Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Sep 7, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #18,137 of 18,828
Already in the box going back. Sound quality over the straight LS50w was maybe a touch more "high end".
The LS50W is an highly regarded integrated streaming speaker system that costs £2,500. Adding an £350 DAC is very unlikely to sound better… and given the streaming capabilities of the KEF system it would be interesting to know why you felt adding a Poly would help.

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #18,138 of 18,828
Hi all, I am looking seriously at grabbing a Poly to mate with my Mojo 2. Primary use would be at home (via WiFi) to stream Qobuz and then hopefully on my work's WiFi network to do the same. Obviously, it depends on how my employer structured their network, but I can tell you after entering the user and password info, there is a screen to accept terms where I have to click "Accept". Will that present an issue for the Poly?

If so, it appears I can have my iPhone start a hotspot and connect to the Poly, but then have my iPhone still use my work WiFi to "pull" the music from Qoboz and also for other app usage - do I have that correct? Many thanks in advance.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #18,139 of 18,828
Hi all, I am looking seriously at grabbing a Poly to mate with my Mojo 2. Primary use would be at home (via WiFi) to stream Qobuz and then hopefully on my work's WiFi network to do the same. Obviously, it depends on how my employer structured their network, but I can tell you after entering the user and password info, there is a screen to accept terms where I have to click "Accept". Will that present an issue for the Poly?

If so, it appears I can have my iPhone start a hotspot and connect to the Poly, but then have my iPhone still use my work WiFi to "pull" the music from Qoboz and also for other app usage - do I have that correct? Many thanks in advance.
I've never tried my office WiFi with Poly, Poly is tricky to get it working on my own hardware, office WiFi security etc etc wasn't something I wanted to deal with.

I use an iPhone SE, a 4G to WiFi USB dongle, mconnect and the Speedify.

The 4G WiFi dongle doesn't even need a Sim card in it to "kick-start" the connection but it makes life easier, once I have it streaming from Qobuz the dongle can be unplugged and it keeps streaming.

Complicated, probably, but it works for me.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #18,140 of 18,828

That's what I do with my android phone and mconnect and it works perfectly.

As you're using iPhone, Poly does support Airplay which would be a good back up option.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #18,141 of 18,828
Thank you for the reply. So, just to make sure I'm on the right page - when using the Poly like this (connected to my iPhone hotspot), the iPhone can still be connected to a WiFi network for internet/app usage?

That's what I do with my android phone and mconnect and it works perfectly.

As you're using iPhone, Poly does support Airplay which would be a good back up option.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #18,142 of 18,828
Thank you. Yes, I have read through here and see that folks have had enough difficulty on their home networks, so I can imagine the added nuance to a work network.

Good note on the WiFi dongle, too.

I've never tried my office WiFi with Poly, Poly is tricky to get it working on my own hardware, office WiFi security etc etc wasn't something I wanted to deal with.

The 4G WiFi dongle doesn't even need a Sim card in it to "kick-start" the connection but it makes life easier, once I have it streaming from Qobuz the dongle can be unplugged and it keeps streaming.

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #18,143 of 18,828

Good idea! Any link for the wifi dongle?

Sep 9, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #18,144 of 18,828
Thank you for the reply. So, just to make sure I'm on the right page - when using the Poly like this (connected to my iPhone hotspot), the iPhone can still be connected to a WiFi network for internet/app usage?
Connected to your iPhone hotspot you can use your phone’s internet, yes.

It should be possible to connect the Poly to your company’s network too. I do this where I work, no problem. But if there is a problem, there are many other ways to connect.

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #18,149 of 18,828
Your company IT infrastructure has no way of telling that your Poly has not been hacked, and could try and upload malware/ransomware into the IT system.
At my company all non-company equipment is blocked from connecting to the network.
That would be impossible in my workplace. It’s a university.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back