Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,906 of 18,775
I've searched the thread a few times and seen conflicting information about this, so I hope someone can provide some clarity here.

Will the Poly have the ability to directly control the Mojo's volume? Looking at the manual online and it's "bit perfect" option in the settings, I'm thinking that it's not the case. Is the Poly applying digital volume control to the audio stream before it reaches the Mojo's circuitry? The only thing stopping the Mojo from being the perfect digital dac/preamp was the lack of remote volume control, and due to all of the ruckus Rob and Chord have made about the advantages of allowing the Mojo FPGA to handle all the sound processing it seems unfortunate that they haven't been able to find a solution to this.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

I still don't know if I'll be able to say no the idea of a Roon ready digital endpoint at the Mojo+Poly cost even if I have to keep my analog preamp around for volume, but I was pretty excited to ditch the thing.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,907 of 18,775
I've searched the thread a few times and seen conflicting information about this, so I hope someone can provide some clarity here.

Will the Poly have the ability to directly control the Mojo's volume? Looking at the manual online and it's "bit perfect" option in the settings, I'm thinking that it's not the case. Is the Poly applying digital volume control to the audio stream before it reaches the Mojo's circuitry? The only thing stopping the Mojo from being the perfect digital dac/preamp was the lack of remote volume control, and due to all of the ruckus Rob and Chord have made about the advantages of allowing the Mojo FPGA to handle all the sound processing it seems unfortunate that they haven't been able to find a solution to this.

I still don't know if I'll be able to say no the idea of a Roon ready digital endpoint at the Mojo+Poly cost even if I have to keep my analog preamp around for volume, but I was pretty excited to ditch the thing.
It depends on the player it's optional to use the volume control or frequency settings or you can use or set the max volume you wish with the overall volume control on the Mojo the idea to use Poly is that you switch it on and put it away in a pocket or a back pack all data and artwork and control goes to your phone so you shouldn't have to get it out and fiddle with it as you would with an ordinary player so having control of the volume is a necessary function though you don't have to use it if you don't wish to.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,909 of 18,775
My guess (or wish list) for adittional features:
Poly can act as a DSP with parametric EQ, cross feed, and the ability of loading convolution filters. This is controlled by a Poly app that is similar to UAPP.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,910 of 18,775
just wondering.

is poly any better than an external bluetooth and wireless enabled DAP?

for example, the external dac will be either connected by spdif or usb so people tend to get expensive cables or regen modules.

does poly gives mojo a better shielding against all sorts of interferences?

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #1,911 of 18,775
just wondering.

for example, the external dac will be either connected by spdif or usb so people tend to get expensive cables or regen modules.

The answer should be a self evident yes.
The music data travels directly from the POLY circuit board, through the Poly USB plug, then through the Mojo USB socket, and on to the Mojo circuit board - therefore there is no intermediate cable, with opportunities to capture RFI or modify the music data slightly because of the physical properties/construction of the cable.

Does this mean that the music produced by the Mojo will sound better?
You would expect the music to sound better, but none of the posters on this thread (apart from Chord/dealers with demo versions), can physically validate that expectation until the Poly ships.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,912 of 18,775
I believe the Mojo came around 1.5 year later after the Hugo 1. So next year there might be the Mojo 2 since the Hugo 2 was released this year.

With all the delays with the Poly, I suppose I might wait for the Mojo 2 and then get the Poly 2 for the Mojo 2.

Anyone else having this concern investing more into the Mojo 1 when there potentially could be a Mojo 2 next year?

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,913 of 18,775
I believe the Mojo came around 1.5 year later after the Hugo 1. So next year there might be the Mojo 2 since the Hugo 2 was released this year.

With all the delays with the Poly, I suppose I might wait for the Mojo 2 and then get the Poly 2 for the Mojo 2.

Anyone else having this concern investing more into the Mojo 1 when there potentially could be a Mojo 2 next year?

John Franks indicated in some of his recent posts that:
  • a Mojo 2 is not in the development plan
  • Chord want to sell many more Mojos and Polys

My thoughts are:
  • It would not make business sense, having invested a lot of effort, money and stress in developing the Poly, to stop producing the Mojo (because each Mojo customer is a potential Poly customer).
  • If Chord did suddenly stop producing the Mojo in the near future, they would have to ensure that the Mojo 2 was able to dock with the Poly, in order to ensure continued Poly sales.
Based on that, I don't think concerns about a new Mojo 2, should stop people buying the Poly.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,914 of 18,775
just wondering.

