Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #11,957 of 18,757
I do love my MojoPoly, I think my real issues with the device are that the Mojo discharges a fair bit faster than the Poly, which makes sense as an ‘older’ device.
The other thing is more about my impatience , switching between Hotspot and the other mode is a tad slow. Especially as the app has to connect to the Poly each and every time. Have there been any attempts to optimise this process? Just when I’m ready for my walk to work I need my music as soon as possible :p

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #11,959 of 18,757
I am glad you found my post useful, the way you describe it is exactly what I hear. Noise and interference every time the poly communicates via wifi. You hear it when glider syncs, I can hear it even when scrolling through my dlna library (as I am sure it refreshes and updates dynamically as I scroll). Switching to the jack definitely helped, in some cases. And just like you, the better jack is the one closer to the LED control balls on the mojo.

However, I should also note that if you read on further as I continued that initial discussion, @Matt Bartlett and @Mojo ideas both let me know after I posted that, that there should be no difference between the two mojo jacks in terms of shielding. However, the difference I heard was real. I should also mention though that the improvement I heard was only in certain situations. At home, sitting at my desk, it worked ok in that jack (still bad in the other), but doing the same thing at work yielded no improvements at all from the different jacks. In that case I dont know if its because the wireless interference at work is greater, or because I use my phones hotspot and not a separate wifi network, or what. But switching the jack made no difference there, so it is unfortunately a solution that only seems to work some of the time and in some specific circumstance that I am unsure what it is.

It is a real shame because the mojo sounds excellent otherwise, and the poly is a very nice addon, even with all the growing pains and difficulties getting it to where it is now (and there is still more than needs to be done). But, the interference is really really frustrating and extremely disappointing that it is so noticeable on a product that costs combined about $1200 dollars in the US. And worse is that it seems like there is nothing actually wrong with my units, its just that with sensitive IEMs, it picks up interference. Doubly frustrating too is that the interference is known on the mojo, yet it was supposed to be from using USB. The poly was supposed to eliminate that, but seems to have had no effect or possibly introduced even more intereference, at least for me when using my headphones of choice. I should also note again that using it with something like my Senn HD6XX, and I cant hear the interference at all.

But the whole point of getting these units for me was for portable use, for use with my IEMs. All I have for comparison is a little rinky dink $100 dollar earstudio ES100. Sure it doesnt have wifi, but it uses bluetooth and is dead silent. And the interference unfortunately gets under my skin enough (among some of the other issues, like the poly battery dies after a couple weeks even when powered off) that I barely ever use my mojo/poly.
I found out that the interference only occurs above certain volume level on the mojo. If I keep the iPhone on max volume and the mojo on the red lights (I guess around 30% of the volume - I actually never know by just looking at the colours), I can’t notice any interference. The only way I found to minimise the issue. None of the other connection types eliminated the issue. I guess, it won’t happen only if you wire the phone straight to the mojo.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #11,960 of 18,757
Hi @mashuto out of curiosity do you still have the noise if you use Mojo/Poly with Bluetooth only and put Poly in Airplane mode?

I will have to run a test for you later today, but my recollection from last time I went through this was that the noise was related to the wifi specifically, and that airplane mode eliminated it. Again, I will try and test that later to confirm if I am remembering correctly.

I also know I could set up playlists and do the quick control through gofigure while in airplane mode if that's the case, but that is a bit limiting as I lose the ability to use my app of choice and would be limited to playlists only.

I found out that the interference only occurs above certain volume level on the mojo. If I keep the iPhone on max volume and the mojo on the red lights (I guess around 30% of the volume - I actually never know by just looking at the colours), I can’t notice any interference. The only way I found to minimise the issue. None of the other connection types eliminated the issue. I guess, it won’t happen only if you wire the phone straight to the mojo.

In my case, the interference I hear is completely independent of the mojo volume. I hear the interference the same even if I turn the mojo volume completely down (off).

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #11,961 of 18,757
Hi @mashuto out of curiosity do you still have the noise if you use Mojo/Poly with Bluetooth only and put Poly in Airplane mode?
I will have to run a test for you later today, but my recollection from last time I went through this was that the noise was related to the wifi specifically, and that airplane mode eliminated it. Again, I will try and test that later to confirm if I am remembering correctly.
In my case, the interference I hear is completely independent of the mojo volume. I hear the interference the same even if I turn the mojo volume completely down (off).

I could play a little bit with MojoPoly now, and I can confirm the following:
  • Putting Poly in Airplane/Bluetooth mode (= turning off Poly Wi-Fi) reduces the noises that are coming from the Poly. (However, there can be other sources around, the biggest being the cellular phone, and probably some wireless devices, although I didn't test for this.)
  • Looks like changing the volume doesn't matter at all for this kind of interference. I can confirm that even turning the volume completely down (LED balls go off) won't change the noises.
Let me repeat that the jack closer to the LED balls gives an acceptable level of noise. The phone must be kept far enough and then it's okay.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #11,963 of 18,757
No the current update we are working on does not include Chromecast. We are still in discussions with Google to try and make this happen.

I'm sure I'm not the only potential Poly buyer waiting for proper Tidal usage via Android. I won't buy something (this expensive, at least) on a promise.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #11,964 of 18,757
I could play a little bit with MojoPoly now, and I can confirm the following:
  • Putting Poly in Airplane/Bluetooth mode (= turning off Poly Wi-Fi) reduces the noises that are coming from the Poly. (However, there can be other sources around, the biggest being the cellular phone, and probably some wireless devices, although I didn't test for this.)
  • Looks like changing the volume doesn't matter at all for this kind of interference. I can confirm that even turning the volume completely down (LED balls go off) won't change the noises.
Let me repeat that the jack closer to the LED balls gives an acceptable level of noise. The phone must be kept far enough and then it's okay.

