Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #287 of 18,821
@Tumyum According to John you can control the volume with your phone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-add-on-microsd-and-advanced-wireless-module-for-mojo/240#post_13151548

Could this be relevant for Android devices by any chance?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/735-audiophile-switches-ios-android/

When a device, such as a USB DAC, is connected to any host, in this case a Google Pixel phone, a process called enumeration takes place between the host (Pixel) and peripheral (USB DAC). According to Google's own documentation, enumeration is, "The process of detecting which peripherals are connected to the bus, and querying their properties..." In layman's terms this is a conversation between the phone and DAC, that enables the phone to determine the capabilities of the DAC. A standard enumeration would identify for the host, what sample rates the DAC supports, its power requirements, and the DAC's default and maximum volume levels (if the DAC has volume control).

Enumerating the volume level is where many Android phones don't follow the agreed upon standards. Keep in mind that some Android device manufacturers and third party app developers have solved this issue. Google, as the creator of the operating system, has elected to not solve the problem. In this specific case, when the DragonFly Red is connected to the Google Pixel phone, the DragonFly tells the Pixel that its default volume is 41. The DragonFly Red has a 64 step digital volume control that defaults to step 41, so as not to ruin ears or equipment when it's initially connected. In its infinite wisdom, Android reads this default volume setting as the DragonFly's maximum volume. Thus, there's no going over step 41 out of 64 when turning up the volume.

Digging deeper into this issue, reveals a larger issue. When Android adjusts the volume of the DragonFly or any other USB DAC, it's doing so in software, not the DAC's built-in hardware volume control. You can see that the Pixel adjusts its volume from say 0% to 100%, but this is only working between step 0 and 41 in the DragonFly Red USB DC. First we have Android's inability to distinguish between a default volume and maximum volume upon enumeration, then we have Android's inability to operate a hardware volume control on a USB DAC. Both of these fairly simple and very standard items have been done for many years in OS X / macOS, Windows, Linux, and iOS. Android uses the extremely popular Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) that is used by nearly every Linux-based audio device you and I have ever used. But, Google has elected to remove many capabilities in its version called tinyalsa. I can see sliming-down software to work on a phone, but stripping out what many consider essential was a frustrating move by Google.

As part of my research I contacted Google about this and another issue I'll discuss next. I received a fairly fast response and inquiry asking for additional information to pass along to the correct team member(s). I laid out the details of what was happening with lack of hardware volume control and the strange default / maximum volume issue. I received the following one sentence response, "We currently do not support enumeration and control of external volume controllers but we're continuing to extend our USB Audio support in future versions of Android."

My interest in using a official Google phone, with the official Android OS, has taken a serious hit. It's my understanding that a limited number of non-Google phones have heavily modified versions of Android than enable hardware volume control. However, most phone manufacturers don't enable hardware volume control.

It's entirely possible that AudioQuest could release a firmware update to set the default DragonFly Red volume to step 64 (maximum), but that opens another can of worms. AQ would be compensating for a shortcoming of Google, by introducing something it doesn't see as a best practice. given that Android has a 69% share of the mobile phone market, followed by 26% iOS, 2% Windows, and 2% Java, AudioQuest's hand may be forced by Google's lack of interest in making its operating system meet the standards that every other major OS has met for many years.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #288 of 18,821
Nope, I tried the Mojo with Poly at the show and I could NOT bypass the Mojo and just use my phone to increase the volume to any level I like. I love the idea of having the Mojo+Poly, put in my pocket, and forget about it. Just me and my phone like the old day! The Poly cannot just let me bypass the Mojo and control everything with my phone, including increase the volume on the Mojo. It made sense that by do this, the color marbles volume will change and I don't see how the Poly could do this. I hope I'm wrong and I love the idea, I did try but no luck.

John from Chord, are you sure??? You can control the volume with your phone and no need manually press the color marbles to increase the volume? Please clarify because I tried but no success but you said it could, I'm hoping that I'm wrong here.
yes I'm absolutely sure you can have a volume control on your phone but it is of course dependant on the player ap

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #289 of 18,821
yes I'm absolutely sure you can have a volume control on your phone but it is of course dependant on the player ap

Have you been using the mojopoly on your travels to Vegas? If so perhaps you could give us some examples on how you have been using it for example during flight and at the hotel you are using.
Thanks

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #290 of 18,821
Simple, turn off airplane mode. Problem solved.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #291 of 18,821
Hi everyone, I bought two weeks ago my Mojo. I’m more than happy with this purchase. I never thought it could sound that good. As I had decided to make this purchase I was fully aware of all the rumors regarding of an SD module for the Mojo.

My using profiles are the following:
Office: iPad mini2 / Tidal HiFi (offline content)
Home: MacBook Air / Audirvana (just testing Roon) / Tidal HiFi / FLAC library / Vinyl Rips

So with the rumors of a SD module in my mind I thought about how a perfect upcoming module should be designed by Chord to fulfill all my needs.

