Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 4, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #9,361 of 18,780
Thank you too. I have added a note stuck to my wall, with all the suggestions I received recently. (Again so many thanks everyone who helped.) I have a list:
MALP
bubbleunpn
hificast
mpandroid

I am not entirely sure if those apps will run the SD card and the wireless (or Bluetooth) connection to run it. However I have most of the idea figured out now, as I said.

My alternative was looking at the Sony NW ZX300, just as a player. Plus occasionally source for Mojo, but not necessarily portably. I know I would be more that pleased with the ZX300. It sounds good, and has a good long battery life. (Unlike the Poly/Mojo sadly.)

It would not compete with the Mojo for quality but that's fine. It will be leaps and bounds over my iPod Shuffle. That I can't operate with iTunes, because I can't operate iTunes. Plus the ZX300 has a screen, is easy to drop music onto, and easy to operate.

I mean I am lucky in that I have a Hugo 2 at home. Meaning I don't necessarily need ultimate audio quality, on the go. Something portable that works well, sounds good, and with a long battery life is perfect. ......... However the draw to Poly is still hankering me. Since I already own a Mojo, plus I was given a Mojo/Poly case, when I bought my Hugo 2.

There's no way around it, that the Mojo/Poly would sound tear-jerkingly good. I guess I just have to make up my mind. I wish I could because I keep going without music, because my Shuffle is a pain. I only have four albums on it, and hate iTunes.
Have you seen the details for the Shanling M0 in development.

May 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #9,362 of 18,780
Go for it- Poly rocks now! I also own a Hugo 2 but use Poly more often, especially while on the go.

I still plan to buy 2Go for the H2 but I just can’t picture Poly seeing less playtime as a result.

I would say that as an android user, poly does not quite 100% rock now. Its getting there, but the lack of the gofigure app still kinda sucks and makes certain things a bit more difficult. DLNA is a good option since its quite easy to use, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't support gapless playback. MPD should support gapless playback from my understanding, but without the gofigure app, you are going to need to carry the pin around to get the IP address in order to use it (since we dont have a glider alternative that does the hybrid dlna/mpd). Additionally, if I understand correctly, MPD still doesnt actually index mp3 files, meaning you have to use the folder view, which isnt really preferred. And, without a direct airplay alternative yet, there is still no great or easy way to stream audio (like spotify). Bluetooth works, but audio quality is reduced quite a bit, and at least until they fix it, there is that skipping from the network constantly trying to connect, even when using bluetooth (assuming you arent connected to wifi).

So, its getting there, but I just dont think its there yet, especially not as an android user. I am not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative, but there are still genuine use cases that just either dont work properly, dont exist yet, or as an android user, are less than optimal.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #9,363 of 18,780
A new conundrum,

I've set up a private network for audio (Apple TV's etc) based on an ASUS RT-AC51U wireless router to alleviate any other type of load on that network. Now, when trying to discover the SSID so to connect Poly, it doesn't even display the SSID whereas every other network I've tried can (All other devices can see and connect). The only way I can make Poly 'see' the SSID is to remove WiFi Authentication. I've tried all options: WPA2-Personal (AES) and WPA-Auto-Personal (AES, AES-TKIP) but to no avail.

PS I've tried to enter the WiFi details manually but it says that the network is out of range.

Any ideas?

May 5, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #9,364 of 18,780
I would say that as an android user, poly does not quite 100% rock now. Its getting there, but the lack of the gofigure app still kinda sucks and makes certain things a bit more difficult. DLNA is a good option since its quite easy to use, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't support gapless playback. MPD should support gapless playback from my understanding, but without the gofigure app, you are going to need to carry the pin around to get the IP address in order to use it (since we dont have a glider alternative that does the hybrid dlna/mpd). Additionally, if I understand correctly, MPD still doesnt actually index mp3 files, meaning you have to use the folder view, which isnt really preferred. And, without a direct airplay alternative yet, there is still no great or easy way to stream audio (like spotify). Bluetooth works, but audio quality is reduced quite a bit, and at least until they fix it, there is that skipping from the network constantly trying to connect, even when using bluetooth (assuming you arent connected to wifi).

So, its getting there, but I just dont think its there yet, especially not as an android user. I am not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative, but there are still genuine use cases that just either dont work properly, dont exist yet, or as an android user, are less than optimal.

A little help is the IP address can be replaced with a host name.
"For the host name you can use what ever you called the Poly with .local behind it. So for instance if you called it Moly the Hostname would be Moly.local Port number is 6600 no password needed."

I also thought in my brief usage that HifiCast did do gapless playback on Android.

May 5, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #9,365 of 18,780
Got my first Poly lock-up on the plane last night...Poly’s light refused to go off no matter what.

The battery is still not depleted and I left it to its own devices to discharge fully.

I would have thought that there would be a fix for this by now considering that quite a few people on here had to deal with the same problem.

@Matt Bartlett @Mojo ideas

May 5, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #9,366 of 18,780
Go for it- Poly rocks now! I also own a Hugo 2 but use Poly more often, especially while on the go.

I still plan to buy 2Go for the H2 but I just can’t picture Poly seeing less playtime as a result.

Yep I was thinking similarly. Some very positive views of Poly.
Still not sure though, as I might get a bad one first, and be fighting with it, then getting exchange etc.

Plus walking about with a £900 player plus smartphone. Hmm. (I remember thinking I would never even take my Mojo out of the house, because I treasured it so much. I think maybe I started feeling a bit more relaxed about that since I bought Hugo 2. Mojo is still highly treasured though because it's back up for Hugo 2.)

Have you seen the details for the Shanling M0 in development.

Wow so small. I think there are Mojo cases with capacity for adding a player. Might have a hunt.

