Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 22, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,771 of 18,774
I agree. IMO, Poly should have been an Android based player without a DAC (which is handled by Mojo). Engineering and upgrades much easier than creating full custom hardware and firmware. It would be able to do everything the Poly does and more — you'd be able to operate it both autonomously or remotely from a phone. It could also run Tidal/Spotify directly and solve the problem of offline content.

Seems like thats a category with plenty of players already. What about use at home? A wireless Roon end point? A room endpoint that you can move all around your house. Can't wait till they get out there and people start using them.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,772 of 18,774
could also run Tidal/Spotify directly and solve the problem of offline content.

That 'problem' is a licensing hurdle deliberately implemented by Tidal. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether a product is a DAP or a music server or anything else on planet earth. The fact that Onkyo or Pioneer or A&K or anyone else might decide to get into bed with Tidal has nothing special to do with producing DAPs.

So much misdirected criticism in relation to Tidal and MQA on these forums. 99% of the compatibility 'issues' discussed on these forums (e.g. Tidal, MQA, MFi, etc.) are only issues because they were deliberately implemented as proprietary hurdles by their self-serving originators, yet time and again I see third parties being blamed for not dancing to the same tune as those with self-serving agendas.

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,774 of 18,774
Seems like Ive been waiting ages for my Poly but I'm glad that the recent update to iOS 10.3.3 has finally fixed the connection issue and I can at least finally used my Mojo again! :)

Had some trouble lately with music pausing out of nowhere and the mojo not getting any input signal when connected on my phone... was that because of the previous IOS version then?

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,775 of 18,774
Had some trouble lately with music pausing out of nowhere and the mojo not getting any input signal when connected on my phone... was that because of the previous IOS version then?

Highly likely. Lots of users were experiencing issues for a good few months and well documented but does look like issue is now fixed.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #1,777 of 18,774
Searc
Can please list down some apps (both iOS and Android) which we could use to play songs in Poly SD card via control from smartphone?
I tried to search iTunes for Music Player Daemon but can't find it in iTunes (SG)

MPDluxe has been mentioned for iOS. I have Poly pre-ordered but haven't sourced any MPD apps yet.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #1,778 of 18,774
Playing Tidal Offline via the Tidal App is the best way. With an Android phone offline from the Android app will all be scaled to 192/48 24bit to Mojo but with iPhone you get the bit-perfect rate.

UAPP can steam Tidal online bit-perfect but not your offline files. I tend to use this when indoors using my higher end IEM's with my Mojo, then just use the Tidal App offline itself from my S8 headphone out while Out & About.

The Fiio X5III did a decent job of Tidal Offline and supposedly no upscaling.

PolyMojo. Not sure yet. If it can be seen as a wireless speaker over wifi then maybe Tidal app can send output to it but if over Bluetooth you would likely loose quality.

Best option at the moment for Tidal Offline if you can bare using iOS is an iPhone or iPod Touch with USB3 camera connection kit to Mojo* or maybe even using AirPlay to Poly.

*Assuming Apples have sorted the external DAC connection issues.
Get a second hand iPod Touch 5gen 64GB and it is locked at iOS 9.3.5 there are not issues with CCK and other cables connections to Mojo. As well it supports streaming through WIFI/Bluetooth and I use this feature with CCA (Chromecast Audio). The only drawback of this setup is not good whrn travelling, but far away cheaper than Poly

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #1,779 of 18,774
Searc

MPDluxe has been mentioned for iOS. I have Poly pre-ordered but haven't sourced any MPD apps yet.

Thanks for the info, I thought the SD card playback control can perform after connect smartphone to Poly via Bluetooth, but it seems it needs wifi connection instead, is it true? If yes, means when commute, will not be able to do this?

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,780 of 18,774
Thanks for the info, I thought the SD card playback control can perform after connect smartphone to Poly via Bluetooth, but it seems it needs wifi connection instead, is it true? If yes, means when commute, will not be able to do this?
Only Chord can provide the definitive answer to your question.
The Poly will not start shipping to the general public until the middle of next month, so no-one here has any hands on experience to pass on to you.
You could try asking your question via the Chord facebook page.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,781 of 18,774

A few pages ago it was said chord is making the own app that can allow Bluetooth control of the Sd card

Last page Mojo Ideas said
'...somewherealong in the development cycle we decided that it would be a good idea to have an Ap for Poly's configuration this was because we'd added many new features such as Poly actingas it's own WiFi hub for this to be possible we needed the Ap and therefore it was now possible to add a simple control overBluetooth for those few times where you can't use WiFi...'

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,782 of 18,774
A few pages ago it was said chord is making the own app that can allow Bluetooth control of the Sd card

Last page Mojo Ideas said
'...somewherealong in the development cycle we decided that it would be a good idea to have an Ap for Poly's configuration this was because we'd added many new features such as Poly actingas it's own WiFi hub for this to be possible we needed the Ap and therefore it was now possible to add a simple control overBluetooth for those few times where you can't use WiFi...'
I interpreted this to mean that the Chord app was just for the initial configuration, and that people would use a MPD for everyday control of Poly.
Perhaps @Mojo ideas can clarify if I have interpreted his post correctly.
I anticipate that next month, when Poly starts shipping, there will be many posts asking which app or MPD is recommended by forum members.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,783 of 18,774
I interpreted this to mean that the Chord app was just for the initial configuration, and that people would use a MPD for everyday control of Poly.
Perhaps @Mojo ideas can clarify if I have interpreted his post correctly.
I anticipate that next month, when Poly starts shipping, there will be many posts asking which app or MPD is recommended by forum members.
Oh hmm, I see why you take it that way, I am trying to remember if there was another post about a app before or if I just took it one way and you another.

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,784 of 18,774
Oh hmm, I see why you take it that way, I am trying to remember if there was another post about a app before or if I just took it one way and you another.
All the previous posts stated that there would be no Chord app, and that Poly owners would use any of the many available MPDs.
This strategy is easy to understand from an engineering perspective.
1 - If Chord create their own in-house MPD app, then they need to employ someone to create the app, then to manage the configuration management of the app, as it is inevitably updated to add new functionality. If this is not performed in-house, then Chord would need to employ external software consultants. Either way, this software development/maintenance cost will be passed on to people who buy the Poly.
2 - The alternative cheaper strategy, is to use the many existing MPDs, and there is no cost to Chord, and no cost to be passed onto buyers of Chord.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,785 of 18,774
All the previous posts stated that there would be no Chord app, and that Poly owners would use any of the many available MPDs.
This strategy is easy to understand from an engineering perspective.
1 - If Chord create their own in-house MPD app, then they need to employ someone to create the app, then to manage the configuration management of the app, as it is inevitably updated to add new functionality. If this is not performed in-house, then Chord would need to employ external software consultants. Either way, this software development/maintenance cost will be passed on to people who buy the Poly.
2 - The alternative cheaper strategy, is to use the many existing MPDs, and there is no cost to Chord, and no cost to be passed onto buyers of Chord.

Oh yes its definitely better for Chord to not have to.make a app for many reasons but I think I took the last part of my quote when referring to Bluetooth to mean what I said because @Mojo ideas did say
'I can confirm that by the time of our volume production expected shipping in August we are pleased to state that Poly's SD card will also be controllable via Blue tooth for use in applications where Wi Fi is not yet allowed such as some Asian airlines. We will have our own Ap for this control. Note any sample units shipped before this date will be automatically updated with this and other features aroundthis time when connected to the internet.'
Sorry took me a while to find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back