As if Chord could have read my thoughts they presented the perfect add-on (at least for me). Let me explain my reasons of thinking so.

This gadget gives me in the office the flexibility of using all my favorite sources in one place. I can stream my Tidal offline content and I can play as well my FLAC library and my Vinyl rips from Micro SD card. And no need to use cables anymore. Best is, I can control this with my iPhone / iPad with a well made and smooth UI. 
I purchased a lot of DAP’s in the past. And one of the most boring things were the badly made UI’s with lacks of elementary functions (i.e. gapless playback, etc.)
And in my home environment Mojo / Poly is then part of my home multi room system (Roon). 
So it fits all my needs perfectly. 

I do understand all the people complaining of the price for this gadget. 500£ is indeed a lot of money. But I do see in this way.
Poly can help me saving a lot of money in the future. Mojo gives me the best sound experiences of all my gadgets. It’s a long time ago, that I had the feeling the music touches me, in my heart, in my soul. Mojo gives me this feeling and I discover all my music from new again.
Together with Poly Mojo becomes the perfect device for me with perfect sound. All my plans of, for example purchasing Fiio X5 3rd gen or iDSD micro BL, are canceled. From my point of view there is no other portable device in the price range of 1000£ that gives me that flexibility combined with that exceptional sound experience.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #292 of 18,821
  Most fitness clubs, spin classes and weight rooms I've been to in past ten years have demographic under forty and therefore means members with less arterial plauque, less wear on joints. Socializing and acceptance within peer groups seems as important as actual exercise at this stage of life. After forty drop-off in fitness club memberships is big. Swimming has wide demographic as water provides buoyancy against gravity making exercise much easier on older joints. Unscientific observation is many American adults would rather watch activity (professional/college sports) than participate in exercise. Take-out food should be an infrequent treat and not a lifestyle diet. Thinking Atlanta, GA would lose five percent plus of state revenue if watching sports and buying takeout food were removed :)

There's been a  movement of over 50 doing resistance training of some form, including free weights.  The pool is often crowded with over 50 and over 60 people.  Many go from weights to the pool, with reduced stress on the joints.  I see more retired guys who are physically strong than I did years ago.  

I use the mojo on the treadmill, and then have a struggle when I move to weights.  Poly is going to make it a bit easier.  It is frustrating using bands to connect iPhone/mojo and then band it to the arm.  I reply on pocket more, with a longer ear phone cable.   It is tricky.  

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #293 of 18,821
So I've read through all the posts & clearly there are a wide range of views from very positive to very negative.

However, the one missing piece of information that informs the debate is how the Poly actually sounds. That's what I will base any decision on.

Mr Franks, how have you tested the sound and what have you compared it against? It's worked for the Hugo (v1) and Mojo so I'd be interested to know how you've approached tailoring / proving the sound?

The other obvious question is whether this marks Chord's entry into DAP like devices, though clearly this may be contingent on how the Poly sells / is received

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #294 of 18,821
Mojo ideas

Not everyone has the communication's skills of Mr Rob Watts.
Sincerely, I do believe Poly's thread is missing more detailed infornation from your company.
Whatever are my thoughts on Poly I/we need to be convinced as we have been used with Mojo,Dave...I admit it is not an easy task for different reasons.
Whishibg you success.
Respectfully.

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #296 of 18,821
The Poly is not available to purchase yet is it? I cannot find it online in the UK.

I cannot find the Poly for sale online anywhere.
I can see the Hugo2 online at Audio Sanctuary, but nowhere else.

It is as if CES 2017 has bypassed the attention of the HiFi trade. Maybe dealers will wake up in March, when volume production starts. 
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #297 of 18,821

I cannot find the Poly for sale online anywhere.
I can see the Hugo2 online at Audio Sanctuary, but nowhere else.

It is as if CES 2017 has bypassed the attention of the HiFi trade. Maybe dealers will wake up in March, when volume production starts. 
confused.gif

It's here:

http://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-poly-bluetooth-wifi-sd-card-adapter.html?utm_source=Audio+Sanctuary&utm_campaign=37e5eaa3e9-Audio+Sanctuary+New+Products+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4a7a2a2231-37e5eaa3e9-332072829&mc_cid=37e5eaa3e9&mc_eid=7f5fd27675

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #299 of 18,821
  It's here:

http://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-poly-bluetooth-wifi-sd-card-adapter.html?utm_source=Audio+Sanctuary&utm_campaign=37e5eaa3e9-Audio+Sanctuary+New+Products+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4a7a2a2231-37e5eaa3e9-332072829&mc_cid=37e5eaa3e9&mc_eid=7f5fd27675

Well spotted 
normal_smile .gif

Get your order in at the start of the queue  
smily_headphones1.gif

@Soundizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back