Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #7,411 of 18,785
I feel a need to comment on the anti non-owner sentiment currently running in the thread. Every piece of headfi gear I own I learned about and researched in these forums. I'd hate to see this thread become an exclusive owners only enclave. Headfi for me is about users helping other users and also helping people make a decision about a prospective purchase.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #7,412 of 18,785
Let me add that they have a right to say anything that forum rules and etiquette allow. Freedom of speech doesn't have a Poly ownership requirement. That said, nobody has to read what detractors say or even pay attention to it. Nobody has to like it. Nobody has to agree with them. Personally, I ignore it much as I ignore many off topic posts. I freely admit I make off topic posts too.

I think the reason this thread is in a holding pattern right now is that lots of Poly owners have been helped by the recent firmware updates and/or by Chord and this forum. Others have moved on. A few have sold their Polys. And we are all waiting for Apple to put GoFigure in the App Store. That will help a bunch of users be happier with Poly. My point being simply that people who own Poly have something to hope for, while those who have quit have nothing to look forward to that will make them feel better. We are hearing some of that frustration. The noise will abate with time.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #7,413 of 18,785
I totally agree that anybody should be able to wander into any thread and state an opinion/theory or whatever else as long as it's within the agreed boundaries of the forums. Some of the stuff posted in this thread towards both Chord and their staff and some Poly users has been quite unpleasant at times.
That works both ways. Chord, well let me say one person in particular has attacked some owners and future buyers as well. That didn't sit well with several owners and future buyers. I hope both positive and negative post about the poly continues because that allows potential buyers to make an informed decision.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #7,414 of 18,785
That works both ways. Chord, well let me say one person in particular has attacked some owners and future buyers as well. That didn't sit well with several owners and future buyers. I hope both positive and negative post about the poly continues because that allows potential buyers to make an informed decision.

Can't disagree with what you say about the Chord representive, bit like Boris Johnson as UK foreign Secretary!! I also agree that the thread or any thread for that matter should contain both positve and negative ponts but it should be based on somebody's own experience or similar and not just people assuming. There are people in here who have accused those of us with no issues as being liars who haven't even tried the Poly!!

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #7,415 of 18,785
I came close to returning Poly but now glad I hung on. The start up issue was a killer and that is resolved with the replacement unit. Glider gets better every day almost and @joe28 is a pleasure to deal with , it’s been fun to help troubleshoot issues via his beta.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #7,416 of 18,785
I think it’s problematic to release a product that’s directly interdependent upon an app to function as designed (in any case—not just in this instance). That decision has likely led to the discord on this forum...along with many MOJO owners feeling slightly duped about having to spend over the cost of the MOJO to gain the wireless functionality between the phone & MOJO (in the first place). There’s a user history here...stemming from the MOJO purchase. After using the cumbersome CCK wired connection...I wondered...why wasn’t wireless connectivity built into the MOJO at launch? The POLY announcement seemed like a corrective action (fix) or add on solution for what was lacking in the MOJO user experience IMHO. My intent is not to bash Chord...but anyone interested in the POLY device will likely have high expectations (above the MOJO user experience). So...it must yield a right first time user experience to avoid or reduce user complaints or potential POLY buyer concerns. You have to remember...anyone on this POLY forum is likely a MOJO owner...or on the fence about buying the add on POLY device to enhance their MOJO ownership/user experience. ‘Whining’ is a subjective term to me...& doesn’t fully capture the fall out stemming from the segmented development of the MOJO (which is an awesome device in & of itself). The POLY has overshadowed it in a negative way...particulary for those users that obviously had no foreseeable idea that these faults would follow an add on product pitched as an evolution & compatible compliment to the MOJO (app launch delay, hardware voluntary replacements, or the software/firmware updates to fix errors).

