Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 14, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #11,778 of 18,786
Anyone care to guess which player/amp combo gives more reliable playback and gets more head-time?

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 11.13.05 am.png

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #11,780 of 18,786
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #11,782 of 18,786
DSD and FLAC playback?
Obviously no DSD. No-one needs DSD (IMHO). I have one DSD album in my collection, despite owning more than one DSD-capable DAC.

The old Gen-4 c2004 iPod doesn't play FLAC...but it does play lossless - I converted my whole FLAC collection to ALAC via XLD, which is the exact same thing in terms of information. I replaced the original Toshiba drive with a flash conversion kit, and it now has a 400gb microSD card with my entire lossless/CD collection on it.

It also has a screen, great UI, and plays music immediately without the need for wifi or a smartphone.

The point I'm trying to make is that the best music playback you can listen to is the one that actually gets you enjoying your music more often, without frustration or interruption.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #11,784 of 18,786
Obviously no DSD. No-one needs DSD (IMHO). I have one DSD album in my collection, despite owning more than one DSD-capable DAC.

The old Gen-4 c2004 iPod doesn't play FLAC...but it does play lossless - I converted my whole FLAC collection to ALAC via XLD, which is the exact same thing in terms of information. I replaced the original Toshiba drive with a flash conversion kit, and it now has a 400gb microSD card with my entire lossless/CD collection on it.

It also has a screen, great UI, and plays music immediately without the need for wifi or a smartphone.

The point I'm trying to make is that the best music playback you can listen to is the one that actually gets you enjoying your music more often, without frustration or interruption.
That’s a nice conversion, I have an unconverted iPod here, I’d like to modify it at some point.
Is the sq comparable ?

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #11,785 of 18,786
Obviously no DSD. No-one needs DSD (IMHO). I have one DSD album in my collection, despite owning more than one DSD-capable DAC... The old Gen-4 c2004 iPod doesn't play FLAC...but it does play lossless - I converted my whole FLAC collection to ALAC via XLD, which is the exact same thing in terms of information. I replaced the original Toshiba drive with a flash conversion kit, and it now has a 400gb microSD card with my entire lossless/CD collection on it... It also has a screen, great UI, and plays music immediately without the need for wifi or a smartphone... The point I'm trying to make is that the best music playback you can listen to is the one that actually gets you enjoying your music more often, without frustration or interruption.

Firstly, I feel obliged to point out that Mojo/Poly combo was designed to be used with a Smart-Phone.

where I can applaud you ingenuity & diy skills I fail to see the point you are trying to make... DSD is nothing new it's just the file format for SACD, I have few of those in my CD collection along with some even better sounding 'Mastersound Gold-Disc' CD's (only my favourite albums mind). Whether you like DSD or not it's about choices, you chose to convert your Flac collection to Alac lets hope you didn't lose to much music-data during the conversion process (it's widely reported that this happens).

lastly, if all you wanted was a great player that can play all file formats, is wi-fi & Bluetooth compatible, has expandable SD-card memory, is a one-box solution and will sound a lot better than a iPod... why didn't you just buy a Walkman?

ps... if you costed your time as a 'Engineer' for all the hard diy work you put into converting your iPod, you could of probably bought a Hugo... worth a thought when it comes to 'full musical joy' for your ears. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #11,786 of 18,786
To each their own of course...
I’m very much enjoying DSD and hires FLAC with the mojo-poly combo driving Campfire Audio IEMs ... that’s why I got it in the first place.

Count me in as well. DSDs sound magical with Poly-Mojo to whatever I plug into them.
32 bit Vynil Rips are just as fantastic.
Mostly using Airplane mode for the best SQ.

Yes that toggle airplane mode bug workaround is annoying. Yes the cold Poly bootup takes minutes sometimes to startup. Yes the strict SD playlist creation is from medievil times.
Sound Quality makes it worth it for me though.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #11,787 of 18,786
That’s a nice conversion, I have an unconverted iPod here, I’d like to modify it at some point.
Is the sq comparable ?
To be honest I haven't volume-matched + A/B compared, but I'm under no impressions that it's going to be as great. It tends to audibly hiss with some IEMs (esp. Campfire Andromedas), but with my IEMatch that's effectively solved. It's never going to push hard-to-drive cans either - hence why I'm using it as a source with my iFi xCAN. And in this configuration it sounds pretty bloody great.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #11,788 of 18,786
To be honest I haven't volume-matched + A/B compared, but I'm under no impressions that it's going to be as great. It tends to audibly hiss with some IEMs (esp. Campfire Andromedas), but with my IEMatch that's effectively solved. It's never going to push hard-to-drive cans either - hence why I'm using it as a source with my iFi xCAN. And in this configuration it sounds pretty bloody great.
How much was the conversion?

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #11,789 of 18,786
Firstly, I feel obliged to point out that Mojo/Poly combo was designed to be used with a Smart-Phone.

where I can applaud you ingenuity & diy skills I fail to see the point you are trying to make... DSD is nothing new it's just the file format for SACD, I have few of those in my CD collection along with some even better sounding 'Mastersound Gold-Disc' CD's (only my favourite albums mind). Whether you like DSD or not it's about choices, you chose to convert your Flac collection to Alac lets hope you didn't lose to music-data during the conversion process (it's widely reported that this happens).

lastly, if all you wanted was a great player that can play all file formats, is wi-fi & Bluetooth compatible, has expandable SD-card memory, is a one-box solution and will sound a lot better than a iPod... why didn't you just buy a Walkman?

ps... if you costed your time as a 'Engineer' for all the hard diy work you put into converting your iPod, you could of probably bought a Hugo... worth a thought when it comes to 'full musical joy' for your ears. :wink:
Hey mate,

I know full-well the Poly is intended to be used with a Smart-phone - I bought the first one in Australia!

I'm not trying to say it's a better engineered, sounding, nor capable than the Poly. Quite the opposite. "The Point" I'm trying to make, is that all the engineering under the sun doesn't count for anything without a healthy dose of good design, and a product that's intended to make life, well, easier and more enjoyable.

I've had this old iPod collecting dust since I bought it 15 years ago, and it took all of 15 minutes to convert after spending less than $20 on aliexpress/eBay. The fact that it's a breeze and a joy to use from a user-interface point of view means that exploring your own music library is...fun! And it's easier to jump-into.

And as for the Hugo - I'm a firm believer in diminishing returns. I'd much rather take my iPod with my and the Mrs on a nice overseas beach holiday for that sort of coin ; )

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #11,790 of 18,786
How much was the conversion?
Practically nothing. You'll need:

1. A compact-flash CD SSD to Toshiba ipod 1.8 inch adapter
2. A microSD to CF adapter
3. Your choice of microSD storage

And that's it.

I changed the battery over while I was at it seeing as I was going to the trouble; next - erase the microSD and change to MSDOS/FAT, rip the old hard drive out of the iPod (carefully), plug everything else together, and plug into your computer/laptop running iTunes which will prompt you to "restore iPod" to factory settings. Do just that, and then off you go. Your old iPod might show the "plug into wall icon" - If so, plug it into a Qualcomm-enable quick-charger power-brick which will send more than a standard mobile-charger's 5-volts (closer to 12), and "voila".

Load tunes onto your iPod via the old drag-and-drop on iTunes. If you have a large FLAC, WAV or yes, .DSD library - convert it all to Apple Lossless (ALAC) and make sure it's at 16/44.1

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back