The type of RF issues that have been noted are caused when a phone is in very close proximity millimetres usually so by having Poly plugged in Mojo can be away from the phone in a pocket or a back pack or bag and therefore the controlling phone is then usually some distance and we have not experienced any RF issues with Poly combined with Mojo at all.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,915 of 18,775
As a Mojo desktop user I may have just figured out a minor inconvenience with the Poly for me personally. I may however be worrying about nothing but here goes.

If I used the poly on a daily basis for portable use, I'd be unplugging the poly daily too. I figured this out recently. For some reason I figured the Poly would have throughput for Coaxial, optical and USB. Why I only just thought of this I don't know. I saw the plastic tabs connecting Poly to Mojo ages ago.

What worries me is the constant plugging and unplugging. If I used Mojo portably all the time, I would have no worry. ... Whereas if the Poly had all inputs though-put to Mojo, I'd never be unplugging the Poly.

I am probably worrying about nothing though. However I rarely unplug any cables on my Mojo in its daily use. Data, USB, and optical are always plugged in. I disconnect either USB from the computer, to use optical. Then I disconnect the power cable at the adapter end once charging is complete. ((I don't want to put undue stress on the connections from regular use.) .. I am careful like this with everything though, meaning all my property.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,916 of 18,775
Just wondering if Poly wants to be a Astell&Kern killer. I was looking at those players and they are pretty expensive, compared with that they offer. An Android OS is not something which you would put on a premium DAP, IMHO...
I am more oriented into going for a Poly-Mojo solution, rather than to look for dedicated players. Also, I have to say that Chord has a good marketing team, especially for their awarded FPGA DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,917 of 18,775
Just wondering if Poly wants to be a Astell&Kern killer. I was looking at those players and they are pretty expensive, compared with that they offer. An Android OS is not something which you would put on a premium DAP, IMHO...
I am more oriented into going for a Poly-Mojo solution, rather than to look for dedicated players. Also, I have to say that Chord has a good marketing team, especially for their awarded FPGA DAC.

If you have read the Mojo thread, you will know that quite a lot of people pair the Mojo with one of the AK range of DAPs (the DAP acts as the music transport, and the MOJO provides the superior DAC capability). The Poly will just substitute for the AK, and provide the music transport/streaming functionality). A phone provides the screen to enable the UI for controlling the Poly (and the phone or the UI can be updated, without needing hardware changes to the Poly of Mojo).
So it is a simplification to suggest that the Poly alone can be an AK killer, but the combined package of phone/Poly/Mojo can easily be an AK killer.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,918 of 18,775
Yep, I was thinking to that part. I am actually an iPhone user, I have the Mojo and I love it... while Poly is the only hardware missing (for now) from the whole chain.
I don't know how the quality of a A&K is when you feel it in hand. I definitely hate that bulky look and the fact that the USB port is still backwards in microUSB century... (I have upgraded all my computer hardware to USB-C)

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,919 of 18,775
John Franks indicated in some of his recent posts that:
  • a Mojo 2 is not in the development plan
  • Chord want to sell many more Mojos and Polys

My thoughts are:
  • It would not make business sense, having invested a lot of effort, money and stress in developing the Poly, to stop producing the Mojo (because each Mojo customer is a potential Poly customer).
  • If Chord did suddenly stop producing the Mojo in the near future, they would have to ensure that the Mojo 2 was able to dock with the Poly, in order to ensure continued Poly sales.
Based on that, I don't think concerns about a new Mojo 2, should stop people buying the Poly.

Ok thanks. Then I guess it's safe to get the Poly (1) then :p

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,920 of 18,775
As a Mojo desktop user I just figured out a minor inconvenience with the Poly for me personally. I may however be worrying about nothing but here goes.

If I used the poly on a daily basis for portable use, I'd be unplugging the poly daily too. I figured this out recently. For some reason I figured the Poly would have throughput for Coaxial, optical and USB. Why I only just thought of this I don't know because I saw the plastic tabs connecting Poly to Mojo.

What worries me is the constant plugging and unplugging. If I used Mojo portably all the time, I would have no worry. ... Whereas if the Poly had all inputs though-put to Mojo, I'd never be unplugging the Poly.

I am probably worrying about nothing though. However I rarely unplug any cables on my Mojo in its daily use. Data, USB, and optical are always plugged in. I disconnect either USB from the computer, to use optical. Then I disconnect the power cable at the adapter end once charging is complete. ((I don't want to put undue stress on the connections from regular use.) .. I am careful like this with everything though, meaning all my property.
We've repeatedly tested this connecting and disconnecting the connection between the two units thousands of times. It's is very stable having two extremely strong carbon reenforced locating bosses that fit into the optical and minijack connectors this stabilises the two USB connectors and Poly also cups the Mojo further enhancing the connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back