Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #12,121 of 18,821
haha... i like that thread. They are so honest over there, that is a fresh wind compared to that head-fi forum...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/page-9

Boerd said:
I own a Chord Mojo for a bit more than 2 years.
Executive summary - it is a piece of crap.
For the mortals:
1. It shuts down randomly
2. The battery sits on top of a hot chip - so much for engineering. Heat goes up (duhhhh) and a heated battery has a short life
3. My Mojo started to make a humming noise when plugged in - more often than not
4. The user interface sucks

Very disappointing. Very.
Totally agree with this, but points 1-3 kind of disappear if you use it on battery power. Chord's biggest mistake with this unit was telling everyone it was fine to use whilst charging, it really isn't. The UI is completely dumb though, the USB charging/battery level indicator light sitting underneath the USB cable (so it's impossible to see it) tells you everything you need to know about their (after)thought process.

Amir, any update on testing this via optical on battery power? I'm really interested to see how it performs once the variable of USB noise is removed, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 3, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #12,122 of 18,821
haha... i like that thread. They are so honest over there, that is a fresh wind compared to that head-fi forum...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/page-9

from contribution 170 I find it particularly interesting. That's probably why I also ruined the battery life of my own mojo: because i naively fool have trusted Chord, and most time had just blue-eyed listened to the music while at the same time charged up mojo with a power-bank -.-

Boerd said:
I own a Chord Mojo for a bit more than 2 years.
Executive summary - it is a piece of crap.
For the mortals:
1. It shuts down randomly
2. The battery sits on top of a hot chip - so much for engineering. Heat goes up (duhhhh) and a heated battery has a short life
3. My Mojo started to make a humming noise when plugged in - more often than not
4. The user interface sucks

Very disappointing. Very.
Totally agree with this, but points 1-3 kind of disappear if you use it on battery power. Chord's biggest mistake with this unit was telling everyone it was fine to use whilst charging, it really isn't. The UI is completely dumb though, the USB charging/battery level indicator light sitting underneath the USB cable (so it's impossible to see it) tells you everything you need to know about their (after)thought process.

Amir, any update on testing this via optical on battery power? I'm really interested to see how it performs once the variable of USB noise is removed, thanks.

Hot air rises because the air expands and becomes less dense. This is a property of gases, and not heat in general.

Mar 3, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #12,123 of 18,821
Hot air rises because the air expands and becomes less dense. This is a property of gases, and not heat in general.
Are you using a hugo-metaphor?

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #12,124 of 18,821
Are you using a hugo-metaphor?
Do you want to engage the Metaphor Police? No one expects the Metaphor Police!

dumb.jpg

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #12,125 of 18,821
Can I call it the Poly-jo :)

Just a quick note to say thank you.
I have been a cheapskate audiophile quite a few years and I finally have a portable rig that I can say I am satisfied with.
I listen to music most of the day as it helps me avoid distractions in my job. I also commute by train sometimes. I can honestly say this is the first source/dac/ amp config that doesn't fatigue me after a couple of hours.
I also listen to music from lots of sources (NAS, SD, Spotify, Android Phone,Fiio X5 II, AK70MkII , PC and and and) and it's easy to switch and reliable as hell.
It takes a few hours of playing and getting to know Poly but once you get it, it is just brilliant.

I have been through the ChiFi rout with Iriver, Fiio, numerus earbuds and always been left feeling that I could do better without spending the earth.
Today I am using the Ply - mojo with DM6's and sometimes the Shure SE535's (grey filters and custom cable and snugs).

I'm hearing sounds like intakes of breath and extra detail that wasn't there with my AK 70Mkii.
I listen to all sorts and everything.
I don’t know why but I can listen for hours now without feeling like I need a break.

Please keep up the good work Chord, we need companies like you.

Anyway, just thank you from a happy customer.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #12,128 of 18,821
Can I call it the Poly-jo :)

Just a quick note to say thank you.
I have been a cheapskate audiophile quite a few years and I finally have a portable rig that I can say I am satisfied with.
I listen to music most of the day as it helps me avoid distractions in my job. I also commute by train sometimes. I can honestly say this is the first source/dac/ amp config that doesn't fatigue me after a couple of hours.
I also listen to music from lots of sources (NAS, SD, Spotify, Android Phone,Fiio X5 II, AK70MkII , PC and and and) and it's easy to switch and reliable as hell.
It takes a few hours of playing and getting to know Poly but once you get it, it is just brilliant.

