Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,456 of 19,047

I did not say, airplay will not work without networks. I said, it may not be Airplay P2P (2.4 GHz), it might be using Airplay Direct (Bluetooth).
When on hotspot mode, have you tried to airplay with bluetooth turned-off?

https://chambersdaily.com/bradleychambers/2014/9/19/technical-details-of-peer-to-peer-airplay

What the article said is about peer to peer airplay, but I don't think airplay by personal hotspot should be count as p2p airplay.
Some examples that can be found on google mentioned using personal hotspot to airplay. I found one using iphone 4s(no 5 GHz) streaming video(exceed bandwidth of bluetooth) to apple tv.
It should be streaming by personal hotspot with 2.4 GHz.

Yes, information about Airplay is very thin. Also, the examples you mentioned are Airplay to Apple TV. I don't think it works the same way for airplay enabled devices.

Libratone had two lines of their airplay devices - Wifi/Bluetooth and Wifi/PlayDirect. Wifi/PlayDirect devices did the routing function, to cirucmvent the apple restriction, when using iphone's hotspot function.
http://support.libratone.com/hc/en-us/articles/206802525-PlayDirect-and-internet-access-simultanously

I believe poly falls under the Wifi/Bluetooth category, since it can't do routing function. Hope chord can post a video or photo with iphone streaming to poly on hotspot mode and bluetooth disabled.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,457 of 19,047
Yes, information about Airplay is very thin. Also, the examples you mentioned are Airplay to Apple TV. I don't think it works the same way for airplay enabled devices.

Libratone had two lines of their airplay devices - Wifi/Bluetooth and Wifi/PlayDirect. Wifi/PlayDirect devices did the routing function, to cirucmvent the apple restriction, when using iphone's hotspot function.
http://support.libratone.com/hc/en-us/articles/206802525-PlayDirect-and-internet-access-simultanously

I believe poly falls under the Wifi/Bluetooth category, since it can't do routing function. Hope chord can post a video or photo with iphone streaming to poly on hotspot mode and bluetooth disabled.

Yes we can confirm that Airplay will work via a hotspot with Bluetooth disabled. Please see the images below.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,460 of 19,047
Here is my Raspberry Pi MPD, Roon etc server device, I'm posting this here just for reference and won't post any additional details here to avoid going off topic in this thread.

It works very well, thanks to Chord for the idea. Now I just need to fit the parts in the smallest case I can. Time to get the 3D printer warmed up.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,461 of 19,047
  "Fun". Configuring Linux via a SSH shell, you obviously have a different idea of what fun is John. :)

I am with John - that is fun. On a side note - I was at beginning not entirely convinced by Poly, but now I am. Why? I am running 3 of my 5 systems with embedded Linux (more precisely voyage) with MPD and they are incredibly robust. One of the systems is up over a year and had never a hick-up...
And yes - you have to set them up via ssh...

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,462 of 19,047
Here is my Raspberry Pi MPD, Roon etc server device, I'm posting this here just for reference and won't post any additional details here to avoid going off topic in this thread.

It works very well, thanks to Chord for the idea. Now I just need to fit the parts in the smallest case I can. Time to get the 3D printer warmed up.

Yes that looks a nice project but with that battery just how long, honestly, does it play for

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,463 of 19,047
Yes that looks a nice project but with that battery just how long, honestly, does it play for

My Brother has done a similar thing ages ago (see mojo threat / search for "rumina") and it indeed works. The issues IMHO are

a) You need to be quite literate with Linux et al
b) You need to have a battery which is big enough
c) Create a nice housing is far from trivial

So from my point of view - I think Poly is a nice alternative to AK240 et al, or also in my case for the MPD-Voyage thingies. (http://voyage.hk)

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,468 of 19,047

I think the Libratone does not have an interface for you to command it joining a specific wifi, so they implement router mode.
Poly does have the router mode at first, they decided to take it away, reasons i'm guessing...
1. Personal hotspot could do the trick
2. Power consuming issue on the Poly side
3. Airplay direct connect and using 3G for internet simultaneously needs manual setup, like the Libratone's instruction, it's not convenient.

BUT, personal hotspot route instead of Poly router mode could be troublesome when on an airplane, we can't turn on personal hotspot when airplane mode enabled.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #1,469 of 19,047

Yes we can confirm that Airplay will work via a hotspot with Bluetooth disabled. Please see the images below.

Thanks for the confirmation, John.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #1,470 of 19,047

I think the Libratone does not have an interface for you to command it joining a specific wifi, so they implement router mode.
Poly does have the router mode at first, they decided to take it away, reasons i'm guessing...
1. Personal hotspot could do the trick
2. Power consuming issue on the Poly side
3. Airplay direct connect and using 3G for internet simultaneously needs manual setup, like the Libratone's instruction, it's not convenient.

BUT, personal hotspot route instead of Poly router mode could be troublesome when on an airplane, we can't turn on personal hotspot when airplane mode enabled.

OT -
Libratone is just like many of those Wireless HDs. You use an APP to configure the SSID of the network you want it to connect to.
Libratone has also converged their line. They don't have the Play Direct line anymore. Looks like Apple has lifted the restriction in newer updates, eliminating the need for it. 
/OT

Apologies everyone, for boring you all with Airplay stuff.Glad iPhones are good to go with Poly on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back