Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #13,802 of 18,777
... I hear it rather often, and I know others do too. Going into airplane mode has seemed to get rid of it for some (but then you are limited to quickplay through go figure, which is... Not a full featured player in any sense) or I have found that an iematch seems to eliminate the noise. But that's another dongle to buy and carry around and I know some have concerns that it may alter the sound in a negative way (I haven't found that it does though).

That iEMatch may alter the sound is one concern. The other concern is whether making the noise less audible (by using iEMatch or a less sensitive pair of IEMs/headphones) will indeed eliminate that issue completely or just reduce it to an acceptable level. Since the Poly is playing from the SD card anyway I prefer to eliminate the issue, instead of reducing it with the hope that it is reduced to an unadible level. No wifi, no noise. I am pretty happy with MojoPoly's sound quality in Airplane mode.

To my surprise I also prefer QuickPlay to other MPD players:
  • QuickPlay continues the current playlist exactly where it left off. This is amazing! (Only Glider came close to this but it always lost the position in the track if MojoPoly was turned off which was unfortunate with the many long tracks I have.)
  • If connection to Poly was broken QuickPlay tells me, and I can get back in a few taps. Some players tried but could not reconnect and I had to manually kill them. Other players forgot Poly or fell back to the phone's speaker (see next point). It was so frustrating to swipe and tap around for minutes until the damn thing started playing music. QuickPlay on the other hand works reliably.
  • QuickPlay doesn't try to sync the phone's volume with Mojo's volume. Other players insist on this (I cannot turn it off) which is unnecessary and leads to issues (see next point).
  • QuickPlay never sent music at full volume to the mobile phone's speaker, emberassing me in front of the office or fellow passengers. Most other players did it.
Of course I cannot browse, search, see album covers, and cannot even see the album title, and the whole app feels like an internal Chord test app, but playback control is reliable and with wifi off the sound quality is superb.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #13,803 of 18,777
That iEMatch may alter the sound is one concern. The other concern is whether making the noise less audible (by using iEMatch or a less sensitive pair of IEMs/headphones) will indeed eliminate that issue completely or just reduce it to an acceptable level. Since the Poly is playing from the SD card anyway I prefer to eliminate the issue, instead of reducing it with the hope that it is reduced to an unadible level. No wifi, no noise. I am pretty happy with MojoPoly's sound quality in Airplane mode.

To my surprise I also prefer QuickPlay to other MPD players:
  • QuickPlay continues the current playlist exactly where it left off. This is amazing! (Only Glider came close to this but it always lost the position in the track if MojoPoly was turned off which was unfortunate with the many long tracks I have.)
  • If connection to Poly was broken QuickPlay tells me, and I can get back in a few taps. Some players tried but could not reconnect and I had to manually kill them. Other players forgot Poly or fell back to the phone's speaker (see next point). It was so frustrating to swipe and tap around for minutes until the damn thing started playing music. QuickPlay on the other hand works reliably.
  • QuickPlay never sent music at full volume to the mobile phone's speaker, emberassing me in front of the office or fellow passengers. Most other players did it.
Of course I cannot see album covers, I cannot even see the album title, and the whole app feels like an internal Chord test app, but playback control is reliable and with wifi off the sound quality is superb.

Its my understanding that it shouldnt alter the sound much from the mojo. Its essentially a voltage divider. The thing that could potentially alter the the frequency response is that some BA iems do change with output impedance. But its my understanding that the output impedance is less than 1 ohm with the iematch, which should match up with the mojo and a lot of of players (and its my understanding that less than 1 ohm is often desired for ba iems).

Quickplay is nice to have, but its definitely not a full fledged solution as there is no browsing, you are just limited to your playlists. And considering the long connect times between my phone and the poly via gofigure, I imagine it would likely need a long-ish time for every action if the connection is broken. Plus, no streaming options or anything like that. So, its a nice to have, but unless (or until) there is a full fledged player that can control the poly via bluetooth (or ble) then wifi is pretty essential for me personally, and it seems as though this is really how the poly was designed anyways, around wifi.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #13,804 of 18,777
I gave iEMatch a try once, out of pure curiosity. I have never had noise or interference issues in my preferred Airplane or Poly hotspot modes.
My IEMs are Tia Fourtes so I do get to hear literally every little details there is in a track.

Long story short, iEMatch did not impress me and after just a few listens I had it returned.
It made sound a bit muffled. Less micro detail. Certain DSD tracks definitely ended up being less "airy". While volume had to be cranked up much higher than normal for the iEMatch to work, my ears felt that increased inaudible sound pressure making things slightly uncomfortable.
iEMatch definitely alters the sound slightly, at least to my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #13,805 of 18,777
@zenlisten @mashuto

You are not the only ones. I pick it up with SE535 and my Yamaha studio headphones. Airplane mode is the only option that gets rid of it. At first I used to have the same sort of issue (More of RFI) with Mojo. Poly has brought in a chirping noise to the table. I start to think that it's a byproduct of Chord's designs. Someone who owns a Hugo or Hugo 2 might chime in. Let's see.

Ven

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #13,806 of 18,777
I would, if the previous sd card had ever left poly in the first place. It had been stuck in her for about a year as I never really used it or quick play. I just used tidal or qobuz.

