Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Sep 3, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #15,526 of 19,125
The british amazon reviews are the ones to read...not the us ones. Brutal doesnt begin to describe it!

What wifi settings did you change, which worked? I tried everything. Also, are you on apple or android? I heard that airplay resolves these sorts of networking problems, described above?

I'm on Android, so I certainly felt neglected in the early days as Chord focus on Apple first.
For the WLAN, I downloaded a couple of WLAN survey apps to get a picture of the RF around the house, and signal strength in each room.
They showed me how much interference was coming from neighbours WLAN, printers etc.
I moved the AP's (2 in a mesh) to get better coverage, and forced all devices (except Poly) to only connect via 5Ghz (all the noise was at 2.4Ghz).
This fixed my sons gaming issues, and subsequently meant Poly (touch wood) hasn't had any connectivity, buffering, dropout problems.
I'm able to stream from the internet (BBC stations) to Poly. Stream from my NAS, or stream from a mobile over the WLAN (not Poly hotspot, lazy I know) to Poly.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #15,527 of 19,125
Bought the poly a few years ago, and have probably listened to music on it for five-six hours.

As an Android user the Bluetooth playback isn't worth it at all, it doesn't sound any better than straight out of the headphone jack on my phone...

I bought it due to the advertisement about it having Spotify connect, seeing as I find Spotify the most usable streaming service. (A lot of options aren't available here either)

I started reading this thread while it was at around page 150 or so..

I have played around with an SD card, and checking out gofigure whenever there's an update.
It connects about 7/10 times, often the app crashes.

It really doesn't feel like a finished product, and even though the company keeps stating they are working on a solution with Spotify, who knows how long it will be before that works?...

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #15,528 of 19,125
It really doesn't feel like a finished product, and even though the company keeps stating they are working on a solution with Spotify, who knows how long it will be before that works?...

And even if these things are fixed/implemented, is it true that there is a hardware limitation in that it only has the lowest quality bluetooth, not the new LDAC or whatever it's called? (Sorry, all of my things are wired, not familiar with the wireless streaming tech/options) Or am I missing something, and most people connect to it wirelessly using something other than bluetooth?

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #15,529 of 19,125
And even if these things are fixed/implemented, is it true that there is a hardware limitation in that it only has the lowest quality bluetooth, not the new LDAC or whatever it's called? (Sorry, all of my things are wired, not familiar with the wireless streaming tech/options) Or am I missing something, and most people connect to it wirelessly using something other than bluetooth?
You most likely wouldn't use Bluetooth playback on it, ever.

As far as I know it doesn't support any quality codec over Bluetooth, not even normal old aptx.

So you are limited to SD card playback or some sort of streaming if you'd actually want to listen to music.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #15,530 of 19,125
You most likely wouldn't use Bluetooth playback on it, ever.

As far as I know it doesn't support any quality codec over Bluetooth, not even normal old aptx.

So you are limited to SD card playback or some sort of streaming if you'd actually want to listen to music.

OK. But how does the streaming happen when away from home (no WiFi). What is the technology that Android for example uses to stream from the phone to the Poly? Isn't that bluetooth or do the two devices connect via 4G? (this shows you how little I know of this subject)

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #15,531 of 19,125
OK. But how does the streaming happen when away from home (no WiFi). What is the technology that Android for example uses to stream from the phone to the Poly? Isn't that bluetooth or do the two devices connect via 4G? (this shows you how little I know of this subject)
You suppose to use your phone in tethering mode and connect Poly to your phone wifi network.
Or use Poly n hotspot mode and then connect your phone to Poly wifi network.
First option seems to be easier and better to manage as you can have added two wifi connections to Poly.
One is your home wifi second is the one from your phone. And when you go out the only thing you have to do is turn on tethering on your phone, Poly should automatically switch to your phone network.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #15,532 of 19,125
I'm on Android, so I certainly felt neglected in the early days as Chord focus on Apple first.
For the WLAN, I downloaded a couple of WLAN survey apps to get a picture of the RF around the house, and signal strength in each room.
They showed me how much interference was coming from neighbours WLAN, printers etc.
I moved the AP's (2 in a mesh) to get better coverage, and forced all devices (except Poly) to only connect via 5Ghz (all the noise was at 2.4Ghz).
This fixed my sons gaming issues, and subsequently meant Poly (touch wood) hasn't had any connectivity, buffering, dropout problems.
I'm able to stream from the internet (BBC stations) to Poly. Stream from my NAS, or stream from a mobile over the WLAN (not Poly hotspot, lazy I know) to Poly.

Yeah I tried shifting everything i could, exceptnthe poly, to 5ghz too. Also manually assigned sticky IP addresses to all devices in order to sidestep dhcp. No interference where I live from others. I'm virtually in the sticks. Still didnt have any luck with any of these solutions. Crash hot router, too, (which I changed, thinking that might be the problem, but had exactly the same issues on both routers). No such issues on any of my other devices or roon endpoints...it really is the poly causing the difficulties...

