Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #271 of 18,755
I'm the guy who slapped together a Raspberry Pi with a battery, some SD cards, and a touchscreen with a Mojo in a 3D Printed case. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/810520/portable-all-in-one-dap-with-chord-mojo)

As I have said before, from the moment I saw and heard the Mojo, I believed that it would be possible to (and I truly hoped that Chord itself would) create a truly revolutionary digital audio player for a reasonable price based on the Mojo. While I was waiting, I spent a lot of time using off-the-shelf components to make a rough version of such a DAP--sort of my own version of creating the first mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins, to more or less quote Mr. Spock.

I personally was disappointed that Chord opted to make an add-on that only provided for a single micro-SD card storage and did not have an integrated touch screen. In my wildest imagination, I hoped, although I did not expect, that Chord would design a DAP that basically took the guts of something like the Poly, combined them with the guts of the Mojo, and put them in a single box with a touchscreen and powered by a single battery. I say I didn't expect that because Chord has always said they were developing an addon for the Mojo, and the unit I just described would have meant that current Mojo owners would have had to either disassemble their Mojos to install its board in the new DAP, or buy the equivalent of a new Mojo with the added features. Since my wildest hopes were pretty much out of the question, for this go-round at least, my next wish was a unit that could attach to the Mojo like the Poly, but which included a screen and significant storage.

As I say, I was disappointed that Chord didn't do that either. But, we don't always get what we want, back to the drawing board. I really didn't want to get involved in this fray because I am one of those who greatly admire what Chord has done with the Mojo--they basically put a first-class DAC out for what passes in the bizarro audiophile world as peanuts (I must stress--only by comparison to other DAC prices--$500 is still $500.) And I also recognize that while the Poly may not be what I was looking for, it might be a better fit for others, so who am I to complain.

And that would have been the end of it for me but for two things: the price, and more to the point, the hostile reaction by John Franks to what I thought have been generally well-reasoned, intelligent, and polite questions and comments to questions about the price, especially as that price related to the costs of design, parts, and functionality.

Now, I have absolutely no experience professionally in any of the areas of expertise that go into making a product like this--so Mr. Franks can, if he chooses, dismiss this post as he has with many others by saying I don't understand or know what actually went into making the Poly. (As I side note, I refer to Mr. Franks personally, rather than Chord, because all the comments to date about the Poly have been by Mr. Franks, and, to my knowledge, Rob Watts did not have anything to do with the Poly. That being the case, I don't want anything I say here to be construed as being directed to Rob personally.) However, beyond my general beliefs that what the customer thinks about the design or functionality of a product is relevant to a discussion of that product, and that the burden of explaining why a product was made the way it was and is offered for the price asked lies with the manufacturer, not the consumer, I do have some slight first-hand experience with actually putting together the very thing the Poly is supposed to be, which might make any thoughts I have on the subject of interest to some here.

Several months ago, I put together the following to make what turned out to be my version of a Poly:

Raspberry Pi 3 Mainboard stripped of all ports
Adafruit 2500 mAh battery
Adafruit Powerboost 1000c
3 Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Readers
3 SD to Micro SD FPC Extenders
200GB Sandisk MicroSD card (OS + Music)
Adafruit Switch
Chord Mojo
3D printed plastic enclosure

The total size was 125 x 98.2 x 26 mm and it weighed 318 grams. I could interface with the unit via WiFi with a phone, iPad, or PC; I could play music from up to 3 full-size SD cards and/or a micro-SD card, or stream music wirelessly from a NAS or Spotify.

I later made a stand-alone DAP--I added an Adafruit 2.8" Capacitive Screen 2423 and a 5300 mAh battery, which resulted in a unit 125 x 98.2 x 34 mm and weighing 410g.

Now I am not saying that either of these is superior to the Poly--far, far from it. But, at the time I made them, I thought that it demonstrated, at least to my limited understanding, that if a crude and hardly up to audiophile standards device could be put together with cheap parts, then what would Chord be able to do?