I originally ordered a sandisk 256gb card, however, once I got to thinking about why my sd card died so suddenly, I decided to sack sandisk and employ a samsung class 10 U3 sd card instead.

So far so good.

I love my mojo & poly, ok poly can be a pain in the arse at times, but I still love both of them. That being said, I'm not a fan of the "Always on" feature on Poly, as after I use any battery operated device, I stick them on charge so that they are ready for the next time I go to use them.

But in order to use poly, I have to set an alarm on my phone to let me know that I have to charge poly if I want to use it the following day.

I think something like that should be an option in gofigure. I don't know how long poly has been like that for, but I only noticed it a week or so ago.

Outback Truckers has just started on Discovery HD w00t w00t

I'm jealous, as I also want to be a fat sloppy wife beater wearing gimp, with a mullet.

To be honest, I would settle for just the mullet.

My trucker name would be something like, Turbo.

It was meant to be a tongue and cheek response :wink:

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #13,808 of 18,777
Just finished A/B testing: NEW AUDIO QUEST DRAGONFLY COBALT, CHORD MOJO/POLY both with SONY Z1R and SONY WH 1000 XM3
RESULTS
MOJOPOLY absolutely wins... more musical... wider richer sound... i find myself tapping my toes more with Mojopoly.
AQ Cobalt... not bad... sounds thinner... bass not as rich/punchy
SONY WH... great all rounder but does not compare to the above with Z1R USECASES.
I like mojopoly and Z1R controlling mconnect with apple watch.... meaning in every scenario I would contemplate using the AQ COBALT id rather use MOJOPOLY with my iphone in pocket. Gym and higher active areas would use SONY WH Powerbeats pro only for calls... bike riding (WH and Z1R do not fit under helmet)... and hard hikes (wore up the koko crater stairs in Oahu) IF you do not have a mojopoly... this would be a great purchase. For those that have mojo alone and want to lean out... a good direction... I however really love the mojopoly... the sound and what it represents.

Its a nice to have in the kit... not a must have. For IEMs I can see the AQ COBALT being a nice solution BUT I am not an IEM guy.

I currently Have Sony Z1R, Mojopoly, Sony WH M3, Sony PHA3, New Powerbeats Pro and now the AQ Cobalt.

I can see the cobalt coming out in scenarios that I want to fire up the Z1Rs simply VS pulling out the Mojopoly.... will go for a hike with AQ Cobalt and Z1R now to test further.

For reference the Sony PHA3 does sound better than Mojopoly. ALSO my source was both Tidal and QOBUZ HIREZ no Spotify crap. so there you have it

ALSO

CHORD
its really time for mojopoly 2 guys.. 2020? fully integrated single box better.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #13,809 of 18,777
I dont know if it helps but I found out that the wifi noise was from external sources. Sounds silly but I warped my Polly in an RFID protected bag then tested and had no noise. I then disabled the 5ghz channel on my wifi router and all the noise went away.

I wonder if wrapping the Polly in tin foil would help :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #13,810 of 18,777
The wifi noise issue is so bad for me (Shure SE846) that I keep Poly in Airplane/Bluetooth mode all the time. No wifi, no noise. :frowning2:
I use the same earphones but do not get an issue

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #13,811 of 18,777
I use the same earphones but do not get an issue

That would give hope to @mashuto, @vkvedam and me that our devices have defects.

So when you browse/search music (which creates wifi traffic) and there is no music playing, you can hear absolute silence in the SE846s? Would be great if that would be the case!

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #13,812 of 18,777
Guys, can i ask what apps you use to stream audio from pc to poly?
IS Foobar2000 amongst them?

Regarding sound quality,isthere the difference betweeen wireless playback and SD airplane mode are really audible?

More specific question, does streaming over wifi sound quality equal to USB to Mojo playback?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #13,813 of 18,777
That would give hope to @mashuto, @vkvedam and me that our devices have defects.

So when you browse/search music (which creates wifi traffic) and there is no music playing, you can hear absolute silence in the SE846s? Would be great if that would be the case!

I hear the noise when listening to MojoPoly (how many people like me just call it Moly?) while charging, with both SE846 and IE 800 S, but not otherwise.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #13,814 of 18,777
Just finished A/B testing: NEW AUDIO QUEST DRAGONFLY COBALT, CHORD MOJO/POLY both with SONY Z1R and SONY WH 1000 XM3
RESULTS

My Cobalt arrives tomorrow.

For me, MojoPoly will always be a stay-at-home source/amp, due its price (i.e. cost of replacement if something were to happen) and bulkiness. Oh right, I almost forgot, its fiddliness just to get it set up for whatever mode you want Poly to be in.

If I travel and don't want to bring a dedicated DAP then it's phone plus AQ DF(x) that gets the nod. I'm curious about the Cobalt power usage, supposedly 30% better than DF red, and heat. Red gets rather warm after a while, DF Black remains cool but of course not as powerful as Red.

I have zero expectations that Cobalt would surpass Mojo in any way of audio performance.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #13,815 of 18,777
Matt thanks for this I will install the beta tonight and let you know how it works. I know I have been persistent, and I tried not to be obnoxious I hope I succeeded. Poly with Roon is such an important part of my use case I really missed the functionality.
Did install the new firmware 2.04 and Roon is up and running with my Poly again. Thanks Matt for a wonderful jobb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back