Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #11,746 of 18,780
Aaaaaand... An update.
mconnect kicks bubbleupnp's ass.
But it DOES NOT do gapless.
Pity.
Especially when you listen to This Mortal Coil or Dead Can Dance. Or Meshuggah. Or Grorr. Or whatever...
Still, this app sucks far less, then any other I tried.
Maybe in a year or two MojoPoly will finally become usable, who knows...

I prefer using mConnect to BubbleUPNP at the moment but, for me, it is far from perfect, but nothing that can't be sorted by the developer working on a few things
DSD playback
Gapless playback
Correct bitrate on Tidal palyback.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #11,747 of 18,780
Well, I agree that all can be sorted out - if Mojo could play gapless, MojoPoly should be capable of it as well.
But thos combo is on the market for... How long exactly?...
I am a very calm and forgiving person, so I still have it and sometimes use it, just to check whether it is usable yet or no. From user experience point of view, every crappy Chinese mp3 player is better. My phone is WAY better. All that I know that plays music us better than MojoPoly. Playing vinyls is easier and more predictable than using MojoPoly. And the strategy of Chord is a very interestong one. Imagine how car company would make with a beautiful car that you know very well has supercar's parameters, but is shipped to you with no cockpit, and the maker suggests you can easily use your smartphone to replace it...

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #11,751 of 18,780
Don't bite. :relaxed:

Apple apply design guidelines, which are good generic guidelines for any consumer product, including:
  • product should be intuitive to use (but you do need to define intuitive) - minimises the need for user manuals, faqs, forums, etc
  • the interface should enable users to navigate to information or a setting in 3 clicks maximum
  • owners should not need a computer science degree to use the software/product
  • etc
It is not easy to satisfy those guidelines, it takes effort/manhours/budget. Apple can afford that, but those guidelines are good for all hifi manufacturers to bear in mind.
Hugo has a dig at Apple owners, but he should step back and ask himself the question 'should owners need a computer science degree to use the software/product?'.
I believe not, which then places the emphasis on manufacturers to make their products as intuitive to use as possible.
It is not easy to achieve, but it is a worthwhile objective?
But it is not an excuse to insult Apple owners.
:slight_smile:
Everyone including us admires Apple products. A few years ago Apple with quite a flourish launched their closed system AirPlay modules. It seems only few of you seem to recognise just how more expansively capable Poly is than Apples best Audio efforts. Poly’s hardware is very advanced however it’s been placed into a vastly complex streaming landscape and is reliant on users choosing their own personal player option as they would always wish too in anycase however we have had to make it work with as many as possible So it has taken us some time and a considerable software effort to settle it in to this hellish arena. Few would realise that there are fifteen thousand different types of WiFi routers world wide and many of those have not been fully software updated in their own right and androids open software means there are many ways of driving all the different types of phone display. We are continuing to expand on Poly’s capabilities However some like to shout foul when it’s soon proven it’s just a misunderstanding of the way in which they wish to use Poly not an intrinsic fault of Poly. Yes they can use Poly in many simple use cases. To use Poly in more complex ways as you can with this device however it helps if they have some high level experience in streaming. Yes we could close down 90 percent of the use options but half the fun is trying everything in every way possible.

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #11,752 of 18,780
Well, I agree that all can be sorted out - if Mojo could play gapless, MojoPoly should be capable of it as well.
But thos combo is on the market for... How long exactly?...
it...
Not too sure I understand what you are saying in this line. Poly can play gapless it's the mConnect app that doesn't support it as far as I can see, no problems for example with gapless playback via M.A.L.P

unless I mis-read this line altogether

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #11,753 of 18,780
Hi @DavidW I had a chance to try this again and you can just use Poly in hotspot mode to create a local connection between your Roon core, Poly and your phone running Roon remote.
However it looks like your Poly hotspot must be secured with a password as Roon requires a secure connection for the remote to work. This is only needed if you want to use the Roon remote. Can you try and let me know if this works for you.

Matt,

I tried enabling the password twice. I did so by re-running the wizard (there may have been an easier way to do this). I created an 8-digit password. I then logged into the Poly first in network mode and was able to use Roon. I then switched to hotspot mode and the Poly relaunched. I then selected Roon and launched it, but Roon failed to connect. It is also Interesting to note that the Poly never required me to enter my newly created password. For an extra measure, I rebooted my iPhone and went back to the Poly in hotspot mode to see if I would be prompted for my password (outside of Roon), but I was not requested to enter it.

