Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #6,242 of 18,778
What happens to me is when playing music via apple music, Jemote, onkyo hf, tidal or glider and especially with 8 player, it drops connection.

8 player keeps losing connection with poly, chord renderer disappears at the bottom of the screen and reverts back to iphone and when trying to refresh the renderer page it only lists iphone or my TV, poly in the servers view page also disappears and no amount of refreshing brings it back.

I have to turn off mojo n poly and turn them back on, ok it only takes like 10 seconds to turn off n on and the poly server reappears, but its bloody annoying as it happens alot in 8 player. < reason I stopped using 8 player.

Glider, sometimes it doesnt pick up poly and only shows media thats already on my iphone, sd card is missing, if I recall its just an initial connection bug and if it drops whilst playing its nowhere near as much as 8 player.

All the different ways to play music from poly do work with me, airplay, dnla, bt ( bluetooth seems to be the most reliable connection ) albeit I havent tried using its hotspot mode as I have no need for it.

Also one of the things that happens is when changing songs, on the odd occasion something will happen and the music starts playing faster than normal speed, it sounds like the music is playing twice as fast as it should be.

I dont know what causes that but I presume its wifi related ?

I have no problems turning poly on and off, it starts up pretty quickly, within 15 seconds or so of starting mojo its ready to go, when turning off, the poly light will stay lit for maybe 30/45 seconds and then turns off unless its charging.

The only real problem I am having is poly dropping connection on my iphone 6s+.

Also, I wonder why they chose 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz, 2.4ghz is saturated as is and playing huge dsd files over a saturated wifi network surely must suffer ? it may of been discussed previously but I also wonder why they didnt use Bluetooth aptx hd instead of bluetooth 4.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #6,243 of 18,778
I too have wondered about the decision to use 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz. Since ranges isn't an issue for poly as a hotspot 5ghz wouldn't be a disadvantage, but for logging onto a wi-fi network 2.4 does give much better range along with the interference. Maybe someone who knows about these things can explain the choice. The chip used in Poly is apparently 5ghz capable.

As far as APT-X HD, I wondered that too except poly really isn't meant to play on BT. The BT was included for remote control. I suppose AptX-HD requires a slightly more expensive chip and licensing fees. It doesn't offer anything better than airplay in terms of sound quality but it would offer users one more way to get a misbehaving Poly to function.

It would be interesting but not helpful for performance at this point for Chord to share their logic on these choices.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #6,244 of 18,778
I too have wondered about the decision to use 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz. Since ranges isn't an issue for poly as a hotspot 5ghz wouldn't be a disadvantage, but for logging onto a wi-fi network 2.4 does give much better range along with the interference. Maybe someone who knows about these things can explain the choice. The chip used in Poly is apparently 5ghz capable.

As far as APT-X HD, I wondered that too except poly really isn't meant to play on BT. The BT was included for remote control. I suppose AptX-HD requires a slightly more expensive chip and licensing fees. It doesn't offer anything better than airplay in terms of sound quality but it would offer users one more way to get a misbehaving Poly to function.

It would be interesting but not helpful for performance at this point for Chord to share their logic on these choices.

Asked/answered a long time ago in this thread (was also a long, drawn out argument).

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #6,247 of 18,778

Bluetooth APT-X HD would of been good to have when using the mojo/poly outdoors when no wifi network is available, as airplay only works via a wifi network.

So it would of been good from that point of view, asto why they chose 2.4ghz instead of 5 I presume its down to it having a stronger signal and longer range, but even then I still dont get it because 5ghz covers the entirety of my house both up and downstairs, its less congested and has higher throughput, so I personally dont understand the reasoning why they chose 2.4 instead of 5ghz.