I can also share the owners or potential buyers uneasiness over some of the units being replaced after launch. There’s no published criteria to exact or standardize what constitutes the conditions for POLY replacement(?). To be balanced in my thoughts...Chord contacts have readily asked those experiencing hardware/software problems to contact their office directly...which is noble (& I have). They have also posted updates on the status of the app availability. However...I still understand & share the concerns of many here...albeit I have pause for those that haven’t contacted Chord directly for resolve. I have a Poly but still wonder if it should be replaced simply due to the cold start up delay, that I’ve experienced intermittently, along with other powering on/off problems, & the inconsistent battery life issues that one would not expect from a product @ this price range (700.00 USD). So...I’ve decided to ask for a replacement unit based on my own user experience. My ‘paranoia’ is founded in my user experience & the reality that some units were found faulty...giving consumers/owners the right to want a replacement device to ensure there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the purchased unit that they now have in hand (ruling out hardware fault). So...with that said I encourage others to contact Mitch if they think their device is defective or if they need help resolving issues that cannot be done through instruction from other forum users. Contacting Chord may also reduce the complaint traffic here...dependant upon Chord’s actions to resolve those issues of course. So far they’ve done the right thing in my case...leading up to my decision to request a replacement device. I have no reason to believe that they would not honor it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #7,418 of 18,785
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #7,420 of 18,785
Instantaneously..

Interesting. My replacement still takes 15-20 seconds before it will lock on to my wifi connection (and there’s definitely no issue with the strength of the signal where I am).

Any ideas what else it could be? I’m going to assume that the replacement unit I received isn’t defective again, although I am still getting drop outs....

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #7,421 of 18,785
On the topic of glider for a moment, maybe I'm the last one to realise this, but did you know, if you install some open source software called MinimServer (http://minimserver.com/) on your PC, then all the music thats on your PC can be streamed to poly via glider?

I only found this out yesterday, its very handy to get access to my music stash, as previously i had thought i'd need to load up my low capacity sd card. But when i'm in the house, i can actually stream all my music.

However on my network (i presume its because of my network), I couldn't get DSD files to stream at all, but flac worked fine.

So, with Glider, and some minim-server software, poly just got a lot more useful (to me) !

As a nas and mac user i am a big fan of minim server even over paid for services. Plus it plays folder view to album in track order. I use it for most of my streaming facilities.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #7,422 of 18,785
Interesting. My replacement still takes 15-20 seconds before it will lock on to my wifi connection (and there’s definitely no issue with the strength of the signal where I am).

My 2nd unit also powers within 15-20secs...
That’s considered normal behaviour

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #7,425 of 18,785
Using Glider (beta versions) and loving it. Like one poster said my Mojo never worked so hard.

I've never changed my Poly but the last firmware update seemed to sort a lot of problems out, Glider just gets better.

Half of my life is spent away from home so MacBook Air & SD card are the way to go for me. Now that the Mojo/Poly/Glider has landed (with PM3's) I've got a great system that isn't a poor substitute for whats at home. For the last 28 years I've been doing the same thing and as far as I can remember I've never had it so good. All of my music (1000's of CD's) with me and sounding really great (in fact better than I've heard them before). Mojo/Poly is small enough, not too small and I like the glowing balls.

It does sound excellent doesn't it?

One point I thought of whilst reading some recent posts:

So this is bleeding edge techno, whats wrong with us helping the manufacturer to give us better than we had before? If you beta test apps aren't you doing the same thing there? Ok, its taken ages but but for me using just the SD card, Poly already does everything I want - a bigger SD is what I want not so much GoFigure. There are some people out there doing stuff for us music lovers. Ok so they make money at the same time or have too much job satisfaction and fun doing it but imagine if no one did? I'd still be carting around 12 cassettes and a boom box.

Way to go Chord, all I can say is keep innovating, stay British built and I'll be buying more of your stuff even if I only use it for 6 months of the year.

Way to go Joe28, I've no idea who you are in the real world but you've been a top bloke and have always come right back to me with answers and additionally shared your knowledge which is refreshing. Your app is getting better & better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back