Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #17,956 of 18,865
Just need to connect my poly to wifi and let it on until the p-status flashing red green blue (indicating that the poly updating) wait 5 minutes, and turned it off and voila, my firmware successfully updated to 1.0.43. And just let gofigure update the firmware to V3. Now i'm pretty happy with my poly, i bought it ~230usd 2nd hand.
Good to hear that you were able to sort the firmware out.
Your Poly was almost worthless with that early version of the firmware, but now it is V3 you have a bargain at $230.

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #17,957 of 18,865
Good to hear that you were able to sort the firmware out.
Your Poly was almost worthless with that early version of the firmware, but now it is V3 you have a bargain at $230.
I'm coming back in 2030 when that quote will be:

"Good to hear that you were able to sort the firmware out.

Your Poly was almost worthless with that early version of the firmware, but now it is V8 you have a bargain at $230."

:)

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #17,958 of 18,865
I'm coming back in 2030 when that quote will be:

"Good to hear that you were able to sort the firmware out.

Your Poly was almost worthless with that early version of the firmware, but now it is V8 you have a bargain at $230."

:)
I suspect that by 2030 functionalities like Google Cast, Spotify Connect etc will have long been superceded, and replaced by something new, so V8 may well be necessary.

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #17,960 of 18,865
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #17,962 of 18,865
Jul 22, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #17,963 of 18,865
And who knows by 2030 spotify may offer lossless audio after all
They have gone lossless and there will still be no reason to use Spotify at all. Hopefully alternatives exist...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #17,964 of 18,865
I would also advise against buying poly, especially for use outside the home, for the following reasons:

1. the design is very flimsy without a case, but it gets very hot in the case
2. poly is discharged even without use in the off state (50% in a week)
3. poly takes a very long time to charge and poorly charges mojo2 through itself, if you charge mojo2 separately - it charges much faster and without failures that occur due to poly
4. poly does not work well with mesh wifi (but hotels usually use such networks)
5. I tried various applications in order to listen from a phone or from a memory card - everything works very badly, the normal scheme is to use only with Roon

Not sure if I'm lucky here but fortunately I had no issues with connections and using poly+mojo2 outside and at hotels. However recently I listen mostly from sd card anyway. Works very well and sounds great.

Unfortunately I can echo here issues related to the battery.. there was always something weird while charging poly, I never really know if the charging is completed or not. Works slightly better when I charge poly and mojo separately. And the poly's battery drains faster than the mojo.

Jul 22, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #17,965 of 18,865
I honestly wish a third party would enter the market with a Poly competitor. Chord doesn’t seem to care enough about their existing customers to advance the functionality in the Poly 2Go but maybe some competitive pressure might get them to stop sitting on their hands. And if not, maybe the competitor would turn their Poly into something that would really excite the market.

I wish someone would bring true DAP capabilities to the Mojos that includes a screen so there is no need to have to involve a separate device. I doubt I’ll ever see such a device though. It’s a real shame though that Rob Watts gives us state of the art while the Poly team gives us last technology that was already falling out of favor a decade ago.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #17,966 of 18,865
I honestly wish a third party would enter the market with a Poly competitor. Chord doesn’t seem to care enough about their existing customers to advance the functionality in the Poly 2Go but maybe some competitive pressure might get them to stop sitting on their hands. And if not, maybe the competitor would turn their Poly into something that would really excite the market.

I wish someone would bring true DAP capabilities to the Mojos that includes a screen so there is no need to have to involve a separate device. I doubt I’ll ever see such a device though. It’s a real shame though that Rob Watts gives us state of the art while the Poly team gives us last technology that was already falling out of favor a decade ago.
My POV does differ in some respects from yours:

For many consumer products, a competitor does successfully introduce an equivalent product with improved functionality, but for Poly there has never been the slightest sniff of a competitor product. A competitor product would be disruptive and interesting, but I sense the probability of such a product is close to zero, so we are all left with trying to influence Chord to keep improving the Poly.

I think that you are being too harsh saying 'Chord doesn't seem to care enough'. There are enough indications currently from GoFigure updates, that there is a Poly firmware update due soon, but there is no indication what new capability/functionality is coming. A short post from Chord managing expectations for this firmware update, would greatly help transparency. :relaxed:

Adding a screen to Mojo will always be a backwards step. A simple functional analysis requiring a screen for user input/configuration would quickly conclude that using existing apps and screens on smartphones/tablets will have zero negative impact on the Mojo2 sound quality, compared to adding an electrically noisy screen to Mojo itself.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #17,967 of 18,865
I think that you are being too harsh saying 'Chord doesn't seem to care enough'. There are enough indications currently from GoFigure updates, that there is a Poly firmware update due soon, but there is no indication what new capability/functionality is coming. A short post from Chord managing expectations for this firmware update, would greatly help transparency. :relaxed:
Firmware 3 appears to have been released in late 2021 and firmware 2 a few years before that in 2019. The latter was pretty much a disaster with issues that shouldn’t have required a two year wait to resolve. Such long periods of time between updates doesn’t show a real commitment to delighting customers, especially when there is so much low-hanging fruit. It’s likely true that we’ll see a firmware upgrade soon, but then it will likely be another 2 year wait. Then another 2 year wait.

