Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 14, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #10,561 of 18,822
mistakes were made and lessons were learned, hindsight is a wonderful thing wouldn't you agree?

hopefully now the dust is settling a bit and now the Beta-program is up and running, solutions to issues will be found with the participation & help from fellow Head-fi'ers, so please keep your valuable feedback coming... after all we all want a happy ending.

I had watched this thread from afar as I was itching to obtain this ever since John Frank's mentioned it as a project. But early reports had me holding back. Seeing that the Beta was released I decided to jump in but alas got Poly before Beta app. But all is not lost and once one is able to set up and use, wow what a product and I am sure the user experience can be improved on via the app developers improving on and ironing out bugs or even adding features.

Just had a thought, I wonder if the number of Android users will now increase.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #10,562 of 18,822
About gapless with bubbleupnp with android.

BubbleUpnp server could be the solution:

Creating OpenHome renderers

For each renderer you can create a playlist aware OpenHome Renderer that you can control with either Android BubbleUPnP or other OpenHome Control Points.

An OpenHome Renderer has the following advantages over a regular UPnP AV renderer:

each OpenHome renderer has its own playlist
gapless playback is supported when the underlying UPNP AV renderer supports it
no need to leave the Control Point running for playlist track advance to happen
several OpenHome Control Points (Android BubbleUPnP, Linn Kazoo) can be connected to the same renderer simultaneously, showing the same playlist and playback state
create a playing playlist on a device and pick it up later on another device

For example, consider this scenario:

with BubbleUPnP Server you create an OpenHome renderer from WMP
in Android BubbleUPnP on your phone you select this renderer and make a playing playlist and start playback
you exit BubbleUPnP. Playlist track advance is still performed by BubbleUPnP Server
sometimes later you launch BubbleUPnP on your tablet (or phone) and select the WMP OpenHome renderer. The initial playlist is displayed

To create an OpenHome Renderer from the selected UPnP AV Renderer just check "Create an OpenHome renderer". A new UPnP Device will appear on the network named after the UPnP AV Renderer's name with "(OpenHome)" appended. For example if you select a Windows Media Player Renderer called "bob (MYPCNAME: Windows Media Player)", then the newly created OpenHome Renderer will appear as "bob (MYPCNAME: Windows Media Player) (OpenHome)" in Android BubbleUPnP. An OpenHome renderer has two optional parameters that you can modify:

Room: the physical room where your renderer is located. Limited to 20 characters
Name: the name of the renderer within the room. Limited to 20 characters
Gapless playback: enable music gapless playback (see below)

Room and Name are ignored by Android BubbleUPnP. However they are used by other OpenHome Control Points such as Linn Kazoo to get the full name of the renderer which will usually be "Room: Name".

OpenHome Gapless playback

Enabling gapless playback has several benefits:

the obvious one is to be able to play gaplessly gapless albums like "Dark side of the moon"
a less obvious one is to reduce gaps between non-gapless tracks streamed from the cloud (Dropbox, Google Music, etc). The next track to be played is buffered in advance making possibly long buffering unnoticeable on next track transition

Gapless playback can only be enabled on renderers on which it may work. Enabling it is not a guarantee that it will work. If gapless playback works in Android BubbleUPnP with the regular UPnP AV renderer, it should work with the OpenHome renderer managed by BubbleUPnP Server.

Edit:
https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#android

Hi Panarus,
Thank you for your comprehensive instructions for BubbleUPnP but in all honesty if you want gapless playback then it is much easier to use programs such as M.A.L.P for Android or Glider / MPDluxe for Apple. These all support gapless playback without changing any settings. All you need is the IP address of your Poly for M.A.L.P or for MPDluxe the name of your Poly followed by.local to connect. Glider is automatic and will just work if your Poly and phone are on the same network. Alternatively you can use the Quickplay function within Gofigure.

Matt

Aug 14, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #10,563 of 18,822
Hi Panarus,
Thank you for your comprehensive instructions for BubbleUPnP but in all honesty if you want gapless playback then it is much easier to use programs such as M.A.L.P for Android or Glider / MPDluxe for Apple. These all support gapless playback without changing any settings. All you need is the IP address of your Poly for M.A.L.P or for MPDluxe the name of your Poly followed by.local to connect. Glider is automatic and will just work if your Poly and phone are on the same network. Alternatively you can use the Quickplay function within Gofigure.

Matt
Maybe a more interesting question would be are you going to be able to solve gapless playback on the Poly under DLNA?
Add that one after Cast support!

