Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #17,056 of 18,784
I'm glad for the Bubbleupnp devs coming through, because Chord has been a letdown for the Android folks.

I personally refuse to switch to iPhone just because I want to make this system work. If I'm going to switch to iPhone it should be because I want to.
I completely agree. I love my mojo/poly but Chord really needs to develop their own app or get someone competent to do it. My preference would be for "Roon for Chord," which turns a phone into a roon server.

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #17,057 of 18,784
Bubbleupnp has a feature now called "Audio Cast" that can help. It mirrors any audio played on the phone to it. I've tried it with Poly/2Go and it works. Can play downloaded offline music via Tidal and even Youtube audio (albeit, delayed audio). If there is any degradation in sound quality, it's difficult to notice. Sounds fine to me. I'm glad for the Bubbleupnp devs coming through, because Chord has been a letdown for the Android folks.

I personally refuse to switch to iPhone just because I want to make this system work. If I'm going to switch to iPhone it should be because I want to.
I am gonna give this a try right away! Thank you for letting me know!

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #17,058 of 18,784
I had posted below 2 questions regarding file audio quality when using the Audio Cast function in the XDA forums. Have pasted them here to share if anyone is keen. Credits to poster Bubbleguuum for the inputs/ advice. Thanks again!

1) I'm using Audio Cast in BubbleUPnP to stream Apple Music or Tidal lossless to my Chord Mojo 2 + Poly.

If I understand correctly, the maximum bit rate supported by Audio Cast is 16 bit/ 44.1 khz? Hence, for any music higher than 16/44 (e.g. Apple Music Hi Res Lossless 24 bit/ 192khz), there would be any audio improvement since Audio Cast is limited to 16/ 44.1?

2) Technicalities aside, between Apple Music and Tidal, has anyone heard which is better when using Audio Cast?

>>> Yes, Audio Cast sends a continuous PCM stream at a fixed samplerate/bitdepth. There is no other way. It is a bit similar to AirPlay which also operates at 44.1/16. If you play HiRes Music in Apple Music (or any other app) or audio that is not already 44.1/16, it will be resampled by the system (Android) and that's what BubbleUPnP reads for sending back to the renderer.

If I understand correctly, the maximum bit rate supported by Audio Cast is 16 bit/ 44khz? Hence, for any music higher than 16/44 (e.g. Apple Music Hi Res Lossless 24 bit/ 192khz), there would be any audio improvement since Audio Cast is limited to 16/44.1?

TIDAL should be better if set to use FLAC 44.1/16 which will play unmodified via Audio Cast since it is already 44.1/16.
If Apple is capable of outputting lossless at 44.1/16, it should be as good.

Note that for TIDAL, you can also use the integration of TIDAL in BubbleUPnP so your renderer streams directly from TIDAL. There should theoretically not be a difference in audio quality (since both are FLAC 44.1/16), but using BubbleUPnP is more direct (less of a black box).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #17,060 of 18,784
I ran into problems even on step 1 of poly setup. I too have an Orbi Mesh setup. Between these initial issues and the poor app ( which couldn’t find the poly) and the inability to reset the device with the config hole, I decided to return the V3 poly.

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #17,064 of 18,784
Is it worth getting the leather case for the mojo/poly?
Yes, the good one anyway. Helps when it drops I think, as it can be a bit accident prone, carrying it around all the time.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #17,065 of 18,784
I had posted below 2 questions regarding file audio quality when using the Audio Cast function in the XDA forums. Have pasted them here to share if anyone is keen. Credits to poster Bubbleguuum for the inputs/ advice. Thanks again!

1) I'm using Audio Cast in BubbleUPnP to stream Apple Music or Tidal lossless to my Chord Mojo 2 + Poly.

If I understand correctly, the maximum bit rate supported by Audio Cast is 16 bit/ 44.1 khz? Hence, for any music higher than 16/44 (e.g. Apple Music Hi Res Lossless 24 bit/ 192khz), there would be any audio improvement since Audio Cast is limited to 16/ 44.1?

2) Technicalities aside, between Apple Music and Tidal, has anyone heard which is better when using Audio Cast?

>>> Yes, Audio Cast sends a continuous PCM stream at a fixed samplerate/bitdepth. There is no other way. It is a bit similar to AirPlay which also operates at 44.1/16. If you play HiRes Music in Apple Music (or any other app) or audio that is not already 44.1/16, it will be resampled by the system (Android) and that's what BubbleUPnP reads for sending back to the renderer.

If I understand correctly, the maximum bit rate supported by Audio Cast is 16 bit/ 44khz? Hence, for any music higher than 16/44 (e.g. Apple Music Hi Res Lossless 24 bit/ 192khz), there would be any audio improvement since Audio Cast is limited to 16/44.1?

TIDAL should be better if set to use FLAC 44.1/16 which will play unmodified via Audio Cast since it is already 44.1/16.
If Apple is capable of outputting lossless at 44.1/16, it should be as good.

Note that for TIDAL, you can also use the integration of TIDAL in BubbleUPnP so your renderer streams directly from TIDAL. There should theoretically not be a difference in audio quality (since both are FLAC 44.1/16), but using BubbleUPnP is more direct (less of a black box).
Audiocast is Chromecast in a different guise, I believe. In which case it is limited to 96/24 and so can transmit hi-res up to that rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back