Yes it's really important to keep the phone away from the cable or jack of these sensitive IEM's otherwise you will pick up noise. Essentially the cable acts like a massive antenna.
On Poly the same applies that if the IEM cable runs close to the black plastic antenna window then it can pick up noise.
I should add that this only happens on a few of the really sensitive IEMs.
Originally IEM's were designed for stage and live sound use where the receiver packs/amplifiers are low power and the extra sensitivity was required to get enough gain so the artist could actually hear the foldback track over the PA on stage. The downside to this high sensitivity is that it can reveal induced noise from high power radio transmitters built into products such as mobile phones. Hopefully this will help to explain why this is happening.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #11,965 of 18,757
Yes it's really important to keep the phone away from the cable or jack of these sensitive IEM's otherwise you will pick up noise. Essentially the cable acts like a massive antenna.
On Poly the same applies that if the IEM cable runs close to the black plastic antenna window then it can pick up noise.
I should add that this only happens on a few of the really sensitive IEMs.
Originally IEM's were designed for stage and live sound use where the receiver packs/amplifiers are low power and the extra sensitivity was required to get enough gain so the artist could actually hear the foldback track over the PA on stage. The downside to this high sensitivity is that it can reveal induced noise from high power radio transmitters built into products such as mobile phones. Hopefully this will help to explain why this is happening.

I've had these IEMs for 1.5 years, before that I had Shure SE535s, before that the 500PTH, and some Etymotic. I don't remember having any problems with radio interference with any of these IEMs.

The Chord Mojo is the first device where I constantly experience radio frequency interference. It's hard to blame it on the IEMs.

Note also that the noise disappears when I hold the Mojo in my hand. So shielding seems to be possible.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #11,966 of 18,757
I've had these IEMs for 1.5 years, before that I had Shure SE535s, before that the 500PTH, and some Etymotic. I don't remember having any problems with radio interference with any of these IEMs.

The Chord Mojo is the first device where I constantly experience radio frequency interference. It's hard to blame it on the IEMs.

Note also that the noise disappears when I hold the Mojo in my hand. So shielding seems to be possible.

Yes sure but Mojo has much more power/gain than other equivalent sized headphone DAC / amplifiers that you may have used previously. It was designed that way at the time because some of the most popular headphones were particularly difficult to drive ( e.g HD800 ) and yet we still wanted to make it useable with very low power IEM's as well. Producing a different product specifically for IEM's would have been easier but we wanted Mojo to be useable with as many headphones and IEM's as possible to give customers flexibility.
The point I really wanted to make was that adding Poly to Mojo helps to move the phone away from your IEMs and Mojo reducing or in most cases stopping any interference.

@Mbarbieri When you say you are getting noise when using your iPhone is that when using Airplay? Although it's actually really convenient to use the phone volume control it does mean the audio is no longer bit perfect. This is because the volume control starts to truncate ( remove bits ) to reduce the volume which can give the effect of noise or distortion. Ideally for bit perfect playback then you should leave the Airplay ( or software ) volume control at maximum then use the volume control on Mojo.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #11,967 of 18,757
Thanks @Matt Bartlett that explains it.
I can definitely live with the current situation, the jack closer to the LED buttons is okay.
Mojo and Poly are amazing devices, I am enjoying the music through them a lot.
:ksc75smile:

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #11,968 of 18,757
Yes sure but Mojo has much more power/gain than other equivalent sized headphone DAC / amplifiers that you may have used previously. It was designed that way at the time because some of the most popular headphones were particularly difficult to drive ( e.g HD800 ) and yet we still wanted to make it useable with very low power IEM's as well. Producing a different product specifically for IEM's would have been easier but we wanted Mojo to be useable with as many headphones and IEM's as possible to give customers flexibility.
The point I really wanted to make was that adding Poly to Mojo helps to move the phone away from your IEMs and Mojo reducing or in most cases stopping any interference.

@Mbarbieri When you say you are getting noise when using your iPhone is that when using Airplay? Although it's actually really convenient to use the phone volume control it does mean the audio is no longer bit perfect. This is because the volume control starts to truncate ( remove bits ) to reduce the volume which can give the effect of noise or distortion. Ideally for bit perfect playback then you should leave the Airplay ( or software ) volume control at maximum then use the volume control on Mojo.
Thanks very much for the reply, @Matt Bartlett . Yes, I'm using Airplay. Ok, I can confirm that I cannot feel any interference if I push the volume control to the maximum. Does the option "Bit Perfect" on the GoFigure app makes any difference in this case? Thanks again.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #11,969 of 18,757
Thanks very much for the reply, @Matt Bartlett . Yes, I'm using Airplay. Ok, I can confirm that I cannot feel any interference if I push the volume control to the maximum. Does the option "Bit Perfect" on the GoFigure app makes any difference in this case? Thanks again.

Ok then yes it's the Airplay volume control causing the issue. Bit Perfect will not help ( although I would personally always leave it on ) as the volume control on Airplay takes priority and changes the signal before it is transmitted to Poly.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #11,970 of 18,757
Well I'm back in the UK now and testing the update. It's not far away now but it's complex as we have to update the firmware and Android / iOS apps at the same time.

So when will it b........

5C4F6522-3454-4764-824D-17D4239A70EC.jpeg

CA7105E6-33E9-4919-92FA-B44858B54FFB.jpeg

upload_2019-2-7_21-3-16.jpeg

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back