Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #5,191 of 18,774
I have mentioned before that Chord should at least temporarily suspend sales until the product is more reliable. In its current state, it is in beta testing and unsuitable for general distribution.

Yeah, and Michael Dell some time ago recommended apple it should close doors and give the money back to investors.

It isn't up to you nor anyone else to tell Chord what they should do. I'm really tired of reading such meaningless recommendations. What do we have here? As far as i can comprehend from this thread there are a handfull of problem devices and eventually still remaining problems in firmware which get solved one after another. This is Business as usual, look at other, even big companys which bring devices to market without or with malfunctioning apps. Sure, Chord made the mistake to introduce this device to early, to set itself under pressure with unrealistic shipping dates that got pushed back into late this year, eventually up to a point where they had to ship, whatever was ready at a given date, the mode-setting clip is a clear sign for that. This is far from ideal for any company, but as my poly works nearly perfect so far, i can only recommend to those with problems to seek help at chord and/or bring the device back to your dealer to get it solved or give it back altogether.

If you still love your poly and like it to work better: Either standby and wait for what Chord might bring to the table in the coming weeks or help @JeremyLaurenson with his videos and Wiki to get remaining problems sorted out in a structured manner.

But please, please don't let us complain every 3 or four pages on this thread over what chord has to do has missed or whatnot.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #5,192 of 18,774
I agree with much of what you say but take exception to one thing. None of us has any idea of what the problem rate is with Poly or how many users have problems. It's pointless to speculate because this forum is a small subset of "over 4000 sold." Chord has sometimes appeared to have been in denial and I don't think they have managed the communication as well as they might have done. None of us is perfect. They are doing much better and are on the way to setting Poly straight now. Communication is much better. Firmware updates are coming out -- which by the way @polymaniac should be a clue to you that the troubles were not isolated problems. I totally agree the way to fix this is share constructive advice here and on the Wiki @JeremyLaurenson has set up. I'm working on a post there now. Whining isn't going to help fix this. Speculating about how and why this happened is useless too. That's for Chord to know and to fix. If they learn from the experience, they'll be stronger for it. We all hope they do because they make great hardware.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #5,193 of 18,774
Poly config is a nightmare for me. On both iPhone and iPad.

Bluetooth: it is recognized, but won’t pair. The name that comes up in the device list is not “Poly,” but rather “VFxxxxxx.” The popup to enter “0000” never pops up. I get the “Pairing unsuccessful” popup on the phone. Have tried a couple of dozen times. No joy. Same result every time.

Wi-if: it shows up in the “choose a network” list under Settings -> WiFi. Sometimes. When you click on, a settings screen comes up, but it doesn’t stay on screen long enough to enter all the required information, before you are thrown back to the list of available networks. Sometimes the settings screen stays up for a minute, sometimes for as little as 15-20 seconds.

And no, I haven’t installed the firmware update, because you can’t get it without a Wi-Fi connection, which I can’t create.

Any suggestions?
Yeah, and Michael Dell some time ago recommended apple it should close doors and give the money back to investors.

It isn't up to you nor anyone else to tell Chord what they should do. I'm really tired of reading such meaningless recommendations. What do we have here? As far as i can comprehend from this thread there are a handfull of problem devices and eventually still remaining problems in firmware which get solved one after another. This is Business as usual, look at other, even big companys which bring devices to market without or with malfunctioning apps. Sure, Chord made the mistake to introduce this device to early, to set itself under pressure with unrealistic shipping dates that got pushed back into late this year, eventually up to a point where they had to ship, whatever was ready at a given date, the mode-setting clip is a clear sign for that. This is far from ideal for any company, but as my poly works nearly perfect so far, i can only recommend to those with problems to seek help at chord and/or bring the device back to your dealer to get it solved or give it back altogether.

If you still love your poly and like it to work better: Either standby and wait for what Chord might bring to the table in the coming weeks or help @JeremyLaurenson with his videos and Wiki to get remaining problems sorted out in a structured manner.

But please, please don't let us complain every 3 or four pages on this thread over what chord has to do has missed or whatnot.

Are you kidding me? Trust me this no Dell v. Apple. At least Apple had computers that could turn on when you pressed it's power button. Right now this is NOT business as usual, no matter how much you wish to support the Poly cause. The issues are not limited to a select few but to a large number of us. This has been a horrible roll out, it doesn't do what it was supposed to do, the app hasn't been released despite being told on this forum it would be released before Christmas and quite frankly the firmware updates haven't helped with most of the issues.