I have been through the ChiFi rout with Iriver, Fiio, numerus earbuds and always been left feeling that I could do better without spending the earth.
Today I am using the Ply - mojo with DM6's and sometimes the Shure SE535's (grey filters and custom cable and snugs).

I'm hearing sounds like intakes of breath and extra detail that wasn't there with my AK 70Mkii.
I listen to all sorts and everything.
I don’t know why but I can listen for hours now without feeling like I need a break.

Please keep up the good work Chord, we need companies like you.

Anyway, just thank you from a happy customer.

which mode are you playing with Mojo poly? Have u tried to listen songs from micro sdcard in poly?

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #12,129 of 18,821
Im using it mainly DLNA UPNP controlled from Android, Yes I am playing from SD card too? I have varying kinds of files all sorts of formats from DSD, FLAC to MP3, all sounding great with no issues.

To be honest I don't think there is a way I haven't tried to use it. Roon is the only thing I haven't tried.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #12,130 of 18,821
Ok. I was wrong...

I tested it thoroughly today. i mean the battery life of my mojo with poly... So Mojo and Poly charged to 100%. Then connected with a sennheiser hd660s, mojo on volume level dark blue + 3 or 4 clicks. Smartphone hotspot, dlna, poly server and renderer, hifi-cast app. Android.

After 7 hours and 10 minutes, the battery was below 5%. so flashing red. I can live with that battery performance. So the battery is probably not as bad as I suspected. After all, I've been using Mojo quite regularly for two years.

It seems to me that the Chord Mojo combined with the little Hidiz's ap60 dap as a transport has burned down the battery of the Mojo faster. In addition, the Mojo got also more heated with the Hidizs ap60 as a transport.

Excuse me. I'm also very embarrassed about my mistake there. I also truly apologize to the Chord staff ...

I always thought my Mojo battery can last only just over 4 hours 30 minutes. That was actually the reason why I was so much ranting around here. i was just angry ._.

Sorry, but i dont post here anymore. I also am sorry, that i called you guys here liars.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #12,131 of 18,821
Ok. I was wrong...

I tested it thoroughly today. i mean the battery life of my mojo with poly... So Mojo and Poly charged to 100%. Then connected with a sennheiser hd660s, mojo on volume level dark blue + 3 or 4 clicks. Smartphone hotspot, dlna, poly server and renderer, hifi-cast app. Android.

After 7 hours and 10 minutes, the battery was below 5%. so flashing red. I can live with that battery performance. So the battery is probably not as bad as I suspected. After all, I've been using Mojo quite regularly for two years.

It seems to me that the Chord Mojo combined with the little Hidiz's ap60 dap as a transport has burned down the battery of the Mojo faster. In addition, the Mojo got also more heated with the Hidizs ap60 as a transport.

Excuse me. I'm also very embarrassed about my mistake there. I also truly apologize to the Chord staff ...

I always thought my Mojo battery can last only just over 4 hours 30 minutes. That was actually the reason why I was so much ranting around here. i was just angry ._.

Sorry, but i dont post here anymore. I also am sorry, that i called you guys here liars.
Hugo,
the 'tone' of some of your posts does sometimes wind me and other posters up.
however i also regard your posts as a valuable form of user feedback.
possibly that is influenced by myself working in engineering, and learning that 'continuous improvement' is a useful practice.
so feel free to post your issues/ideas to me - i may not always agree with every idea, but i will 'chew the cud' regarding your suggestions.
:slight_smile:

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #12,132 of 18,821
Ok. I was wrong...

Please keep posting or I will be out of a job.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #12,133 of 18,821
Yes, don't go, I read all the posts in this tread before I posted. It is good to compare experiences. It is why this hobby is so cool.

I cant fault my setup but I understand a new firmware is in the making. I am wondering what Chord can do to improve it ?

One of my roles is developing software so I appreciate the way Chord are being diligent and not rushing out buggy firmware. Agile has its place and media streaming is not it.

I wonder if they will support some of the other streaming services beside tidal ?

Mar 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #12,135 of 18,821
Hey Chord, we know you are listening :), Give us some hints.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back