And Chord did indeed address several of the weaknesses of my devices. First and foremost, the well-designed, sturdy aluminum case. Second, instead of using an off-the-shelf PCB like the Raspberry Pi, they developed one with just the functionality they thought was necessary, leaving out all the things that the Raspberry Pi included that wasn't necessary for what Chord had in mind--i.e., the extra USB ports, an HDMI port; screen interfaces, etc. I am also sure that the battery Chord uses is far superior to my batteries and will have far more longevity. Further, I wasn't interested in Tidal, so my unit can't stream it directly. However, while I may be wrong, getting Tidal to work is more a matter of working out an arrangement with Tidal to get their application or whatever they need to access their service included in the software functionality of the unit. I don't have access to that functionality, but I assume that from a technical point of view, adding that functionality doesn't require much work--certainly no extra hardware is involved. Finally, the connection between the Poly and the Chord is probably better than mine, although I have seen a similar3D printed design made by another amateur; frankly, I am a bit concerned that the connection between the Poly and the Mojo might be susceptible to stress.

Now these are worthy improvements, but does the aluminum case, a good LiPo battery, and Tidal support alone account for the vast discrepancy between the cost of the parts I used and the price of the Poly?

We have been told that the Poly is "more than a Raspberry Pi". But I must ask, just exactly what does it do that a Raspberry Pi can't do. A Raspberry Pi 3 has WiFi; can be connected to the Mojo via USB; with free software, can handle a music collection either on board or via streaming and is compatible with DLNA; and can be controlled via a phone, iPad or PC. In addition, it has a LAN socket, so that to the extent that the Poly is meant to act as a general all-purpose streaming device in place of a PC or Mac, the Pi can have leg up on the Poly (I actually cut out the LAN port because I didn't plan to use my unit as a desktop device). Also, it has 3 USB ports, in addition to the USB port used to connect the Mojo. With appropriate adapters and wiring, these ports can be used for full-size SD cards, meaning that it can handle up to 1.5 TB of storage, in addition to the micro-SD card slot already on the Pi.

Mr. Franks has attempted, in part, to justify the cost of the Poly by saying essentially that it exceeds anything else out there and it is a bargain at its price. My reaction to that is, from my own experience, I don't see anything in the Poly that couldn't be put together relatively inexpensively using common parts. Every device has 2.4 ghz WiFi; Bluetooth is also ubiquitous, and the one thing the Poly might have been able to do that I can't do with a Raspberry Pi is wirelessly connect to headphones; DLNA support is widespread, if not widely used or understood; there is nothing unique about micro-USB storage; and using MPD (a protocol that has been used for years; indeed, the software I used was also based on MPD) as the basis for the storage software indicates quite plainly that Chord has not developed any new applications or software in connection with the Poly. In fact, the Poly lacks a number of things that are almost equally commonplace, albeit at an increased cost: for example, dual band 2.4/5 ghz WiFi or new flash storage-types. Yes it is Roon ready and can stream Tidal, but as I've said before, that is more of a software licensing thing than a design issue.

There are also some things about the Poly that raise other questions that I don't think have been adequately addressed. For example, Chord says that the Poly has room for a micro-SD card, providing "Unlimited maximum capacity". Nowhere have I heard that micro-SD cards have an unlimited maximum capacity. I have heard that they have a theoretical 2TB maximum capacity, but the largest one available today is 256 GB.

Except for the on board micro-SD storage, all other music played by the Poly/Mojo combo must be sent wirelessly from the source. I personally have found that wireless streaming can be problematic--it can drop out, even with the best systems, if you move to some locations. Further, some might argue that wireless streaming may degrade the sound quality of the music when compared to either a wired LAN connection or onboard storage. I hope Chord will address these issues directly.

