Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,684 of 18,896
Poly is a WiFi hotspot too so if you've paired to your phone it will remember Poly so there's no difficulties in using Wifi for SD control anywhere and linking is automatic

That still means dropping out data connection. I don't think android understands to use 4G/LTE for data when connected to wifi network that doesn't have internet access.

Edit: looks like that could be possible with root + super download app. But my phone is not rooted, and rooting will break few apps.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,685 of 18,896
"Poly communicates only via a 2.4GHz networks and has a maximum range of 10m."

Well, that's somewhat disappointing. you'd think to stream hi-res/FLAC audio it'd support 5GHz network band. The device I'll be using as the source/controller does.

Step 3 of section '07 Connecting via Wi-Fi' seems a bit odd. But I have no way of knowing until my Poly is in hand and I can give it a whirl myself. Nonetheless, after reading through this manual I'm starting to sense Pre-order Buyer's Remorse coming on.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,686 of 18,896

Well, that's somewhat disappointing. you'd think to stream hi-res/FLAC audio it'd support 5GHz network band. The device I'll be using as the source/controller does.

Step 3 of section '07 Connecting via Wi-Fi' seems a bit odd. But I have no way of knowing until my Poly is in hand and I can give it a whirl myself. Nonetheless, after reading through this manual I'm starting to sense Pre-order Buyer's Remorse coming on.
This has been discussed quite a lot before in this thread. The reason we opted for 2.4 GHz is simple, its range around and through objects walls and people is far better than that of 5GHz. I can't say what you find odd about setting up wifi in the manual but there is nothing odd about how it's done in practice. You'll have no remorse I'm sure when you see what can be done and how well it performs.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,687 of 18,896

2.4Ghz wifi goes upto 450Mbps or 600Mbps, that is over 10 times more than the bitrate of some fancy DSD file.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,688 of 18,896
This has been discussed quite a lot before in this thread. The reason we opted for 2.4 GHz is simple, its range around and through objects walls and people is far better than that of 5GHz. I can't say what you find odd about setting up wifi in the manual but there is nothing odd about how it's done in practice. You'll have no remorse I'm sure when you see what can be done and how well it performs.

"Open the Wi-Fi settings on any device and select Poly to connect to the unsecured Wi-Fi network. When connected, the P-status LED will then show a solid colour and battery status will now be indicated"
-from manual section 7, step 3

You are not connecting poly to anything, you are connecting phone to the accesspoint created by poly.
Ps it should have some standard password, instead of being open.
Edit: after reading few times it started to sound right, here "Poly" being the SSID of the accespoint. I think it needs quotation marks since its not referring to the Poly as a device.

also the instructions indicate that then you get to a settings page and need to connect to other wifi wifi network. witch means the poly isnt really usable in the state of its own accespoint? besides to get to accesspoint mode you need to always push the darn pin in the hole. So that would be a real pita to use.

I ques to have internet, and ability to control playback from mSDcard(in Poly) you have to have wifi hotspot active on the phone and have the poly connected to it. Using some kind of control interface trough Bluetooth would be better.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,689 of 18,896

Okay. I just have the "first prom" jitters.I look forward to my Poly arriving...eventually. :) Would also like to see some love for Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile one of these days too as far as apps go. :wink:

"Open the Wi-Fi settings on any device and select Poly to connect to the unsecured Wi-Fi network. When connected, the P-status LED will then show a solid colour and battery status will now be indicated"
-from manual section 7, step 3

You are not connecting poly to anything, you are connecting phone to the accesspoint created by poly.
Ps it should have some standard password, instead of being open.
Edit: after reading few times it started to sound right, here "Poly" being the SSID of the accespoint. I think it needs quotation marks since its not referring to the Poly as a device.

also the instructions indicate that then you get to a settings page and need to connect to other wifi wifi network. witch means the poly isnt really usable in the state of its own accespoint? besides to get to accesspoint mode you need to always push the darn pin in the hole. So that would be a real pita to use.

I ques to have internet, and ability to control playback from mSDcard(in Poly) you have to have wifi hotspot active on the phone and have the poly connected to it. Using some kind of control interface trough Bluetooth would be better.

Yes, it's the wording in that step that throws me off. Mentioning "unsecured network" and thinking "Poly" was the actual device sounded a bit strange in my mind. As John stated I'm sure all will be apparent and transparent once I get the Poly and work through the steps outlayed in the manual.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #1,690 of 18,896
That still means dropping out data connection. I don't think android understands to use 4G/LTE for data when connected to wifi network that doesn't have internet access.

Edit: looks like that could be possible with root + super download app. But my phone is not rooted, and rooting will break few apps.
You can use the hotspot built into most Android phones. This enables WiFi to control Poly but retains the 3G/4G/LTE for data as well. This means you can still use online streaming services such as Tidal / Spotify but send the audio to Poly instead.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,691 of 18,896
1. A)Is Poly is unable to receive playback controls via bluetooth if playing music from its MicroSD card? The manual seems to indicate otherwise.
B)If so, what technical challenges prevented this feature from making it in to the final product?

2. Is there any way to control the MicroSD Playback remotely from an iPhone without losing Cellular Data connectivity or suffering the battery drain associated with Mobile Hotspot? While "Wifi Assist" can supposedly switch to cellular in conditions of poor Wifi, this is in fact an extremely unreliable feature especially (but not exclusively) during VOIP calls. I'm contractually obligated to be available for after hours oncall (which may arrive via VOIP or Cellular) so I kindly ask for a definitive answer.

I find the Mojo to be a fantastic product and was hoping the Poly would complement it enough that I could ditch my current pocket setup, hopefully that is still the case.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,695 of 18,896
The manual does not indicate what @Mojo ideas John said Poly being able to act as its own wifi hotspot.
The way I interpret the manual is that Poly's own WiFi hotspot has no other purpose than to configure Poly's external WiFi connections.

First activate Poly's WiFi hotspot ("Access Point mode"), and connect to it from a phone. On the phone, launch the web browser and open a webpage residing on the Poly. This webpage will let you enter SSID and password of WiFi networks. When you are done, Poly will reboot and try to connect to one of the configured WiFi networks.

The way I read it, the Poly's own WiFi hotspot is not used for any music playback functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back