Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,021 of 18,772
Hi there,

I have two questions concerning the Poly:

1. Will there be a SQ loss, streaming via bluetooth (compared to the "cable Mojo")? There must be one, right? Because basically it is the same as streaming from a bluetooth device to a bluetooth headphone - and there is an audible loss in quality from my experience?

2. Will it be possible to use Airplay on the go, without having a Wifi close by? In other words, the phone, for example, creates its own WLAN and connects to the Mojo?

Thanx for some answers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,022 of 18,772
  Hi there,

1. Will there be a SQ loss, streaming via bluetooth (compared to the "cable Mojo")? There must be one, right? Because basically it is the same as streaming from a bluetooth device to a bluetooth headphone - and there is an audible loss in quality from my experience?

2. Will it be possible to use Airplay on the go, without having a Wifi close by? In other words, the phone, for example, creates its own WLAN and connects to the Mojo?

Thanx for some answers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

1. With aptX enabled device, there will be very few losses in CD quality, which is not easy to notice.

2. Yes, its the Poly acts as a hub, and your phone connects to it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,023 of 18,772
Hi there,

Thanx for some answers! :)

1. Bluetooth to a bluetooth headphone uses the crap DAC/amp built in to the headphone to process the audio. Streaming file information to the Poly uses the Mojo to process the sound. Big difference.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,024 of 18,772
Hi there,

Thanx for some answers! :)
Bluetooth is not a perfect system but it's every where so we included it. Bluetooth with Aptx is better so that's all android products and some Apple laptops but not their phones for some odd reason.
Re AirPlay yes you can do as you suggest with Poly it's completely on the go.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #1,025 of 18,772
Bluetooth is not a perfect system but it's every where so we included it. Bluetooth with Aptx is better so that's all android products and some Apple laptops but not their phones for some odd reason.
Re AirPlay yes you can do as you suggest with Poly it's completely on the go.

Thanks a lot for your replies! So for using the Poly on the go, an iOS (and not Android) device would be the best, right? Because (even AptX is not on iDevices) Air Play should out perform Bluetooth?

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,026 of 18,772
  1. With aptX enabled device, there will be very few losses in CD quality, which is not easy to notice.

2. Yes, its the Poly acts as a hub, and your phone connects to it.

Thanks! :) 

My own personal experience with aptX is: All aptX headphones I owned (not many though), for sure sounded worse than using them with cable - unfortunately.
And with bluetooth headsets and mini speakers I owned, aptX did not necessarily sound "better" than regular bluetooth. Just different. But of course that depends on the device itself I guess.
That is why I am really wondering about the bluetooth sound quality of the Poly - and what Chord have done to get the best possible quality here...

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,027 of 18,772
1. Bluetooth to a bluetooth headphone uses the crap DAC/amp built in to the headphone to process the audio. Streaming file information to the Poly uses the Mojo to process the sound. Big difference.

Thanks! Right....so do you think the DAC in bluetooth headphones is a lot worse than in phones, for example? Because I found the difference in quality quite noticeably, listening to the same (AptX) bluetooth headphones with cable straight out of my phone...it was definitely a lot better. Even though AptX on paper should not be much worse....

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,028 of 18,772
Thanks! :) 

My own personal experience with aptX is: All aptX headphones I owned (not many though), for sure sounded worse than using them with cable - unfortunately.
And with bluetooth headsets and mini speakers I owned, aptX did not necessarily sound "better" than regular bluetooth. Just different. But of course that depends on the device itself I guess.
That is why I am really wondering about the bluetooth sound quality of the Poly - and what Chord have done to get the best possible quality here...

The Poly simply receives a Bluetooth signal of the digital music file that it then sends to the Mojo to convert to an analogue signal. You wouldn't be using Bluetooth headphones with the Mojo/Poly you would still use wired headphones.

Right! So do you think the DAC in bluetooth headphones is a lot worse than in phones, for example? Because I found the difference in quality quite noticeably, listening the same (AptX) bluetooth headphones with cable straight out of my phone...it was definitely a lot better. Even though AptX on paper should not be much worse....

It depends on the Bluetooth headphone compared to the smartphone. Either way the Mojo/Poly would be more capable than either.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,029 of 18,772
The Poly simply receives a Bluetooth signal of the digital music file that it then sends to the Mojo to convert to an analogue signal. You wouldn't be using Bluetooth headphones with the Mojo/Poly you would still use wired headphones.
It depends on the Bluetooth headphone compared to the smartphone. Either way the Mojo/Poly would be more capable than either.

Hi! Yep, of course I understood that I will use wired headphones with the Poly.
The big question for me is just: Is the bottle neck/limiting factor for a wireless device more the reduced bluetooth data or the DAC inside of this device.
Or in other words:
How close can the wireless quality of the Mojo/Poly be compared to the wired Mojo? Will the wireless SQ of the Poly still be better than just plugging my earphones (currently IE800s, UM Macbeths and SD2s) straight into my iphone (without Mojo)? Is it worth to spend a lot of extra bucks for the Mojo/Poly combination just in terms of SQ for in ear headphones?
I definitely think my wired Mojo makes my iPhone sound better and I love the sound (even though I think the difference is not huge, because the iPhone is a good sounding device,too), but I am wondering if it will stay like this using the wireless Poly....
Generally, I love the Poly concept, because stacking with mobile devices really is not my cup of tea....

Thanks anyway! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,030 of 18,772

Hi! Yep, of course I understood that I will use wired headphones with the Poly.
The big question for me is just: Is the bottle neck/limiting factor for a wireless device more the reduced bluetooth data or the DAC inside of this device.
Or in other words:
How close can the wireless quality of the Mojo/Poly be compared to the wired Mojo? Will the wireless SQ of the Poly still be better than just plugging my earphones (currently IE800s, UM Macbeths and SD2s) straight into my iphone (without Mojo)? Is it worth to spend a lot of extra bucks for the Mojo/Poly combination just in terms of SQ for in ear headphones?
I definitely think my wired Mojo makes my iPhone sound better and I love the sound (even though I think the difference is not huge, because the iPhone is a good sounding device,too), but I am wondering if it will stay like this using the wireless Poly....
Generally, I love the Poly concept, because stacking with mobile devices really is not my cup of tea....

Thanks anyway! 
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a DAC in the Mojo, but no DAC in the Poly - the Poly is a streamer.
So you will always experience the Mojo sound quality through wired headphones. The only limitation will be the quality of the file that you feed to the Mojo.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,032 of 18,772

Thanks a lot for your replies! So for using the Poly on the go, an iOS (and not Android) device would be the best, right? Because (even AptX is not on iDevices) Air Play should out perform Bluetooth?

Yes, AirPlay should perform better than Bluetooth. Be aware that AirPlay is limited to 24/48K sample rate.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #1,034 of 18,772
  Judes review?????????

Sorry, the Chord Poly just arrived. In the next couple of days, we'll record a segment for the CanJam New York Preview Video that includes the Mojo/Poly.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,035 of 18,772
Sorry, the Chord Poly just arrived. In the next couple of days, we'll record a segment for the CanJam New York Preview Video that includes the Mojo/Poly.

Sounds like a plan. Thx for the prompt reply :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back