Finally, I hope that Chord will explain what exactly it believes there is about the Poly, be it components, design, software, functionality, whatever, that is truly new and justifies what I believe to be an excessive price. With all due respect to Jude, I really want to know what Chord has to say on these issues. Frankly, and this is my opinion based on what I know about computer components and the like, all Audio brand-made computer streaming solutions are way overpriced in comparison to simple PC or Android interfaces that can be purchased for significantly less. Again, it is my opinion that many audio component manufacturers take advantage of some audio consumers, who either lack knowledge or don't have the inclination to deal with computer and software-related issues, to sell them what are in fact relatively inexpensive components with less than stellar specs in a fancy case for a highly inflated price. Yes, in comparison to these devices, the Poly is a bargain. But in my opinion, those streamers and all-in-ones with hefty price tags are way over priced, and I guess I hoped that Chord would not play that game.

In any event, I personally would pay quite a bit for a full fledged, single unit Mojo-DAP with all the capabilities of the Poly, but also with significant on board storage and a touchscreen interface.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #272 of 18,755

Hi, do you know if the Poly allows a phone to control the volume or does it still have to be controlled from the mojo (when phone connected to USB)? thx!

Everything is still the same. The volume is still control by the Mojo. Your Mojo is still work like before and adding the Poly give you some extra functions such as wireless capability (no micro usb between phone), one slot micro SD, Wi-Fi, BT.... Eliminate micro usb between my Mojo and phone is enough to justify the price tag of $600, and everything else is just ice on the cake to me. I love the Mojo and never part from it. The Poly improved a product that was already great in my book.

$600 is tough for some folks especially it got nothing to do with improving the sound, which is the top priority that we're all after right. If one loved the Mojo and the wallet permitted, I don't see why not, imo :).

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #273 of 18,755
  $600 is tough for some folks especially it got nothing to do with improving the sound, which is the top priority that we're all after right. If one loved the Mojo and the wallet permitted, I don't see why not, imo :).

$600 sounds like a starting audiophile's wet dream, and what Rob Watts himself called - listening with your wallet. So it might be just what some want?

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #276 of 18,755
I'm the guy who slapped together a Raspberry Pi with a battery, some SD cards, and a touchscreen with a Mojo in a 3D Printed case. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/810520/portable-all-in-one-dap-with-chord-mojo)

As I have said before, from the moment I saw and heard the Mojo, I believed that it would be possible to (and I truly hoped that Chord itself would) create a truly revolutionary digital audio player for a reasonable price based on the Mojo. While I was waiting, I spent a lot of time using off-the-shelf components to make a rough version of such a DAP--sort of my own version of creating the first mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins, to more or less quote Mr. Spock.

I personally was disappointed that Chord opted to make an add-on that only provided for a single micro-SD card storage and did not have an integrated touch screen. In my wildest imagination, I hoped, although I did not expect, that Chord would design a DAP that basically took the guts of something like the Poly, combined them with the guts of the Mojo, and put them in a single box with a touchscreen and powered by a single battery. I say I didn't expect that because Chord has always said they were developing an addon for the Mojo, and the unit I just described would have meant that current Mojo owners would have had to either disassemble their Mojos to install its board in the new DAP, or buy the equivalent of a new Mojo with the added features. Since my wildest hopes were pretty much out of the question, for this go-round at least, my next wish was a unit that could attach to the Mojo like the Poly, but which included a screen and significant storage.

As I say, I was disappointed that Chord didn't do that either. But, we don't always get what we want, back to the drawing board. I really didn't want to get involved in this fray because I am one of those who greatly admire what Chord has done with the Mojo--they basically put a first-class DAC out for what passes in the bizarro audiophile world as peanuts (I must stress--only by comparison to other DAC prices--$500 is still $500.) And I also recognize that while the Poly may not be what I was looking for, it might be a better fit for others, so who am I to complain.

And that would have been the end of it for me but for two things: the price, and more to the point, the hostile reaction by John Franks to what I thought have been generally well-reasoned, intelligent, and polite questions and comments to questions about the price, especially as that price related to the costs of design, parts, and functionality.