May 5, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #9,367 of 18,780
A little help is the IP address can be replaced with a host name.
"For the host name you can use what ever you called the Poly with .local behind it. So for instance if you called it Moly the Hostname would be Moly.local Port number is 6600 no password needed."

I also thought in my brief usage that HifiCast did do gapless playback on Android.

Pretty sure the hostname.poly trick also doesnt work on android... At least I remember it not working when I last tried, but it has been a while, so I will try again at some point soon.

And I just tried some gapless playback with hificast last week (and enabled gapless), and it certainly was not gapless.

May 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #9,368 of 18,780
Am I imagining things, or does the new Roon update (v1.5) have a little graphic of a Mojo where it didn't before?
Yes, I noticed it too. It also now identifies my microrendu and Hugo 2 as two separate devices. But not Poly plus Mojo in the same way, which may be because it’s still uncertified?

Also been playing around with the Roon MQA decoding. FWIW, an AQ Dragonfly Red can now fully decode and render MQA when plugged into an iPhone acting as a Roon endpoint.

Haven’t had time for a proper listen to any of it yet.

May 5, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #9,369 of 18,780
Well, I've been using the Poly for about 2 weeks now and for what I need it to do, it DOES work: (1) home network streaming tidal, roon, and SD card; (2) in the office with my phone's hotspot and the poly and iPad connected to it. I have the occasional stuttering but I think it's more my network than the poly.

The issue I'm having is that I can't seem to get poly's hotspot to work. I thought when poly goes into hotspot mode, I can connect my iPad to it so it's on the same 'network' as the poly so I can listen to the SD card on the go. But I can't seem to fully connect to poly's hotspot. Anyone have any ideas? I watched Jeremy's video and inputed the IPs manually. I'm using my iPad instead of an iPhone, that shouldn't have any affect though.

Thanks, in advance.

CJ

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #9,370 of 18,780
Well, I've been using the Poly for about 2 weeks now and for what I need it to do, it DOES work: (1) home network streaming tidal, roon, and SD card; (2) in the office with my phone's hotspot and the poly and iPad connected to it. I have the occasional stuttering but I think it's more my network than the poly.

The issue I'm having is that I can't seem to get poly's hotspot to work. I thought when poly goes into hotspot mode, I can connect my iPad to it so it's on the same 'network' as the poly so I can listen to the SD card on the go. But I can't seem to fully connect to poly's hotspot. Anyone have any ideas? I watched Jeremy's video and inputed the IPs manually. I'm using my iPad instead of an iPhone, that shouldn't have any affect though.

Thanks, in advance.

CJ

It’s unintuitive but you need to follow some weird steps to get it to work. Not hard, just awkward.

I don’t know jeremy’s video, but did you turn auto-login off and turn auto-join on?

(This video explains hybrid mode, which wouldn’t work with an ipad unless it has cellular, but the first half of the video is just the main setup)

May 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #9,371 of 18,780
Mpdluxe no worky for me, keeps auto minimising\closing when trying to play a song or even if i just leave it alone. 10-20 secons after starting it, it then closes.

Any ideas ?

May 5, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #9,372 of 18,780
A new conundrum,

I've set up a private network for audio (Apple TV's etc) based on an ASUS RT-AC51U wireless router to alleviate any other type of load on that network. Now, when trying to discover the SSID so to connect Poly, it doesn't even display the SSID whereas every other network I've tried can (All other devices can see and connect). The only way I can make Poly 'see' the SSID is to remove WiFi Authentication. I've tried all options: WPA2-Personal (AES) and WPA-Auto-Personal (AES, AES-TKIP) but to no avail.

PS I've tried to enter the WiFi details manually but it says that the network is out of range.

Any ideas?

I use a asus router.

Disable “Hide SSID”, in the router settings and hopefully that should allow poly to see the ssid.

I had similar problem and had to disable “hide ssid”.

Their really no need to hide your ssid if that is what you have it set as ? it does nothing for security.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 5, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #9,373 of 18,780
It’s unintuitive but you need to follow some weird steps to get it to work. Not hard, just awkward.

I don’t know jeremy’s video, but did you turn auto-login off and turn auto-join on?

(This video explains hybrid mode, which wouldn’t work with an ipad unless it has cellular, but the first half of the video is just the main setup)

Yah, I turned OFF auto-login and kept auto-joined ON. Looks like my iPad keeps trying to log in to Poly but can't seem to. My iPad has LTE.

Otherwise, it works fine when I create a hotspot with my phone but I don't want to create a hotspot on my phone every time I use the poly.

May 5, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #9,374 of 18,780
Pretty sure the hostname.poly trick also doesnt work on android... At least I remember it not working when I last tried, but it has been a while, so I will try again at some point soon.

And I just tried some gapless playback with hificast last week (and enabled gapless), and it certainly was not gapless.
Yes the .local trick is IOS only. DLNA is not gapless - MPD is the only gapless playback method currently. Polys MPD *implementation* is what precludes it from currently indexing MP3 / DSD and is something only Chord can solve as they haven't made their source code open yet.

May 5, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #9,375 of 18,780
Yes the .local trick is IOS only. DLNA is not gapless - MPD is the only gapless playback method currently. Polys MPD *implementation* is what precludes it from currently indexing MP3 / DSD and is something only Chord can solve as they haven't made their source code open yet.

Yes, that is as I thought. And yes, I am aware that its not an MPD limitation, but a poly limitation as to why it does not index mp3 over dsd yet. I was just commenting that while the experience is pretty good most of the time, there are still some serious gaps in the experience and things missing that just shouldnt be, especially as an android user. I just have a running list of things that still need to be addressed (more than just the mpd stuff), and I just hope someone out there in chord land is listening and that these items are on the priority list. Just a little frustrating to be 6 months on since this purchase and still waiting for functionality that just feels like it should have been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back