Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #17,971 of 19,049
I think it is time for me to gave up on Poly. While it looked like v3 firmware finally made it to deliver what has been promised I have two critical issues:

1. I'm traveling and I can not make my mobile nor my laptop to detect Poly, everything works and Poly connected to network correctly. It is not the network configuration nor router/ap fault since sometime poly can be detected but it is completely random.
2. When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly :frowning2:

Anyone had similar issues and can provide some help please?
1. Yes it’s frustrating isn’t it but great when it does work.

2. I don’t do DSD but IMO you’d be better with a wired connection for this application and something like UAPP. I do regularly play 192khz stuff off the memory card though with zero issues using an MPD app on my phone.

I agree if you are not happy with how it “works’ you are better off getting rid of it, life is just too short.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #17,972 of 19,049
1. what is your laptop or mobile?
2. I have never tried DSD, is it off internal SD or via Wifi? With Mojo white noise is usually due to a faulty cable, and means that somehow the rate of data chocks the "pipe". DSD256 might be a lot to push, but I could try and see, I think I have a few DSD files.
@bikutoru there is no cable connection when using poly, only poly, mojo2 or both could be faulty but not the non-existent cable :wink:

I fail to see what type of laptop or mobile has to do with poly issues in my scenario since no operating system drivers are of concern here. The issue is reproducible using poly sd card. Haven't tried other poly modes of operations.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #17,973 of 19,049
1. Yes it’s frustrating isn’t it but great when it does work.

2. I don’t do DSD but IMO you’d be better with a wired connection for this application and something like UAPP. I do regularly play 192khz stuff off the memory card though with zero issues using an MPD app on my phone.

I agree if you are not happy with how it “works’ you are better off getting rid of it, life is just too short.
@MarkParity indeed. Can't tell you how good poly is considering that I spent most of the time debugging why it fails. UAPP is great and works flawlessly from my experience indeed however I don't need poly since I can just connect to my mobile using OTG cable. My initial idea has been to remove cables from the mobile setup and control Mojo 2 via bluetooth/wireless.

Fortunately I've got my ifi Signature with me as a backup together with Xduoo transport. This also works flawlessly but still requires a cable.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #17,974 of 19,049
When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly
That's usually a DoP hiccup. I used to occasionally experience that when using the TT and TT2 in my main system. It's just one of those things that Chord DACs can be susceptible to as Rob insists on using a USB interface that doesn't support native DSD. [DoP is actually sort of a hack that encodes DSD as 176.4 PCM. The DAC is not supposed to play it as 176.4 PCM but sometimes it can get confused when switching sample rates. I believe the white noise occurs when momentarily trying to play it as PCM.]

All of my favorite DSD recordings have been upscaled using PGGB so they are all now in PCM format and sounding better than ever. As a result, I also avoid that hiccup problem when playing them with Poly/Mojo.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #17,975 of 19,049
I think it is time for me to gave up on Poly. While it looked like v3 firmware finally made it to deliver what has been promised I have two critical issues:

1. I'm traveling and I can not make my mobile nor my laptop to detect Poly, everything works and Poly connected to network correctly. It is not the network configuration nor router/ap fault since sometime poly can be detected but it is completely random.
2. When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly :frowning2:

Anyone had similar issues and can provide some help please?
Not a problem if you give up on Poly.
For all head-fiers the root criteria should be 'does the product satisfy a need that I have?' so if Poly cannot satisfy your needs, then there is no disgrace in moving on. :relaxed:

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #17,976 of 19,049
Not a problem if you give up on Poly.
For all head-fiers the root criteria should be 'does the product satisfy a need that I have?' so if Poly cannot satisfy your needs, then there is no disgrace in moving on. :relaxed:
@miketlse its not about disgrace or any other negative feeling for a matter of facts. It is about a faulty product still being marked and being sold :wink: It is in my book a great misinterpretation saying that a product that does not work as promised does not satisfy my needs. I'm posting here since potential buyers should be aware that current firmware did not make poly usable despite what has been written on manufacturer web, product ads and manuals. Still love both Mojo and Mojo 2.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #17,977 of 19,049
@miketlse its not about disgrace or any other negative feeling for a matter of facts. It is about a faulty product still being marked and being sold :wink: It is in my book a great misinterpretation saying that a product that does not work as promised does not satisfy my needs. I'm posting here since potential buyers should be aware that current firmware did not make poly usable despite what has been written on manufacturer web, product ads and manuals. Still love both Mojo and Mojo 2.
Sorry if english isn't your first language. :relaxed:

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #17,978 of 19,049
Can you better describe this problem? Also giving examples, maybe I can help you

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #17,979 of 19,049
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #17,980 of 19,049
Arrogance.
I live overseas and work for a global company, so daily communicate with individuals/colleagues from multiple countries.
Occasionally one of them misunderstands an english phrase that I use, because they are not native speakers of the language.
This does make me continually aware of how easy it is for such misunderstandings to happen.
This is not arrogance.

I believe that alekc misunderstood what I was trying to say, and that now you too have misunderstood my reply.

I regret that you have misunderstood my response.

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #17,981 of 19,049
I live overseas and work for a global company, so daily communicate with individuals/colleagues from multiple countries.
Occasionally one of them misunderstands an english phrase that I use, because they are not native speakers of the language.
This does make me continually aware of how easy it is for such misunderstandings to happen.
This is not arrogance.

I believe that alekc misunderstood what I was trying to say, and that now you too have misunderstood my reply.

I regret that you have misunderstood my response.
@miketlse what I've got it despite the first native language is that others like @Guy Fawkes (thank you Sir!) offered help and you did not but no hard feelings here :)

I'm sorry I did misunderstood your post. Hint for a future from non native speaker: it would help a lot if you would explain what we have misunderstood :wink: On the second thought I wonder did you actually got my original post correctly. Hard to tell without hearing your explanation unfortunately.

