium version on iOS & macOS

The current downside is that covers need to be in separate file. Rigelian have option to pull those covers from online. But if you want truly offline experience use Picard to re-save your files with cover in the same folder.

On the move I just share hotspot to Poly from iPhone and Rigelian work well in that setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 16.48.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 16.48.28.png
    402 KB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #18,253 of 18,774
Thanks for the tip. In the end I reformatted the card, put everything back onto it and that seems to have solved the constant rescanning. I'll make a point of forcing a full rebuild each time, though. Cheers.
I'm happy you solved it

I don't know how you managed it, every time I tried it never worked, but no problem with MPD

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #18,254 of 18,774
RIGELIAN advertises its capabilities with poly, furthermore its capabilities with qobuz, but only for openhome devices. So RIGELIAN with qobuz streaming on poly would not work. Am I right?
Qobuz is only shown in the navigation tree after pressing "edit" BTW. Forgot to say, I am aware of that poly is far from being "open".
Could anyone please prove me wrong?
Edit: I bought the premium version of RIGELIAN, but it does not let me put in my qobuz credentials anywhere.
Edit2: I RTFM of Rigelian too, to the best of my knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back