I wonder if a future firmware update would enable aptx hd or does it require a different chip ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #6,248 of 18,778

Range was an important factor but also 2.4GHz was the far better choice to penetrate concrete and rebar walls. These of course usual many apartment living people especially in Asia. We, Despite an earlier posting by Corius I think, as far as I’m aware, have never stated that Poly would have 5GHz unless we made a marketing drop off forgive me. As 2.4 GHz was and still is the right choice for the application.
Re Bluetooth- There are a couple of important issues with APTx.
Firstly it sounds not quiet as good as, not having it at all when receiving from None APTx Bluetooth transmitters such as all Apple phones. Secondly thetin plate can RF modules that carry APtx are so large it would occupy most of the available very limited Printed circuit board space that we have available inside Poly Also because we feel mojos Very capable Dac can reconstruct straight A2dp very well in any case. So it was an easy choice to leave it out.
Bluetooth as an audio transmit would be the very last choice for any sensible Poly owner with all of the other WiFi or Bluetooth for SD control options available to them.if we’d had greater space inside for larger aerials inside and had the application been to be mostly static the choices may have been some alternatives.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #6,249 of 18,778
Range was an important factor but also 2.4GHz was the far better choice to penetrate concrete and rebar walls. These of course usual many apartment living people especially in Asia. We, Despite an earlier posting by Corius I think, as far as I’m aware, have never stated that Poly would have 5GHz unless we made a marketing drop off forgive me. As 2.4 GHz was and still is the right choice for the application.
Firstly it sounds not quiet as good as, not having it at all when receiving from None APTx Bluetooth transmitters such as all Apple phones. Secondly thetin plate can RF modules that carry APtx are so large it would occupy most of the available very limited Printed circuit board space that we have available inside Poly Also because we feel mojos Very capable Dac can reconstruct straight A2dp very well in any case. So it was an easy choice to leave it out.
Bluetooth as an audio transmit would be the very last choice for any sensible Poly owner with all of the other WiFi or Bluetooth for SD control options available to them.

@Mojo ideas

Sounds good to me. Thanks for taking the time to plough this same ground yet again. This thread has gotten so long that it's hard to remember all of it.

From a user's perspective, I don't miss Apt-X at all. Poly has so many better ways to play. It's amazing that almost all of them sound better -- at least to me -- than Mojo alone. Maybe a placebo effect, but maybe cutting the physical input to Mojo cuts out noise, Or something, I'm no engineer.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #6,250 of 18,778
Bluetooth APT-X HD would of been good to have when using the mojo/poly outdoors when no wifi network is available, as airplay only works via a wifi network.

So it would of been good from that point of view, asto why they chose 2.4ghz instead of 5 I presume its down to it having a stronger signal and longer range, but even then I still dont get it because 5ghz covers the entirety of my house both up and downstairs, its less congested and has higher throughput, so I personally dont understand the reasoning why they chose 2.4 instead of 5ghz.

I wonder if a future firmware update would enable aptx hd or does it require a different chip ?
Poly can set up its own closed WiFi network please read your manual or see the videos at the begining of this thread on how to set this up,

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #6,252 of 18,778
Bluetooth as an audio transmit would be the very last choice for any sensible Poly owner with all of the other WiFi or Bluetooth for SD control options available to them.if we’d had greater space inside for larger aerials inside and had the application been to be mostly static the choices may have been some alternatives.

Don't disagree about the choice for 2.4Ghz. The only issue is that with some of the wireless routers out there, like mine (EERO) and Meraki, the Poly sometimes is connecting at 5Ghz and is clearly causing some of the network issues some of us are getting. I see that in the next firmware release scheduled for Wednesday, there was a not about connecting better to certain routers. Hopefully, this means that Chord is limiting the wireless signal on the Poly to 2.4Ghz only as something is occurring allowing Poly to connect occasionally at 5Ghz.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #6,254 of 18,778
I am not able to locate sd card when on bluetooth, on a side note, mojo volume can only be changed on mojo poly/phone can only lower... ?
They say right up front, the SD card will only be seen with a wifi connection or the Poly as a Hotspot, NEVER by bluetooth. Also, I am not sure what you mean with the volume issue.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #6,255 of 18,778
They say right up front, the SD card will only be seen with a wifi connection or the Poly as a Hotspot, NEVER by bluetooth. Also, I am not sure what you mean with the volume issue.

John Franks said in The past that Bluetooth will be able to control sd card.

I cant get the SD card to show on personal hotspot, using Android. Bubbleupnp

I haven't found a way to control mojo volume, if I stream something to it, I can control my volume off the phone but not mojo volume, thats not too big of an issue but I wish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back