I personally find myself listening to the Mojo attached to my laptop more than in MojoPoly mode because the Poly just doesn't do the job. You don't like the complaints, then don't read them. The cost of the Poly is big coin for most people on this thread and they have every right to complain every 3 or 4 pages or as much as they like when the thread about the product they purchased, sponsored by the manufacturer, makes claims that have yet to be fulfilled.

I hope they do fix the issues but like other products I have purchased in this hobby of ours, I have a feeling this product isn't ever going to work as advertised, and a new and better one will be released in the future with some new advertising gimmick, with different hardware. I have been down this road too many times.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #5,194 of 18,774
I've got a paid version of Glider and am also a beta 'tester'. I think I remember seeing a way to get around the restriction / 10-minute pause thing, but can't find it using search. Anyone?

This is a common source of confusion (for me too), so I'll try and explain how this works. In-app purchases made through a TestFlight build are actually done from a ‘sandbox’ account that’s been automatically created for you by TestFlight. This means that purchases made or restored from a TestFlight build are actually using a different account then a build from the AppStore, even though the credentials are the same. The easy solution here is to just make another purchase from the TestFlight build since you won’t actually be charged for any transactions that happen through a sandbox account. You should receive a confirmation that you won't be charged as a beta tester before the 'purchase' is completed. This whole setup is in place to allow beta users to test the checkout flow and activation of paid features without actually having to pay each time.

The paid version appears to connect and do everything correctly, but I get no sound out of Moly when I'm playing a song. Weird.

Can you confirm that the default iOS output is something other then the Poly's AirPlay output? You can check this from the command center on the lock screen. If it is set to the Poly, then select your phone instead and see if that clears up the problem.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #5,195 of 18,774
This is a common source of confusion (for me too), so I'll try and explain how this works. In-app purchases made through a TestFlight build are actually done from a ‘sandbox’ account that’s been automatically created for you by TestFlight. This means that purchases made or restored from a TestFlight build are actually using a different account then a build from the AppStore, even though the credentials are the same. The easy solution here is to just make another purchase from the TestFlight build since you won’t actually be charged for any transactions that happen through a sandbox account. You should receive a confirmation that you won't be charged as a beta tester before the 'purchase' is completed. This whole setup is in place to allow beta users to test the checkout flow and activation of paid features without actually having to pay each time.

First, Merry Christmas to you! Thanks for reminding me about the no-charge purchase, I'll give that a try next time it comes up. I played the beta version for a few minutes earlier and had great sound no problem, so I'm a happy customer.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #5,196 of 18,774

I could not agree less

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #5,198 of 18,774
More i read this thread more i am a happy Samsung user. I hope that Chord and Qobuz will soon work together and then all will be perfect.
With Appel smartphones, the Qobuz App can connect with the Poly.
Why not with the Samsung one?
Can Chord help us about this?
In my favorite HIFI shop, the manager said me: Actually, it is not more possible to propose a product not fully compatible with Qobuz. The clients who accept to pay for a good DAC, want to stream in Hires.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5,199 of 18,774
Poly is working, DLNA using HiFi cast, also Bubble Upnp streaming cloud/Tidal on android. Also works in hotspot mode playing directly from SD card. Works with MPDeluxe on iPhone, reads folders and plays off SD card fine, plays DSD too. Glider won't read all my playlists for some reason, no doubt my fault. ..... Dont know if it will play my DSD files, those sre among the ones it wont read.

My main issue is Airplay streaming Tidal. it'll play for a short while then crackle like mad and jump from Poly back to iPhone.
It'll do that once, twice or three times then it settles down.

Anyone else experience this? ............. It's a brand new iPhone SE, so phone should be good.

Oh and, ...... HAPPY CHRISTMAS all ..... Enjoy your turkey, quorn roast or whatever's your flavour! :)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #5,200 of 18,774
Are you kidding me? Trust me this no Dell v. Apple. At least Apple had computers that could turn on when you pressed it's power button. Right now this is NOT business as usual, no matter how much you wish to support the Poly cause. The issues are not limited to a select few but to a large number of us. This has been a horrible roll out, it doesn't do what it was supposed to do, the app hasn't been released despite being told on this forum it would be released before Christmas and quite frankly the firmware updates haven't helped with most of the issues.

I personally find myself listening to the Mojo attached to my laptop more than in MojoPoly mode because the Poly just doesn't do the job. You don't like the complaints, then don't read them. The cost of the Poly is big coin for most people on this thread and they have every right to complain every 3 or 4 pages or as much as they like when the thread about the product they purchased, sponsored by the manufacturer, makes claims that have yet to be fulfilled.

