Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,591 of 18,764
hey there @ZeDuK,

Don't underestimate the convinience factor
wink.gif

The possibility to controle your Mojo via smartphone on the go, free from wired connection, is a huge improvement.

Cheers

Hi audi0nick128,
It's not that I underestimate the contribution of a full wireless mode, just that I do not perceive the USB connection as a problem, even if the Camera Kit knows some problems of cut.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,592 of 18,764
yeah for myself the cabled connection is not a big issue, but I think we will only know, how much of an improvement the headless operation is, after we tried it.

I think once I experienced it I won't like to go cable again.

Since you mentioned the Camera Kit... Imagine updating to new IOS without the fear of losing connectivity to Mojo :wink:

May 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,593 of 18,764
So...what's the latest news on actual release/ship date of the long-anticipated Poly? This month? June? "When It's Ready(tm)"?

I pre-ordered in early 2017 and know there's been some delays along the way.

May 2, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #1,595 of 18,764
I was tempted with this even though I only need and only will use the WiFi connection to stream Tidal wirelessly. All the rest of the features are useless to me. So it's a very expensive wireless receiver. Except that it's not, it needs wireless hotspot enabled. 50% of my usage is weekly commuter flight where I need to be in flight mode. This disables wireless hotspot and kills this device. I can have WiFi on but no hotspot in flight mode. Poly needs to be a hotspot itself or its useless. Seems like a huge oversight.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,596 of 18,764
First of all thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. All 107 pages are such a fun read!

As we get closer to the release date I get more excited about Poly and will surely give it a try mainly because of the miniSD card related functionalities.

The idea about such a product is indeed brilliant and kudos to John for not just coming up with it but also for managing to materialise it in a scale-able way.

However, I cannot stop myself from having a weird feeling that certain stuff could have been handled differently and potentially a lot better.

No, I do not refer to the retail price... Imo Poly was a golden opportunity for Chord to create a market killer really. A product so powerful and agile that could instantly overtake the market regardless of price and make obsolete other similar products or even mobiles>16Gb.
I just wish Chord had used all the fantastic ideas shared by people either on this thread or on others in a much more proactive way ahead of the prototype's development and incorporate the majority of them somehow into the design.

Stuff like:
- Capability to install locally Tidal/Spotify on Poly so that SDcard can be used as offline storage
- Alternative ways to control Poly mSDcard without the need to set up personal hotspot
- 5 GHz wifi enabled
- Bluetooth 5
- Maybe SD instead of mini
- many more....

Does that mean that Poly is simply an ok product? Absolutely not, I still think it is a great step towards the right direction but somehow I cannot stop thinking about Poly 2 already (or that firmware update that magically solves everything!)

May 3, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,597 of 18,764
- Capability to install locally Tidal/Spotify on Poly so that SDcard can be used as offline storage

I really do not think people understand how Tidal and Spotify work and their licenses with the Music labels. There will never be the possibility, on any platform - be it iOS or Android and any future one - to store music on an external storage platform.

The way these services/app works is that the app constantly checks your subscription status each time they are run. If your subscription is paid up to date - they work. If not - good luck.

For Poly to implement this it would have to morph into a full fledge operating system

May 4, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #1,600 of 18,764
I really do not think people understand how Tidal and Spotify work and their licenses with the Music labels. There will never be the possibility, on any platform - be it iOS or Android and any future one - to store music on an external storage platform.

The way these services/app works is that the app constantly checks your subscription status each time they are run. If your subscription is paid up to date - they work. If not - good luck.

For Poly to implement this it would have to morph into a full fledge operating system

Well that last sentence was exactly what I meant in the first place. As rkw pointed out, that would have been indeed the optimal way in order to offer most (if not all) functionalities mentioned in this thread so far.

May 4, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,601 of 18,764
True at Poly's price point being able to playback offline Tidal content would be the kind of expectation I would have. This is a top-end device and even if it meant Poly running a basic android OS to be able install Tidal from the play store (all behind the scenes) would have been amazing.

However I think people underestimate how useful it will be not having to carry a stack or fumble around with cables connecting your phone to mojo...I for one am very excited someone finally has the solution.

May 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,602 of 18,764

Newbie question with regards to Tidal offline music: Would it not have been sufficient to have a permanently Chord installed memory that cannot be removed?

May 4, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,603 of 18,764
Not to be rude however read my post again. Poly would have to have a full fledged operating system which is capable of running APPS i.e. a Tidal app or a Spotify app. Whether or not it has memory has no relevance. Tidal - Spotify etc. write their own apps which function how they design them to run. Both apps phone back to a central server and confirm that ones monthly subscription is active and paid up. Only then does the APP allow for the downloading and storage of music.

Try and take out a one month subscription via the APP and download some music. Then cancel your subscription. Guess what - at the end of the month your downloaded music will no longer play.

Poly does not have an operating system like iOS or Android. Thus it cannot run these apps. No app=no music from Tidal or Spotify

May 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,604 of 18,764
Poly does not have an operating system like iOS or Android. Thus it cannot run these apps. No app=no music from Tidal or Spotify

This raises an interesting question: I understand that Poly doesn't seem to have a full OS like Android or iOS, but it has to have some kind of OS to hand the WiFi and Bluetooth Networking, and to run MPD, which is the program I understand the Poly uses to organize and play the music on the microSD card on the Mojo. So I assume the Poly uses some flavor of Linux--I'm curious to know what that is, and whether it could be adapted to do other things, like run Spotify or Tidal directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back