Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #10,352 of 18,828
Surprised that they haven't been able to sort out alphabetizing the playlists yet - maybe they just wanted a straight port of the IOS version?
They do need to find some other way of selecting a playlist. It's far too easy to accidentally fire one off when scrolling through them all (trying to find one in a random list!)
Quite slow starting up as it caches data, but you'd expect some clunkiness from a beta. Functionality seems good so far.
Overall though, I'm just in a state of shock that it's finally here!
(GoFigure installed on Note 8 / Android 8.0)

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #10,354 of 18,828
Conrad, I have news... in reply to my email:-

I understand Conrad is on the beta program so I think he will get most of his answers.

There is no need to update Poly firmware at this point. We have designed the app to work with the current V26 of Poly firmware.

There will be additional fixes rolled out with a firmware update and also an iOS update later on but we need to get the feedback from Android app first to see what else we need to do.

hope that helps in someway.

It does, thank you. The beta came out just after my post, congrats. I’ll install and give feedback.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #10,355 of 18,828
beta arrived just in time when i set up poly to hotspot mode and left the iPhone home before travelling. works flawlessly with Galaxy Note 8 updated to android 8.0.0.

Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-55-05.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-56.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-43.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-36.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-53-56.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-55-05.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-56.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-43.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-54-36.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-04-03-53-56.jpg

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #10,356 of 18,828
After reading most of this forum (over a couple of weeks), I may have something to contribute that has not already been mentioned.

In my experience with the Poly, MPD is the best option for SD card playback. I make this statement as my primary goal is listening experience. DLNA is wonderful if all of your metadata is pristine; but even it the best-case scenario, DLNA does not offer gap-less playback. That is a non-starter for me. Glider works so well on the iPhone because it used the best of both (DLNA for metadata and MPD for actual playback). Unfortunately, those of us on Android do have this option.

Another thing I have learned from my experience is that connecting to Poly over WiFi for SD card playback does not seem like the best option for a number of reasons (occasional noise, drops, possible diminished battery life); so if possible, control via Bluetooth seems like the way to go.

Music Player Daemon (MDP) is old. It has been around forever in the Linux world (by software standards). I know this because in college (2004) I used to control an MPD server running on my laptop with a flip phone. There was a Java app. And as the flip phone did not have WiFi, the data transport it used for MPD control was...wait for it...wait for it.........bluetooth!

Exactly how this worked, I am not sure. But I can't imagine that if software running on a flip phone could have full MPD control via Bluetooth, it could be all that difficult to write similar software for an Apple or Android device that is thousands of times more capable.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #10,357 of 18,828
After reading most of this forum (over a couple of weeks), I may have something to contribute that has not already been mentioned.

In my experience with the Poly, MPD is the best option for SD card playback. I make this statement as my primary goal is listening experience. DLNA is wonderful if all of your metadata is pristine; but even it the best-case scenario, DLNA does not offer gap-less playback. That is a non-starter for me. Glider works so well on the iPhone because it used the best of both (DLNA for metadata and MPD for actual playback). Unfortunately, those of us on Android do have this option.

Another thing I have learned from my experience is that connecting to Poly over WiFi for SD card playback does not seem like the best option for a number of reasons (occasional noise, drops, possible diminished battery life); so if possible, control via Bluetooth seems like the way to go.

Music Player Daemon (MDP) is old. It has been around forever in the Linux world (by software standards). I know this because in college (2004) I used to control an MPD server running on my laptop with a flip phone. There was a Java app. And as the flip phone did not have WiFi, the data transport it used for MPD control was...wait for it...wait for it.........bluetooth!

Exactly how this worked, I am not sure. But I can't imagine that if software running on a flip phone could have full MPD control via Bluetooth, it could be all that difficult to write similar software for an Apple or Android device that is thousands of times more capable.
The counter argument, is that if software is old, it has had chance to be properly debugged. If you use new software, or an update each year, you will spend months each year debugging the newly deployed software.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #10,358 of 18,828

Been banging the M.A.L.P / MPD drum here for ages :-} They need to debug their implementation though (its missing the id3tag dependable) which means that it doesn't currently index MP3 or DSD files. Which is why Glider's hybrid approach (DLNA for indexing / MPD for playback) is so smart.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #10,360 of 18,828
The counter argument, is that if software is old, it has had chance to be properly debugged. If you use new software, or an update each year, you will spend months each year debugging the newly deployed software.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but what meant to say is that MPD has been around for more than a decade, is fully mature, and therefore should not to complicated to implement properly.

What i woul really like to see if full MPD control over Bluetooth within the GoFigure app. This would remove reliance on WiFi for SD card playback. Save the WiFi for steaming.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #10,361 of 18,828
Qobuz and g music integration !!
And Tidal. Does this mean streaming from within the Go Figure app? This functionality isn't yet available in the iOS app. I do hope Google cast is not far down the pipeline. That would cover off all my streaming use cases (pocket casts, internet radio etc.) without having to change from WiFi to Bluetooth, and vice versa.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #10,362 of 18,828
And Tidal. Does this mean streaming from within the Go Figure app? This functionality isn't yet available in the iOS app. I do hope Google cast is not far down the pipeline. That would cover off all my streaming use cases (pocket casts, internet radio etc.) without having to change from WiFi to Bluetooth, and vice versa.
Be good to hear from android user if these services are available

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #10,363 of 18,828
Great news about the Android app .I successfully Installed the app on a Nexus 5X phone (Android 8.1) without a problem. Also successfully installed on a Pixel 2 phone (Android P 9.0 beta) but only after timing out a couple of times and some weird behaviour on the way. I'm looking forward to more extensive tests on the road next week.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #10,365 of 18,828
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but what meant to say is that MPD has been around for more than a decade, is fully mature, and therefore should not to complicated to implement properly.

What i woul really like to see if full MPD control over Bluetooth within the GoFigure app. This would remove reliance on WiFi for SD card playback. Save the WiFi for steaming.
Chord already backed off full bluetooth MPD SD control - after stating that this was forthcoming - and said that this would be too taxing for Poly. I found this quite surprising as I imagined a simple file browser implemented over bluetooth wouldn't be so hard? In any case, bluetooth control of just MPD playlists is where they've currently ended up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back