I hope they do fix the issues but like other products I have purchased in this hobby of ours, I have a feeling this product isn't ever going to work as advertised, and a new and better one will be released in the future with some new advertising gimmick, with different hardware. I have been down this road too many times.

How do you know it’s a large number? A few members on here are having issues of that there is no doubt however unless you know the sales figures and the fault rate then that is just a false comment.

If my unit wasn’t powering up then it would be going straight back to the retailer for a refund or an exchange. Really don’t understand why people are disconnecting the unit to power up then complaining on here...send it back it’s faulty!

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #5,201 of 18,774
How do you know it’s a large number? A few members on here are having issues of that there is no doubt however unless you know the sales figures and the fault rate then that is just a false comment.

If my unit wasn’t powering up then it would be going straight back to the retailer for a refund or an exchange. Really don’t understand why people are disconnecting the unit to power up then complaining on here...send it back it’s faulty!

First of all, I would definitely send it back IF my reseller would give a refund BUT here in the states it doesn't work that way once your past the 15 or 30 day money back time. Chord has already expressed that THEY WON'T be giving refunds as it is between the reseller and enduser. Chord made a comment that firmware and app would be released before Christmas to allow for elimination of the "pin" take care of dropouts, Roon fixes, etc etc. Hence why most of us unhappy people held on to it. So not only did Chord disappoint us with a poor release and malfuntioning unit but through their claims, had most of us dissatisfied customers miss the 15 or 30 day return window. Yeah, I take full responsibility for my acts. I f--ked up, I trusted Chord. I should have sent the Edsel back. Even a Model-T could start with a crank.

Based on this thread more than not are having problems and those that aren't I have to be suspect if they are using it in one or two modes that allow them to use it, living with the PIA of the unit, with the ability to be patient for the next firmware update.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #5,202 of 18,774
Don’t too negative, I guess Chord will read through our observations and concerns via these threads, and think about how to answer and resolve the issues.

On my Poly, I understand it still has a lot of problems especially on Bluetooth connection and Airplay streaming, and I still not have chance the play through SD card as the Airplay streaming unstable. But I still want Chord to reflect our concerns.

Think positive

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #5,203 of 18,774
Don’t too negative, I guess Chord will read through our observations and concerns via these threads, and think about how to answer and resolve the issues.

On my Poly, I understand it still has a lot of problems especially on Bluetooth connection and Airplay streaming, and I still not have chance the play through SD card as the Airplay streaming unstable. But I still want Chord to reflect our concerns.

Think positive

Well I am more of a pragmatist. When I buy a product I expect it to work. Truth is when I buy a product I also understand, especially when it is a new one, that there will likely be bugs. I don't judge a manufacturer or service industry necessarily by the initial presentation of the product, but how they remedy a problem when it rears it's ugly head. Chord so far has failed in both respects. Hopefully they will get their act together in the near (I mean very near) future and if not authorize refunds for those who want them.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #5,204 of 18,774
I’m a happy MojoPoly user. After the latest FW update and with the latest Glider beta streaming from both my home NAS and the Poly SD server on the go with DLNa. Not using airplay nor Bluetooth. Stable playback, no drop outs and no missing starts at each song. The only thing I’m looking forward to is to be able to play DSD files as well... I know it’s coming but in the meantime I’m enjoying my investment. Thanks to @joe28 @JeremyLaurenson and everyone else on the forum for their feedback

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #5,205 of 18,774
First of all, I would definitely send it back IF my reseller would give a refund BUT here in the states it doesn't work that way once your past the 15 or 30 day money back time. Chord has already expressed that THEY WON'T be giving refunds as it is between the reseller and enduser. Chord made a comment that firmware and app would be released before Christmas to allow for elimination of the "pin" take care of dropouts, Roon fixes, etc etc. Hence why most of us unhappy people held on to it. So not only did Chord disappoint us with a poor release and malfuntioning unit but through their claims, had most of us dissatisfied customers miss the 15 or 30 day return window. Yeah, I take full responsibility for my acts. I f--ked up, I trusted Chord. I should have sent the Edsel back. Even a Model-T could start with a crank.

Based on this thread more than not are having problems and those that aren't I have to be suspect if they are using it in one or two modes that allow them to use it, living with the PIA of the unit, with the ability to be patient for the next firmware update.

That’s fair enough I guess, one of the few areas where the UK may be better in terms of refunds etc.

My unit works fine in the modes that I need, powers on, charges and connects first time etc etc.
I’d still be returning for an exchange though in case it’s a faulty unit ( although don’t know if that’s possible state side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back