Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,876 of 18,828
First proper post so please be gentle with me!

Had poly about a month first couple of weeks working intermittently on WiFi seemed to be fine on iPhone hotspot

Next two weeks been in Spain working most of time on WiFi occasionally wouldn’t connect applied the firmware update

Came home yesterday and refuses to connect to home WiFi, Linksys router tried deleting the settings, tried the guest account setting on the router Poly just flashes blue with nothing playing turned Bluetooth off because I thought it was that, still refuses to connect

iPhone hotspot mode still seems to work

Any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,877 of 18,828
I don't really want to be a PITA, however, the Chord people did say a firmware upgrade was coming after the Tuesday which is long gone. Can someone from CHORD, please post on this thread sponsored by CHORD, as to what is or is not going on? Information, even if its bad, is better than no information, especially after the date referred to you guys is long gone.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4,878 of 18,828
First proper post so please be gentle with me!

Had poly about a month first couple of weeks working intermittently on WiFi seemed to be fine on iPhone hotspot

Next two weeks been in Spain working most of time on WiFi occasionally wouldn’t connect applied the firmware update

Came home yesterday and refuses to connect to home WiFi, Linksys router tried deleting the settings, tried the guest account setting on the router Poly just flashes blue with nothing playing turned Bluetooth off because I thought it was that, still refuses to connect

iPhone hotspot mode still seems to work

Any suggestions?

One is tempted to suggest that you keep using the iPhone hotspot mode.,.. :)

Obviously not a solution. How far is Poly from the router? I believe Poly will attach to the strongest signal, if any are present. Noise and interference could also be a problem. Maybe a settings problem, @Matt Bartlett at Chord can probably help you work through this.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,880 of 18,828
Not sure if this is going to be of relevance, but having just set up my Poly with Draytek router - I found that 'Guest WiFi' will simply not connect. Bit of research showed guest WiFi allows internet access - ONLY. Ie it will not allow interaction with any other device on that network.
Once I connected to the full network, Poly connected correctly, and finds all my servers and the SD card, currently listening to the contents of Innuos without any issues and full artwork via 8 player. It does not like re connecting when play stopped for a while, but thats likely an issue with me as its rather new for me.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,882 of 18,828
Just bought the iPhone X.

What is the general impression how it works with the Poly? Hopefully it will somehow work better than with my previous iPhone.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #4,883 of 18,828
Just bought the iPhone X.

What is the general impression how it works with the Poly? Hopefully it will somehow work better than with my previous iPhone.

Mine works fine with Poly, no problems at all. I’m not sure really why an X would be any different to any other iPhone tbh, but it works the same as both my iPad’s.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,884 of 18,828
Mine works fine with Poly, no problems at all. I’m not sure really why an X would be any different to any other iPhone tbh, but it works the same as both my iPad’s.

No idea. Maybe better WiFi chip perhaps?

I will try it out later tonight once I have it setup. Good to hear that it works fine with you.

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,885 of 18,828
I don't really want to be a PITA, however, the Chord people did say a firmware upgrade was coming after the Tuesday which is long gone. Can someone from CHORD, please post on this thread sponsored by CHORD, as to what is or is not going on? Information, even if its bad, is better than no information, especially after the date referred to you guys is long gone.

Thanks

You paid a lot of money for something that isn't working as you expect. I would say you are not being a PITA at all expecting an answer to that question.

Chord appear to be MIA at the moment for some reason, I'm sure you will get an answer soon.

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,886 of 18,828
I also have an iPhone X and it works fine with Poly.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #4,887 of 18,828
I've had a long career as an engineer in the tech industry, and have worked for both hardware and software companies, from startups to large multinationals. I've been involved with many product releases (both enterprise and consumer products) and very well aware that unforeseen problems can arise. As a product is being released, it is not unusual for problems to be discovered as has been happening with Poly.

That said, the product release process for Poly was completely dysfunctional. It seems obvious to everybody (except Chord) that Poly is at a beta stage of development. An uncompleted product is being sold at full price and they are using customers as beta testers. I am willing to give Chord the benefit of the doubt that they genuinely thought they had a very finished product. However, now that the situation is known, they should temporarily suspend sales until problems are completely sorted. Continuing as they are doing, Chord will gain a reputation for releasing products before they are ready.

How is it possible that Chord did not know there would be problems such as special characters in SSIDs or reliably turning on the device? Quite simply, the reason is insufficient testing. Chord said that they had sent samples to distributors and received no feedback. That should have been a clue that it wasn't a valid test. Did they all report that Poly worked perfectly? Chord has no shortage of loyal fans, and it would have been easy to recruit 100 eager customers to actually use Poly in their everyday life. Offer a Poly at half price (or free) in exchange for testing, and Chord could have selected a testing pool that is a mix of iOS, Android, Roon, Tidal, Spotify users etc.

Did Chord do any usability studies? It sure seems like they didn't. Have a customer come to their office (or better yet, bring a Poly to a local customer's home or office). Then observe the customer set up and use a Poly completely on their own (with no help – observation only). Ask the customer to do SD card, offline, and Roon playback (again, on their own with no help). It is always a surprise to see where a customer struggles with your product.
I haven't bought Poly. I might have done if I had not read of all the problems. I was amazed today to see on the London Underground, a consumer oriented advert for Mojo Poly. If expert users such as you are getting exasperated goodness knows what the non tech music lover would make of all this. IMHO Chord are verging on the irresponsible marketing a bug ridden product to the general public. I say this as a very happy Mojo user.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4,888 of 18,828
I haven't bought Poly. I might have done if I had not read of all the problems. I was amazed today to see on the London Underground, a consumer oriented advert for Mojo Poly. If expert users such as you are getting exasperated goodness knows what the non tech music lover would make of all this. IMHO Chord are verging on the irresponsible marketing a bug ridden product to the general public. I say this as a very happy Mojo user.

Worst part is that the CHORD people sponsoring this site are MIA and still have given us no indication as to where the firmware update is supposed to be released somewhere around Tuesday and what in general is going on.

As I said before NO information is worse than bad news.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,889 of 18,828

Do they have class action suits down there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back