Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 11, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #13,816 of 18,750
Not attacking you, just giving a little praise to Matt and his team for creating a pretty darn impressive product.
Don't get me wrong; I do think the Poly is a very nice product. I'm certainly glad I have mine, and I intend to keep it. I don't use Roon, but I very much appreciate that the Poly turns my Mojo into a portable DLNA server/renderer that provides amazing sound quality everywhere I go. I'm happy that I no longer need to have my phone physically tethered to my Mojo when I'm on the go.

But I'm really hoping Chord is working on adding a few more features to it, because I think that would make it more attractive to more people at its current price point. As it is, I find it a bit difficult explaining to anyone why an add-on to a $500 DAC is worth an additional $750. Before buying mine, I remember scouring this thread trying to figure that out for myself. I was a bit skeptical that I'd actually think it was worth the money, which is why I made sure I ordered from a place that had a good return policy. I surmised that the Poly was probably something you'd have to try out for a while in order to really appreciate what it does, and I was right about that. I just think adding a few more features might make its value a bit more obvious.

On a side note, I recently purchased a Fossil Sport smartwatch. It automatically opens a media control app whenever I start playing music from my Android phone, which is really nice because it allows me to skip tracks using the watch screen or the physical buttons on the side of the watch. It would be ideal if there could be some way to do that without needing a phone as an intermediary.

Jul 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #13,818 of 18,750
(One more thing I forgot to add to my last post:) I used to think that I needed to open Go Figure whenever I wanted to use my Poly, which was a source of minor frustration because the app often took several minutes to connect, and sometimes I'd have to close the app down and restart it before it would connect to the Poly. But I've discovered that I really don't need to do that; the Poly automatically connects to my home network (or to my phone's hotspot when I'm away from home) when I turn it on. So usually all that's required is for me to turn on the Poly, then open MALP and make sure the correct network profile is selected in MALP. Even the song that was previously playing the last time I shut down the Poly is queued up. I can't even remember the last time I had to launch Go Figure.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #13,821 of 18,750
@Matt Bartlett

For those of us fortunate to have full Roon functionality on firmware 2.03, could you share what 2.04 fixed for those who weren’t as lucky?

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #13,823 of 18,750
@Matt Bartlett

For those of us fortunate to have full Roon functionality on firmware 2.03, could you share what 2.04 fixed for those who weren’t as lucky?

Thanks.

Yes the Roon issue only affected a few customers but it was still very frustrating for them and for us and also very difficult to trace. Roon have a requirement for something called convenience switching. In Polys case this means when you are running Roon it has to switch seamlessly between Bluetooth operation and Roon operation without having to make any configuration changes. So if you are playing music via Bluetooth and then hit play on Roon your Roon music will start playing instead and vice versa. On some Polys the Roon code constantly thought that the Bluetooth was playing so it would not switch back to Roon operation. We built in a fix to stop this from happening.
This is the simple answer as it was actually far more difficult as we are dealing with a complex interaction between the Roon code and Poly code. However it looks like it is all ok now so we will release a full public update next week after some final testing.

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #13,824 of 18,750
Is it possible to output music from Jriver MC based on my laptop to a Poly beeing on the same network at home?
Can i also stream music to poly at my office (office laptop to poly on same wifi) in this case does Jriver instaled on office PC can take audio tracks strored at my home server and stream to poly too?

Thank you.

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #13,825 of 18,750
I was one of those people who had the Roon issue, and it has been successfully resolved with the new firmware 2.0.4. It's nice to have Roon functionality back! Thanks Matt for the efforts to resolve this.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #13,827 of 18,750
Yes the Roon issue only affected a few customers but it was still very frustrating for them and for us and also very difficult to trace. Roon have a requirement for something called convenience switching. In Polys case this means when you are running Roon it has to switch seamlessly between Bluetooth operation and Roon operation without having to make any configuration changes. So if you are playing music via Bluetooth and then hit play on Roon your Roon music will start playing instead and vice versa. On some Polys the Roon code constantly thought that the Bluetooth was playing so it would not switch back to Roon operation. We built in a fix to stop this from happening.
This is the simple answer as it was actually far more difficult as we are dealing with a complex interaction between the Roon code and Poly code. However it looks like it is all ok now so we will release a full public update next week after some final testing.
Matt, yes, yes, yes... Roon is working with Poly again thanks for the update. I went to sleep with Billie Holiday last night.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #13,828 of 18,750
Out of the blue I’m getting a ‘Device Initialization Failed’ error in Roon (ios) to connect to Poly. Any troubleshooting tips are welcome. Thanks.

Update: eventually it worked (maybe it just took a while before Roon core connected to the Poly zone).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #13,829 of 18,750

Thanks!

Sounds like a pain to figure out. Glad you succeeded.

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #13,830 of 18,750
Matt, yes, yes, yes... Roon is working with Poly again thanks for the update. I went to sleep with Billie Holiday last night.
Good news yet a tad disturbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back