I then flipped back to network mode and Roon played fine.

Using Roon exclusively in network mode is not a big deal, but it is curious.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #11,755 of 18,780
Not too sure I understand what you are saying in this line. Poly can play gapless it's the mConnect app that doesn't support it as far as I can see,

That's what I wrote. mconnect DOES NOT do gapless. In spite of the option being available in the menu and whatsoever.
Still, thi is the best app for Poly I have come across so far.

I hope that no one, especially @Mojo ideas thought that I was having a dig at Chord!
The Poly hardware has proven very mature, only requiring one boot-up modification during the last 18 months. Numerous posters comment about the superior sound quality that Poly provides to the Mojo.
I have always believed in the Chord vision, that from a functionality point of view, it was better to place the user interface on a smartphone/tablet, because it is the easiest way to future proof the Poly from a UI point of view. I know that not all owners will agree with me, but that's life.

I totally do agreee! So where's the interface Chord is providing?
Except for the joke named GoFigure there's no UI app dedicated to Poly. There are some generic players - but NONE of them was built by Chord, for Poly. Maybe if they would do it, the app would not suck balls. I would LOVE to have a proper control app tailor made for Poly, that would let me control playback from SD using BT, and enable streaming. I am only 40-something, so I might see one before I die, but this should go live the same day Poly was launched.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #11,757 of 18,780
I'm sorry, but I son't buy it.
What I want is the device I can use to listen to my music.
I don't need to know HOW this is supposed to work. I'm a neurologist, not an engineer. I want to plug my cans and atart thw music. Currently I need to make sure that I have proper network access (I even carry mobile hotspot with me for that purpose), sometimes restart my phone once or twice, launch 1 of 3 or 4 apps, depending on what I want to listen to, and then pray for the playback to continue longer than 10 minutes. Sometimes it does, somwtimes it does not. I don't care if thw blame is on 3rd party or Chord. I bought the promise of flawless user experience. Which I did not get.
What most of companies sell nowadays is not the product itself. It's user experience. As much as I enjoy the sound of MojoPoly, I hate the process of obtaining it. And if Chord decided to loose control over UX for some reason, then they messed up bug time.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #11,758 of 18,780
Matt,

I tried enabling the password twice. I did so by re-running the wizard (there may have been an easier way to do this). I created an 8-digit password. I then logged into the Poly first in network mode and was able to use Roon. I then switched to hotspot mode and the Poly relaunched. I then selected Roon and launched it, but Roon failed to connect. It is also Interesting to note that the Poly never required me to enter my newly created password. For an extra measure, I rebooted my iPhone and went back to the Poly in hotspot mode to see if I would be prompted for my password (outside of Roon), but I was not requested to enter it.

I then flipped back to network mode and Roon played fine.

Using Roon exclusively in network mode is not a big deal, but it is curious.

Ok we will do some more investigation. For me it was just a case of putting Poly in hotspot mode, connecting my laptop to my Poly hotspot and opening Roon. I then connected my phone to my Poly hotspot and opened the Roon remote and after a few seconds the remote connected and was able to control my Roon core.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #11,759 of 18,780
I prefer using mConnect to BubbleUPNP at the moment but, for me, it is far from perfect, but nothing that can't be sorted by the developer working on a few things
DSD playback
Gapless playback
Correct bitrate on Tidal palyback.

Well hopefully I can help with some of this:-

DSD playback via DLNA is coming in the next update.
Here it is playing on MConnect:-

IMG_0206.PNG

Gapless playback is enabled in Poly already but again I am working on a compatibility fix with some player software that means this is now working on MConnect providing the option gapless to renderer is ticked.

Correct bitrate in Tidal is presumably to do with MQA playback. In order for MQA to play at the higher sample rate then MConnect will need to include an MQA software decoder. This will then transmit the correct sample rate to Poly and then into Mojo. The alternative is Qobuz which doesn't need the special MQA decoding and will play at rates up to 192KHz through Poly.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #11,760 of 18,780
Gr8h8m, it does not do TIDAL in the first place. This is my main source now. I have aome hi rea filws om the card, but for daily use I prefer streaming.

Ahhh ok I get it. Yes M.A.L.P is purely for playback of SD card files, which it does perfectly. Streaming services aren't its remit at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back