Adding a screen to Mojo will always be a backwards step. A simple functional analysis requiring a screen for user input/configuration would quickly conclude that using existing apps and screens on smartphones/tablets will have zero negative impact on the Mojo2 sound quality, compared to adding an electrically noisy screen to Mojo itself.
I disagree and I suspect there are many who never purchased Poly or who did and bailed who would disagree. It’s still too convoluted to use Mojo with a smartphone when going mobile. The options are to use a wired connection or Poly in bluetooth or hotspot mode and each of these come with tradeoffs. I’ve spent more time fiddling to get Poly playing music than any human should be required to do in their lifetime or even five lifetimes. We should be able to just plug in our headphones, select a song, listen to great sounding music and the slide the device into our pocket. I had a Pono before the Poly and I used it so much more because it just worked. And it did so with its original firmware. One didn’t have to wait years for a a firmware v3 that finally allowed a reliable connection with their own app.

I get that we each value different things. But that’s exactly why customer-focused companies prioritize user-experience and provide multiple options that can solve a number of use cases. Customer-focused companies also listen to their customers and try to quickly solve their needs by releasing fixes and enhancements as soon as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Poly when I am listening at work. But has nearly never gone mobile with me, which is why I will eventually fork over some money to get a real DAP. That’s money that Chord won’t get because they are still stuck in thinking the way they thought back when the Poly was released. No other company followed their lead to the best of my knowledge. The only reason Polys sell at all is because of Mojo or Mojo 2. It would be dead if it wasn’t for Rob Watts’ genius.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #17,968 of 18,865
Firmware 3 appears to have been released in late 2021 and firmware 2 a few years before that in 2019. The latter was pretty much a disaster with issues that shouldn’t have required a two year wait to resolve. Such long periods of time between updates doesn’t show a real commitment to delighting customers, especially when there is so much low-hanging fruit. It’s likely true that we’ll see a firmware upgrade soon, but then it will likely be another 2 year wait. Then another 2 year wait.

I disagree and I suspect there are many who never purchased Poly or who did and bailed who would disagree. It’s still too convoluted to use Mojo with a smartphone when going mobile. The options are to use a wired connection or Poly in bluetooth or hotspot mode and each of these come with tradeoffs. I’ve spent more time fiddling to get Poly playing music than any human should be required to do in their lifetime or even five lifetimes. We should be able to just plug in our headphones, select a song, listen to great sounding music and the slide the device into our pocket. I had a Pono before the Poly and I used it so much more because it just worked. And it did so with its original firmware. One didn’t have to wait years for a a firmware v3 that finally allowed a reliable connection with their own app.

I get that we each value different things. But that’s exactly why customer-focused companies prioritize user-experience and provide multiple options that can solve a number of use cases. Customer-focused companies also listen to their customers and try to quickly solve their needs by releasing fixes and enhancements as soon as possible.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Poly when I am listening at work. But has nearly never gone mobile with me, which is why I will eventually fork over some money to get a real DAP. That’s money that Chord won’t get because they are still stuck in thinking the way they thought back when the Poly was released. No other company followed their lead to the best of my knowledge. The only reason Polys sell at all is because of Mojo or Mojo 2. It would be dead if it wasn’t for Rob Watts’ genius.
You forgot the carry a separate battery powered wireless hotspot option, yes I have done that, it works well but it’s an extra item to charge, carry and of course it needs its own data sim.

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #17,969 of 18,865
I think it is time for me to gave up on Poly. While it looked like v3 firmware finally made it to deliver what has been promised I have two critical issues:

1. I'm traveling and I can not make my mobile nor my laptop to detect Poly, everything works and Poly connected to network correctly. It is not the network configuration nor router/ap fault since sometime poly can be detected but it is completely random.
2. When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly :frowning2:

Anyone had similar issues and can provide some help please?

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #17,970 of 18,865
I think it is time for me to gave up on Poly. While it looked like v3 firmware finally made it to deliver what has been promised I have two critical issues:

1. I'm traveling and I can not make my mobile nor my laptop to detect Poly, everything works and Poly connected to network correctly. It is not the network configuration nor router/ap fault since sometime poly can be detected but it is completely random.
2. When playing DSD256 via mconnect using bit perfect I have some burst of white noise between tracks. I know some people have been reporting such issues during Mojo 2 playback but I think I'm the first to report the issue with Poly :frowning2:

Anyone had similar issues and can provide some help please?
1. what is your laptop or mobile?
2. I have never tried DSD, is it off internal SD or via Wifi? With Mojo white noise is usually due to a faulty cable, and means that somehow the rate of data chocks the "pipe". DSD256 might be a lot to push, but I could try and see, I think I have a few DSD files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back