Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #2,941 of 18,802
I've been using my home made Raspberry Pi version a Poly type device for some time now, on Android the MALP app works well and does everything I need.

I'm also sticking with this for the moment, even in the UK @ 15% less than your price for Poly. I just can't justify the price, looking at stock levels on Amazon (around 1 per day sold as far as I can see) it would appear I'm not alone.

On the UI point I really want to be proven wrong.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #2,942 of 18,802
I've been using my home made Raspberry Pi version a Poly type device for some time now, on Android the MALP app works well and does everything I need.

I'm also sticking with this for the moment, even in the UK @ 15% less than your price for Poly. I just can't justify the price, looking at stock levels on Amazon (around 1 per day sold as far as I can see) it would appear I'm not alone.
Youre going to need to set up a site/blog and give us the details :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,944 of 18,802
I have a spare iphone that I'm using for my poly. I have it connected to poly hotspot and using Tidal in offline mode. I seem to be getting a lot of dropouts when the music playing.

Sometimes I have to have the phone right next to the poly in order for it work correctly. Anyone experienced this before?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,945 of 18,802
I have a spare iphone that I'm using for my poly. I have it connected to poly hotspot and using Tidal in offline mode. I seem to be getting a lot of dropouts when the music playing.

Sometimes I have to have the phone right next to the poly in order for it work correctly. Anyone experienced this before?

Yep same here, got my phone set up as a hotspot but it wont connect. WiFi connection cant be relied upon if i move more than 6 feet away from the access point. That's when using DLNA with 8player and Tidal online and offline. Emailed Mitch yesterday he was very helpful in helping me set up 8player properly but I've had no responses to the other issue. Making it unusable for me at the moment.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #2,946 of 18,802
On the UI point I really want to be proven wrong.
As Steven Oliver noted about using a raspberry Pie It’s always fun to mess about with prototype Electronics. I love doing this Myself always have! Of course it doesn’t matter that it’s rather ungainly comes on a collection of printed circuit boards or takes a little too much power to be running for a reasonable time on a small battery and doesn’t have to do half of what a proper product has to do and because it’s not being distributed and marketed world wide. It is indeed nice to play at these things however I do feel you are being unfair saying that Poly is expensive because you you put a few bits together and got it to work a bit. Also his implied suggestion re Amazon sales is also far from the actual truth Poly sales are through the roof and We are ecstatic the only concern is getting shipments out in time

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,948 of 18,802
As Steven Oliver noted about using a raspberry Pie It’s always fun to mess about with prototype Electronics. I love doing this Myself always have! Of course it doesn’t matter that it’s rather ungainly comes on a collection of printed circuit boards or takes a little too much power to be running for a reasonable time on a small battery and doesn’t have to do half of what a proper product has to do and because it’s not being distributed and marketed world wide. It is indeed nice to play at these things however I do feel you are being unfair saying that Poly is expensive because you you put a few bits together and got it to work a bit. Also his implied suggestion re Amazon sales is also far from the actual truth Poly sales are through the roof and We are ecstatic the only concern is getting shipments out in time

To be honest the only thing wrong with my little Pi in a box is the case is a little large and rushed, I should refine it a bit. I get seven hours battery life too which is fine for my use. We have debated the cost of Poly at some length John. I get that Poly contains top spec. components and there is a high software development cost too. For some the price is fine and for others like myself its not something I can justify I'm afraid.

I will be keenly monitoring the price though if it does ever drop to a level that I can say, "That Poly looks like really good value for what I can do" I will be the first in the queue to purchase mine.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,949 of 18,802
Well concerning the SBCs like a Pi as Poly alternative I can tell from my own experience that Poly is a different animal.

I did direct comparisons of Poly against an wireless Odroid C0 and an Ethernet connected Odroid C1+ running Volumio 2.166
I used the Odroids with OS on the Emmc, I used galvanic Isolation on the USB output and upgraded to a Curious Hugo Link....but it doesn’t come close to Poly in Sound quality and has some inherent flaws... most importantly you do get some clicks, rather few wit Redbook but more with High resolution files, when you use those SBCs

So the cost of my Frankenstein version of Poly is approaching the price of the real Deal, with all those upgrades....
and it can only do half as much half as well...if at all

Cheers

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,950 of 18,802
I use my Poly at home over the wifi system and it all works as advertised. The setup of poly was straightforward even without the app. The only fiddly bit was to configure my squeezebox server so that it could be streamed in Airplay mode. I most definitely prefer the wifi streaming over bluetooth, but that would not surprise anyone on this forum here.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,951 of 18,802
The reason why I did not ordered a Poly is because people are still struggling to use 3rd party applications and I can see on this forum how unhappy they are with such user experience. Some apps need even to be paid separately!

Poly it’s a nice hardware product, but on the software side is still to me an unfinished product.

Releasing a iOS application it does not takes months until approval. Chord Electronics has a iOS developer account for more than two years (they have other iOS apps into their store), it’s most probably that the iOS/Android application is unfinished, buggy or malfunctional. Or it’s not a priority right now.

It’s always better to have them clarifying this, rather than to see reactions of members which are putting the product on a pedestral.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,954 of 18,802
I don’t doubt that it will eventually prove to be a killer product. For me personally, I have sworn off shelling out big money to be a beta tester. I’ll wait for proof that it does what it’s supposed to do for my use case, namely give me the SQ I want, without butchering the iphone’s UI.

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,955 of 18,802
thanks to those of you who answered my question on Audirvana compatibility. are any of you playing SACD iso and cue files stored on the SD card? Will the files be able to play as individual tracks or will it just show up as one long track? what app do you currently use to play such files? i can't wait to eventually get the MojoPoly in my hands in mid November. hopefully the official app will be released by then and the Poly can really live up to its various functions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back