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #17,982 of 19,049
Can you better describe this problem? Also giving examples, maybe I can help you
@Guy Fawkes abosutley, thank you for your help offer BTW.

When switching from one wifi network to another (due to traveling) after connecting poly to a new network (GoFiguer app shows correct network connected) both Android mobile, Mac and Windows notebooks fails to detect Poly. This happens on Tidal, mconnect, and via AirPlay. Sometimes mconnect can detect sd card from Poly but fails to detect it as target for streaming.

At the same time playing using playlist from sd card via GoFigure works flawlessly.

The best results when connecting via wifi I have with mconnect on Android. At the same time Mac and Windows notebooks fail to connect to Poly. So far switching Poly to AP mode, setting it to Wifi connected mode and power cycle seems to sometimes provide a fix in a way that poly magically reappears in streaming apps.

Let me know what you think please.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #17,983 of 19,049
@Guy Fawkes abosutley, thank you for your help offer BTW.

When switching from one wifi network to another (due to traveling) after connecting poly to a new network (GoFiguer app shows correct network connected) both Android mobile, Mac and Windows notebooks fails to detect Poly. This happens on Tidal, mconnect, and via AirPlay. Sometimes mconnect can detect sd card from Poly but fails to detect it as target for streaming.

At the same time playing using playlist from sd card via GoFigure works flawlessly.

The best results when connecting via wifi I have with mconnect on Android. At the same time Mac and Windows notebooks fail to connect to Poly. So far switching Poly to AP mode, setting it to Wifi connected mode and power cycle seems to sometimes provide a fix in a way that poly magically reappears in streaming apps.

Let me know what you think please.

Well, I don't use Mac and I don't know the OSX or IOS system but I can help you on both Windows and Android.

As for Windows I ask you: what program are you using to access Poly?

As far as Android is concerned, I did all the necessary tests, I state that I don't use MConnect or other UPnP/Dlna Apps as I consider them slow and they are not gapless
I rather rely on the MPD protocol, which is much more responsive, stable and gapless

As we know, we can play our Poly in two modes: Wi-Fi and Hotspot, below I have done all the tests by downloading MConnect for you.

Android phone and Poly Wi-Fi mode connected to the home network:

MConnect sees the Poly and I'm able to successfully send phone library audio for streaming;

Android phone in Teathering Wifi mode and Poly in Wi-Fi mode connected to it, here we are facing the classic outdoor configuration:

MConnect does not see the Poly and consequently fails to stream;

Poly in Hotspot mode and Android phone connected to it via Wi-Fi, another possible outdoor configuration with the limitation, however, of not being able to use the phone's data network (up to Android 10 this could be done) and not being able to use the stream:

MConnect sees Poly and successfully streams the audio of my phone library.

I also tested using other UPnP/Dlna apps with the same results (FiiO Music, Bubble UPnP)

In summary, if what you are trying to do is set your phone in Wi-FI teathering to connect your Poly, I can confirm that unfortunately the UPnP / DLNA protocol does not work in this but it works correctly if both devices are connected to a landline connection or with the Poly in Hotspot mode.

Just to know, however, I can confirm that with the MPD protocol I can read the mSD inside the Poly in all three conditions immediately and stably.

If your need is to listen via mSD then I advise you to abandon the UPnP Apps immediately and use the MPD protocol both on Android (MAFA, M.A.L.P), Windows (Stylophone), iOS (Rigelian).

If, on the other hand, your need is to keep the audio files inside your phone and use the streaming Apps (Tidal, Qobuz, etc...) then I recommend using the Poly in Hotspot mode when you are outdoors.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please ask

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #17,984 of 19,049
Truthfully, my answer would be no. As an android user I sort of feel like we are kind of second class users here, kind of. In part because apple has airplay support, while there is no equivalent for android because google cast is not supported. Yet. Maybe. There has been talk that it would be included since before launch, but no solid answer if its possible or ever actually coming. And to answer your question, even though they specifically mention spotify in the user manual, there is no spotify connect, and I dont think I have heard anything as to whether its actually coming. I have a feeling spotify was mentioned because you can likely use spotify connect via any airplay device, which the poly is... however, that doesnt work on android, and again, no google cast support, yet if ever. There is however an app called hify that you can run (without root I think) that allows spotify to see your poly. But its yet another app you would have to buy. And in my experience, the connection has been not great... though it could also be that my poly is having other issues anyways.

Also, if you are just planning to use it as a streamer for spotify and not even playback your own music files, there are likely better and cheaper options than a poly. The mojo is still solid, and you could get that and another dap/device (or even just your phone) and hook it up the mojo and play spotify that way. Its not an all in one solution and requires a cable and can be a bit awkward, but the poly is definitely overkill for what it seems you want, especially because it doesnt even natively do what you want.

Edit: the post by @miketlse right below this one does point to an upcoming changelog where chord does say streaming service support via dlna, but no mention if thats spotify or whether that will do what you want. I also still think a poly is overkill if you are just planning to use it for spotify, but maybe we will find out more this coming week when the next firmware is supposed to drop.
I have been looking for a solution for sometime and I ended up doing a Google search to find the answer in a thread I follow 🤣

Hify has worked for me and considering my use case a one of payment was well worth it.

Thanks for posting and this ends for now my search for using Spotify with my Mojo2/Poly device

Aug 5, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #17,985 of 19,049
When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly

I know nothing but could that be an issue with playback of DSD and the volume setting not 100% in the app you're are using?

Just trying to help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back