Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,576 of 19,049
Wow this is the add-on I have been looking for ...

but then I saw the price. £499 ? I can't believe it. I am out too.
new to the thread I guess I'm assuming because you possibly haven't read much about Poly, It is not a simple add on product! depite it's deminutive size it is a very advanced product far more capable that most streamers and servers costing thousands. With an advanced multi core processor running some of the most advanced software on the planet it's a player a server DLNA streamer a WiFi hub that casts all your information to your phone as a controller it plays Dnla and can connect with airplay and google cast its bi directional you can cast from it or to it and it does all this no delays! There is no time lag and it doesn't just run for a couple of hours either it plays for over nine hours. To achieve this it cannot be done with low a low technology approach, the Technology within apply Poly is far beyond the norm of this audio industry. Poly features a ten layer circuit board with amazingly tight tolerancing well past what would be expected in audio equipment. It's the sort of tech that might only be used in the most critical avionics applications. But if you want to buy something less expensive go ahead by all means but what ever you might consider it won't be able to do what Poly can do.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,578 of 19,049
  John, (or anyone who could answer me)

Does the Poly support the iPod Touch, the 6th gen (latest) where it is expected to use AirPlay over wifi, since it does not have LTE/3G capabilities? Is this going to work outside where I won't have my home or office wifi available?

Thanks in advance.

I also use an iPod Touch with Mojo and believe from what John has stated previously that it is supported in playing files stored on the Poly or files stored on the iTouch when you have a WiFi connection. 

As you stated, the one area where it may not support is on-the-go where WiFi is not available.  There may not be a way to transfer music files from the iTouch to the Poly since the iTouch cannot establish its own hotspot and the Poly, from the last I heard, would not have the ability to create one.  This means that when you are outside you would need to play files stored on the Poly SD card. 

I think John said that this could possibly be a future upgrade, but I would be interested to know how it would potentially effect the battery life of the Poly.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,579 of 19,049

I also use an iPod Touch with Mojo and believe from what John has stated previously that it is supported in playing files stored on the Poly or files stored on the iTouch when you have a WiFi connection. 

As you stated, the one area where it may not support is on-the-go where WiFi is not available.  There may not be a way to transfer music files from the iTouch to the Poly since the iTouch cannot establish its own hotspot and the Poly, from the last I heard, would not have the ability to create one.  This means that when you are outside you would need to play files stored on the Poly SD card. 

I think John said that this could possibly be a future upgrade, but I would be interested to know how it would potentially effect the battery life of the Poly.

Thanks for your reply. This will be a bummer since one of the major use (for me at least anyway) is to enjoy the unit/combo outside with the best quality sans the kludge of cables connecting the player and the Mojo. I know of course the SD card is going to be a great help in eliminating all this, but this brings another set of problems, such as now having to manage two separate libraries (one on my computer's iTunes, one on the SD card) and complicates the workflow everytime I add music, and an extra app on my smart phone to control playback. Now what if my carrier's 3G/LTE plan does not allow wifi hotspot?

Bluetooth is just a sub-optimal option.

It seems the best solution is simply for the Poly to create its own wireless network, then have an app on your smart devices to further fine tune and customize it. Many wireless harddrives use this method and I can't see how Poly's way would work any better.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,581 of 19,049

It won't significantly affect Poly's playing time

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #1,582 of 19,049
I think I will be making the final decision after I have a look at the App, I'm really interested in the Poly, but the app better have a very good layout and GUI, and it must be responsive. I'm hoping its available soon on the App Store so we can check it out before we purchase the Poly. As for the 3G/4G issue, I think it'll be fairly easy using a mobile hotspot. I usually use a mobile hotspot to steam content on to my Chromecast (without any other external wifi device) so I don't see how poly would be any different. Poly as a product, Really makes a lot of sense for me, Instead of stacking devices together and ending up with a bulky difficult to carry combo(which I am using currently), or Going for a DAP which won't sound as good as the mojo (Fiio X5iii) I'd rather get the Poly and retain the sound signature and detail of the mojo.

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,583 of 19,049
I think I will be making the final decision after I have a look at the App, I'm really interested in the Poly, but the app better have a very good layout and GUI, and it must be responsive. I'm hoping its available soon on the App Store so we can check it out before we purchase the Poly. As for the 3G/4G issue, I think it'll be fairly easy using a mobile hotspot. I usually use a mobile hotspot to steam content on to my Chromecast (without any other external wifi device) so I don't see how poly would be any different. Poly as a product, Really makes a lot of sense for me, Instead of stacking devices together and ending up with a bulky difficult to carry combo(which I am using currently), or Going for a DAP which won't sound as good as the mojo (Fiio X5iii) I'd rather get the Poly and retain the sound signature and detail of the mojo.
The point about Poly is that it will run with virtually any current ap that your familiar with! if you like 8player, like we do, you can use that. If you want to use Airplay use that Poly is smart and transparent

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #1,584 of 19,049
The point about Poly is that it will run with virtually any current ap that your familiar with! if you like 8player, like we do, you can use that. If you want to use Airplay use that Poly is smart and transparent

Oh, I Did not know that, I was under the impression that you guys were going to release an app for it, This is even better. I'll look into the instructional videos about how to play the files on the MircoSD inside the Poly using a 3rd party app. maybe it has something with DLNA and all, This is beyond me, LOL. As long as it works....

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,586 of 19,049
Just to be sure : the Poly needs a smartphone to work, like the Mojo in fact.
It brings up wireless function but may be I missed something ?

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,587 of 19,049
Just to be sure : the Poly needs a smartphone to work, like the Mojo in fact.
It brings up wireless function but may be I missed something ?
Yes Poly had been designed to work with phones and pads the idea is that you can now access the music you like from where ever your phone the unlimited on board SD card or your home or office network attached storage. Everyone has a phone or a pad in their hands these days do now you can have an ap or two and use your phone to control your music and view any music info at the same time.
Now we at Chord have had a careful look at some of the most recent postings and we' agree with you guys that even with all of the seven videos and all the other addition information that we've posted so far that there are still a few in answered questions.
so I hope this will answer these

Ok Matt my fellow chord Director has taken a quick look.
Youtube and video playback seems fine to us.

There are no lipsync issues using AirPlay.

The iPod Touch if used with out a phone would be a problem as it does not have the ability to setup it's own WiFi hotspot.

However I would guess most people would also carry a mobile phone with them so if they
have the option they can setup a WiFi hotspot on their phone to connect iPod and Poly.
And play music stored on your IPod via poly through Mojo together. It will not use any cellular data in this mode unless you browse the internet or
use a streaming service.
Music can be streamed from the iPod to Poly using Airplay once the hotspot is running on the phone. Though I would assume that you'd in time be using the Poly with its SD alone.

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,588 of 19,049
Thank you for your reply.
If I understand correctly, Poly can replace the USB connection between smartphone and Mojo.
For iDevices users, this allows you to retrieve a function for local playback of files from a microSD card.
For an Android user who already has a microSD slot, I am more circumspect about the input of the Poly, except wireless operation.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,589 of 19,049
hey there ZeDuK,

Don't underestimate the convinience factor :wink:

The possibility to controle your Mojo via smartphone on the go, free from wired connection, is a huge improvement.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back