Now, I have absolutely no experience professionally in any of the areas of expertise that go into making a product like this--so Mr. Franks can, if he chooses, dismiss this post as he has with many others by saying I don't understand or know what actually went into making the Poly. (As I side note, I refer to Mr. Franks personally, rather than Chord, because all the comments to date about the Poly have been by Mr. Franks, and, to my knowledge, Rob Watts did not have anything to do with the Poly. That being the case, I don't want anything I say here to be construed as being directed to Rob personally.) However, beyond my general beliefs that what the customer thinks about the design or functionality of a product is relevant to a discussion of that product, and that the burden of explaining why a product was made the way it was and is offered for the price asked lies with the manufacturer, not the consumer, I do have some slight first-hand experience with actually putting together the very thing the Poly is supposed to be, which might make any thoughts I have on the subject of interest to some here.

Several months ago, I put together the following to make what turned out to be my version of a Poly:

Raspberry Pi 3 Mainboard stripped of all ports
Adafruit 2500 mAh battery
Adafruit Powerboost 1000c
3 Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Readers
3 SD to Micro SD FPC Extenders
200GB Sandisk MicroSD card (OS + Music)
Adafruit Switch
Chord Mojo
3D printed plastic enclosure

The total size was 125 x 98.2 x 26 mm and it weighed 318 grams. I could interface with the unit via WiFi with a phone, iPad, or PC; I could play music from up to 3 full-size SD cards and/or a micro-SD card, or stream music wirelessly from a NAS or Spotify.

I later made a stand-alone DAP--I added an Adafruit 2.8" Capacitive Screen 2423 and a 5300 mAh battery, which resulted in a unit 125 x 98.2 x 34 mm and weighing 410g.

Now I am not saying that either of these is superior to the Poly--far, far from it. But, at the time I made them, I thought that it demonstrated, at least to my limited understanding, that if a crude and hardly up to audiophile standards device could be put together with cheap parts, then what would Chord be able to do?

And Chord did indeed address several of the weaknesses of my devices. First and foremost, the well-designed, sturdy aluminum case. Second, instead of using an off-the-shelf PCB like the Raspberry Pi, they developed one with just the functionality they thought was necessary, leaving out all the things that the Raspberry Pi included that wasn't necessary for what Chord had in mind--i.e., the extra USB ports, an HDMI port; screen interfaces, etc. I am also sure that the battery Chord uses is far superior to my batteries and will have far more longevity. Further, I wasn't interested in Tidal, so my unit can't stream it directly. However, while I may be wrong, getting Tidal to work is more a matter of working out an arrangement with Tidal to get their application or whatever they need to access their service included in the software functionality of the unit. I don't have access to that functionality, but I assume that from a technical point of view, adding that functionality doesn't require much work--certainly no extra hardware is involved. Finally, the connection between the Poly and the Chord is probably better than mine, although I have seen a similar3D printed design made by another amateur; frankly, I am a bit concerned that the connection between the Poly and the Mojo might be susceptible to stress.

Now these are worthy improvements, but does the aluminum case, a good LiPo battery, and Tidal support alone account for the vast discrepancy between the cost of the parts I used and the price of the Poly?

We have been told that the Poly is "more than a Raspberry Pi". But I must ask, just exactly what does it do that a Raspberry Pi can't do. A Raspberry Pi 3 has WiFi; can be connected to the Mojo via USB; with free software, can handle a music collection either on board or via streaming and is compatible with DLNA; and can be controlled via a phone, iPad or PC. In addition, it has a LAN socket, so that to the extent that the Poly is meant to act as a general all-purpose streaming device in place of a PC or Mac, the Pi can have leg up on the Poly (I actually cut out the LAN port because I didn't plan to use my unit as a desktop device). Also, it has 3 USB ports, in addition to the USB port used to connect the Mojo. With appropriate adapters and wiring, these ports can be used for full-size SD cards, meaning that it can handle up to 1.5 TB of storage, in addition to the micro-SD card slot already on the Pi.