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #10,564 of 18,822
Hi Panarus,

Matt

In addition to gapless playback for dlna and cast support as Gr8h8m said, what about fixing the mp3 and dsd indexing for mpd? Are these still on the radar? Now that gofigure is here (at least in beta) they feel to me like some of the last remaining puzzle pieces before the product is whole (for me at least).

Aug 14, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #10,565 of 18,822
In addition to gapless playback for dlna and cast support as Gr8h8m said, what about fixing the mp3 and dsd indexing for mpd? Are these still on the radar? Now that gofigure is here (at least in beta) they feel to me like some of the last remaining puzzle pieces before the product is whole (for me at least).
I first brought the MPD indexing bug to their attention at the start of the year - even looked through a bunch of MPD documentation to try and find the problem (missing id3tag) so I'm really disappointed that they still haven't fixed this yet. MPD is a mature, tried and tested open source software that should be straightforward to update, and as its currently the very backbone of a good Poly experience if you're an Android user, you'd think it would have greater priority.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #10,566 of 18,822
Maybe a more interesting question would be are you going to be able to solve gapless playback on the Poly under DLNA?
Add that one after Cast support!

That's a more complex question as the DLNA/UPnP protocol was never designed with gapless playback in mind. It's requires both the control point software and the renderer to support a sequence of events outside of the normal protocols to work correctly. Poly has gapless support but it's not working in all cases so we are working to see whether that is a control point issue we can work around or whether there is something else going on.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #10,567 of 18,822
I first brought the MPD indexing bug to their attention at the start of the year - even looked through a bunch of MPD documentation to try and find the problem (missing id3tag) so I'm really disappointed that they still haven't fixed this yet. MPD is a mature, tried and tested open source software that should be straightforward to update, and as its currently the very backbone of a good Poly experience if you're an Android user, you'd think it would have greater priority.

It has been updated but M.A.L.P still doesn't index them we are investigating why. It's not as high on our priority list as you can still play DSD and mp3 files and it isn't a case of them not playing at all. Getting Android Gofigure prepared and out is a much higher priority.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #10,568 of 18,822
..Getting Android Gofigure prepared and out is a much higher priority.

I cannot argue with that at all and as long as the app is developed continually (bug fixes et al) with ongoing support.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #10,571 of 18,822
It is a pity there is no aptX or LDAC on the poly. I have a Mojo and it's great and would have bought a Poly if it had decent BT codecs. From what I gather from here, the only way to stream Qobuz from my android phone to the Poly is with an app like bubbleupnp…...but that means using up my small 'hotspot' allowance well before the month is up. I have an 'all you can eat' data allowance and so AptX or LDAC would be perfect. As it is, SBC Bluetooth is not worth spending such a lot of money on, for me anyway.

Looks like Ifi or Fiio it is then

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #10,572 of 18,822
Hi @kdbur,
I'm not sure I understand why you can't use BubbleUPnP. If you have an 'all you can eat data allowance' then you should be able to have virtually unlimited
streaming from Qobuz via BubbleUPnP using your hotspot on your phone. This would also allow for much higher resolution streaming than you can ever get from
Bluetooth. Are you saying that on your phone contract there is a limit or allowance for your hotspot?
Streaming Qobuz via hotspot or Bluetooth should use exactly the same data allowance.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #10,573 of 18,822
Hi @kdbur,
I'm not sure I understand why you can't use BubbleUPnP. If you have an 'all you can eat data allowance' then you should be able to have virtually unlimited
streaming from Qobuz via BubbleUPnP using your hotspot on your phone. This would also allow for much higher resolution streaming than you can ever get from
Bluetooth. Are you saying that on your phone contract there is a limit or allowance for your hotspot?
Streaming Qobuz via hotspot or Bluetooth should use exactly the same data allowance.

Hi Matt,

Yes, Although I do have an unlimited data allowance I do have a fixed 'hot spot' allowance and it wouldn't get me through 2 weeks never mind a month. That is why a receiver with AptX is important to me. As I said, it is a pity as I love my mojo and would have liked to bet away from my 'brick'.

Aug 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #10,575 of 18,822
Sorry I'm still lost. So you have a separate allowance to use the hotspot / tethering from your phone to connect to another device? I've never heard of anything like that.

From 3…..''Tethering is allowed on Three's network, but not all plans come with a tethering allowance and there are limits to the amount of data you can share with other devices every month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back