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #15,533 of 19,125
You suppose to use your phone in tethering mode and connect Poly to your phone wifi network.
Or use Poly n hotspot mode and then connect your phone to Poly wifi network.
First option seems to be easier and better to manage as you can have added two wifi connections to Poly.
One is your home wifi second is the one from your phone. And when you go out the only thing you have to do is turn on tethering on your phone, Poly should automatically switch to your phone network.

This is exactly correct. Bluetooth should never be used if you want a quality playback, and you set up a local poly/network when you're on the road. Problem is, that it just doesnt work reliably. So, you either have a choice of effing about with the bloody thing, trying to get it to work, or you just head for your destination, and leave it at home...in a drawer....unused.

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #15,534 of 19,125
Yep. That's about the size of it. Except 10mins to get it working again was the exception, rather than the rule, for me...should have left the comment above on this one instead. UK amazon has the most telling reviews, not the us one. I never knew that the overall ratings were the same on both sites, but that the written reviews you can see are different...

Yeah I had exactly the same dilemma about the mojopoly. The mojo is so good, but the poly is sooooo bad. I've determined to keep the mojo, come what may in the court case, but that poly is going, no matter what, and that I'm never buying anything from chord again. They should have been fixing the poly problems, not trying to develop a similar system for the hugo. And they should be providing refunds to everyone who is having these sorts of problems, and which they cant resolve...

The retailer is an auckland based computer shop, with a strong interest in headphones and audio, and from from which I had bought LOADS of stuff before, so their attitude was disappointing. They kept telling me that they had sent my poly to their chord rep, and that it was him/her, who was telling them that there was nothing wrong with it. But I doubt they actually did this. They wouldnt give me the rep's details, so I could speak with them, directly. I mean, I know there was something wrong, because not even the reset button worked anymore (probably broken from overuse), but the reason I didnt want a replacement was because of the obvious problems with the implementation of a brand new unit. I think, even when working 100%, it's still prone to network dropouts, stuttering, becoming invisible to the network for no good reason, (or at least, any reason which anyone, including anyone from chord, can fathom), etc etc. Its like the poly itself causes network interference and results in it being booted from the network.

I should ask, were you on android or iphone? I heard airplay gets rid of the networking problems. I was never able to try this. Fat lot of good if you're on android, like me....

What court case?

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #15,535 of 19,125
Bought the poly a few years ago, and have probably listened to music on it for five-six hours.

As an Android user the Bluetooth playback isn't worth it at all, it doesn't sound any better than straight out of the headphone jack on my phone...

I bought it due to the advertisement about it having Spotify connect, seeing as I find Spotify the most usable streaming service. (A lot of options aren't available here either)

I started reading this thread while it was at around page 150 or so..

I have played around with an SD card, and checking out gofigure whenever there's an update.
It connects about 7/10 times, often the app crashes.

Spotify Connect works for me, fwiw

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #15,536 of 19,125
Have you tried Mojo on it's own, e.g fed via PC or a USB connected smartphone?
Is the hiss still present then?

Are any of the units on charge when you hear the extraneous noise? iPhone, iPad, or Mojo/Poly combo? I find that my older iPad produces a hiss with wired headphones plugged directly into the 3.5mm earphone socket (no Mojo/Poly), if it is on charge. I always listen to Mojo/Poly on battery only.

Thank you both. Was not readily able to try Mojo solo; no sources being charged at the time.

Contacted Chord (which responded very quickly) and largely ID'd and fixed the problem. Apparently speaker selection within Spotify app is streamed via Airplay, which can have a background hiss/hum problem. Turning down volume on Mojo until hum no longer audible, and using source phone volume and/or Spotify volume to turn sound up worked fine (no hum).

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #15,538 of 19,125
Does it?
As in, open Spotify on your phone and select the poly as playback device? Not Spotify over Bluetooth.
Oh, I see what you mean. No, it's Airplay. If Polymorph first connected to the source device, when I open Spotify and select the speaker options, shows various Sonos speakers, my KEF LSX speakers, PC, roku and, lastly, AirPlay or Bluetooth - which if I select then shows the Polymorph as an option. Is there a meaningful difference between the former direct connection (Sonos or KEF LSX speakers) vs the latter option?

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #15,539 of 19,125
Hey guys, first time using the poly and I'm experiencing a weird issue with it. I'm hearing what sounds like digital/streaming distortion or crackling at times. It sounds similar to when you're on a voip call and either you or the person you're talking to has a weak connection.

I'm listening through the headphone slot of the mojo. The poly is connected to my local wifi and I'm controlling it via MALP on my Android phone, so to my understanding the poly should be playing music straight from the SD card and not streaming anything over the network.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it? It happens on consecutive songs at times.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #15,540 of 19,125
Hey guys, first time using the poly and I'm experiencing a weird issue with it. I'm hearing what sounds like digital/streaming distortion or crackling at times. It sounds similar to when you're on a voip call and either you or the person you're talking to has a weak connection.

I'm listening through the headphone slot of the mojo. The poly is connected to my local wifi and I'm controlling it via MALP on my Android phone, so to my understanding the poly should be playing music straight from the SD card and not streaming anything over the network.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it? It happens on consecutive songs at times.
Could be interference via headphone cable from phone. What headphones are you using and how far is phone from cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back