Mr. Franks has attempted, in part, to justify the cost of the Poly by saying essentially that it exceeds anything else out there and it is a bargain at its price. My reaction to that is, from my own experience, I don't see anything in the Poly that couldn't be put together relatively inexpensively using common parts. Every device has 2.4 ghz WiFi; Bluetooth is also ubiquitous, and the one thing the Poly might have been able to do that I can't do with a Raspberry Pi is wirelessly connect to headphones; DLNA support is widespread, if not widely used or understood; there is nothing unique about micro-USB storage; and using MPD (a protocol that has been used for years; indeed, the software I used was also based on MPD) as the basis for the storage software indicates quite plainly that Chord has not developed any new applications or software in connection with the Poly. In fact, the Poly lacks a number of things that are almost equally commonplace, albeit at an increased cost: for example, dual band 2.4/5 ghz WiFi or new flash storage-types. Yes it is Roon ready and can stream Tidal, but as I've said before, that is more of a software licensing thing than a design issue.

There are also some things about the Poly that raise other questions that I don't think have been adequately addressed. For example, Chord says that the Poly has room for a micro-SD card, providing "Unlimited maximum capacity". Nowhere have I heard that micro-SD cards have an unlimited maximum capacity. I have heard that they have a theoretical 2TB maximum capacity, but the largest one available today is 256 GB.

Except for the on board micro-SD storage, all other music played by the Poly/Mojo combo must be sent wirelessly from the source. I personally have found that wireless streaming can be problematic--it can drop out, even with the best systems, if you move to some locations. Further, some might argue that wireless streaming may degrade the sound quality of the music when compared to either a wired LAN connection or onboard storage. I hope Chord will address these issues directly.

Finally, I hope that Chord will explain what exactly it believes there is about the Poly, be it components, design, software, functionality, whatever, that is truly new and justifies what I believe to be an excessive price. With all due respect to Jude, I really want to know what Chord has to say on these issues. Frankly, and this is my opinion based on what I know about computer components and the like, all Audio brand-made computer streaming solutions are way overpriced in comparison to simple PC or Android interfaces that can be purchased for significantly less. Again, it is my opinion that many audio component manufacturers take advantage of some audio consumers, who either lack knowledge or don't have the inclination to deal with computer and software-related issues, to sell them what are in fact relatively inexpensive components with less than stellar specs in a fancy case for a highly inflated price. Yes, in comparison to these devices, the Poly is a bargain. But in my opinion, those streamers and all-in-ones with hefty price tags are way over priced, and I guess I hoped that Chord would not play that game.

In any event, I personally would pay quite a bit for a full fledged, single unit Mojo-DAP with all the capabilities of the Poly, but also with significant on board storage and a touchscreen interface.
Thank you for your insights and opinions, we value every Mojo user's and electronics enthusiasts thoughts.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #277 of 18,755
And a 600$ loss

Not Only 600$, add the price of Mojo and the phone it could easily be 2K of potential damage. It's easy to drop things like weights or people stepping over stuff accidentally. Even a threadmill is not a safe place for an expensive gadget. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #278 of 18,755
Lol, I can only imagine what you actually do in the Gym lugging Mojo+Poly a phone and and earphone.

And a 600$ loss

Not Only 600$, add the price of Mojo and the phone it could easily be 2K of potential damage. It's easy to drop things like weights or people stepping over stuff accidentally. Even a threadmill is not a safe place for an expensive gadget. 

Around here I noticed that for a lot of people, "going to the gym" means standing around and taking a bunch of selfies to send to their friends.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #279 of 18,755
I like the idea/concept around Poly, but the cost just doesn't make sense.  Mojo + Poly = Quality all in one DAP with much more functionality.

First off, I don't see how this will be a successful product given the price.  (That said, audiophiles like to spend money on $$$$ magic cables....)  I'm a business owner and have to work through product management activities all the time in developing new capabilities. We have lots of great ideas, but it's a balancing act to determine if a new product/feature is viable given the value we can provide to the customer based on our cost (r&d, marketing, support, etc.) and margin.  I've had to shelve many great ideas because by the time we delivered to the customer, it's a lot of "motion" for little return.  If this product truly has to be priced at ~600-700USD to hit margins, unit cost, recoup R&D, etc., then it should have stayed as an idea.

This isn't much different than a RAVPower FileHub Plus (for hardware components) which provides a 2.4GHZ Wifi hub, SD USB Card Reader, DLNA support, AND a battery charger.  That product is $39.99 for the TOTL from the company.   It's missing the processor, but that doesn't add significant cost.  

I just don't see this product as being a huge success given the price.  I just purchased my Chord Mojo and will give stacking my phone a chance, but if that doesn't work, I'll just sell the Mojo, move to a traditional DAP, and call it a day.

I really like the idea of the Poly+Mojo, but meh..

Also:  I do agree having physical buttons was a miss.  It's nice to have basic play/pause, forward/backward, etc. so you can perform basic music changing once you're situated on a playlist/album/artist.  If I'm doing other things on my phone, I don't want to have to fumble around the apps to perform some basic command.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #280 of 18,755
Well after reading the last 60 posts from when I was asleep I see that only about 3-5 of them advance the ball down the field and the rest are just pointless back and forth. Guys guess what? The price is what it is. You can debate all you want about the cost of chipsets, labor, materials but at the end of the day you do realize you are on a head-fi / electronics forum right? Do you think $1500 worth of parts and labor go into the HD800s? If memory serves me correct the parts cost for additional storage on the iPhone is dollars for additional memory yet Apple tiers it at $100 differential. Heck the iPhone as a whole in parts cost less than half what apple charges the customer.

End the price discussion. The price is set. If market forces dictate a change.m then the price will change. The debate here will not precipiate that change and just provides noise in this thread.

Exactly man! Any company won't drop the price because of few people complain, well about price. Either you buy or you don't. If the product isn't sell good for whatever reason, the price will drop by itself, and no need to ask or complain about it. I saw the $4,000 silver cable for a headphone yesterday at CES. A kilo of silver is around $500. You do the math and some people still buying it. The buyer of this cable never complain and the nonbuyer of this cable saw the price tag and drop dead already before any complain. So why complaining now? Are you going to buy or not? It doesn't matter. I'll complain now and I think about buying later or not. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #282 of 18,755
i didn't I said you were not aware of all the facts

Listen, brother. It's quoted in my post... at least stand behind what you said.

This is a cool project. Those Raspberry Pis are neat, I've seen people use them to make mini retro arcade game cabinets.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #283 of 18,755
@Tumyum According to John you can control the volume with your phone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-add-on-microsd-and-advanced-wireless-module-for-mojo/240#post_13151548

Nope, I tried the Mojo with Poly at the show and I could NOT bypass the Mojo and just use my phone to increase the volume to any level I like. I love the idea of having the Mojo+Poly, put in my pocket, and forget about it. Just me and my phone like the old day! The Poly cannot just let me bypass the Mojo and control everything with my phone, including increase the volume on the Mojo. It made sense that by do this, the color marbles volume will change and I don't see how the Poly could do this. I hope I'm wrong and I love the idea, I did try but no luck.

John from Chord, are you sure??? You can control the volume with your phone and no need manually press the color marbles to increase the volume? Please clarify because I tried but no success but you said it could, I'm hoping that I'm wrong here.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #285 of 18,755
I'm hoping you're wrong as well... That's all I really need for me to purchase the Poly. Without volume control, it really doesn't work for my needs. I'm praying we can eq with it as well... @Mojo ideas any feedback here please?

Yeah you can EQ, but the low frequencies options are block (only happen to you bro). But you can EQ the high tho'. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back