Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #16,773 of 19,121
There is no such thing as "neutral" or "natural". Do you know the amount of reverb, EQ and other signal manipulations that the music had to go through before you get to hear in a distribution that may or may not be intended for your streaming platform.

Be an audio Jedi, trust in the force, and let your ears guide you.

Edit: I agree weight of the notes and density of the sound (not muddy sound) are some good indicators of hifi (obviously not the only indicators).
I agree with you but just wanted to clarify when I said natural I didn’t mean what artist intended but how I would like my music to sound so natural to my brain.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #16,774 of 19,121
one last suggestion: don't get too hang up on the differences in these portable units or other mid-priced gear. Move up to the $10k+ (original retail price) dacs as soon as you can as things start to get really good once get across that threshold - your hearing will click once you have heard it. You can obviously buy used and in many cases you can only buy used because the piece has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #16,775 of 19,121
one last suggestion: don't get too hang up on the differences in these portable units or other mid-priced gear. Move up to the $10k+ (original retail price) dacs as soon as you can as things start to get really good once get across that threshold - your hearing will click once you have heard it. You can obviously buy used and in many cases you can only buy used because the piece has been discontinued.
Is that for me?

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #16,776 of 19,121
Feb 8, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #16,778 of 19,121
Personally with 10K for a DAC specifically I'd rather buy records.
I am not saying spend $10k+ on DAC. I am saying look for DACs that used to retail for $10k+ but are now being sold at a price that fits your budget.. Also, stick with the known brands, dCS, Emm Labs, MSB, Linn, Naim, Playback Designs, BAD, Mark Levison, T+A, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #16,779 of 19,121
Would the Mojo(1) still be a great buy in 2022 even with the Mojo 2 just released? As I see them popping up used now with Poly as a bundle?
In my opinion YES.
If bundled as a good price I would say yes. Both will be brand new units and all the issues I believe would have been sorted by now.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #16,781 of 19,121
So my question - isn’t thinning out mids also colored and we advertise it as neutral?
I try to avoid the word "neutral". If I did use it, then it's not the word I intended. I mentioned the gear getting the heck out of the way, The words that describe that are "transparency" and "clarity".

When comparing A to B we can often sort out which is more transparent. The instruments and voices we hear will sound more like they are in the space where we are seated. The TT2 does a stunning job with this and I believe the Hugo 2 does too, while the DAVE takes it to an insane level. If one is left believing they are hearing more clearly, then we have a component that is doing the right thing. This is the quality that I'm saying we should seek. If we do hear this and yet the mids are thinned out or the sound is not warm enough to our liking, then it's very likely not a problem with the component but with the recording itself. There are crappy recordings, but if we select gear that makes them more pleasurable, we could miss out the magic that can be conveyed with the really good recordings.

Recently I added some additional room treatments to my room. One of the first things that stood out was drum sticks being struck together in familiar track. I think I might have jumped when it heard it because it was so much more realistic than I had ever heard from my system. I don't think one can arrive at this point by looking for components that just please our ears. For me the goal is to have my system suspend disbelief. I want it to fool me into thinking I'm hearing the real thing. My immediate reaction to what Rob shared about the Mojo 2 was that this will get closer to hitting my goal than the original Mojo.

We each have different goals so I can certainly understand why some would want to seek out a pleasing sound. And that's ok! But Rob's designs are just so darn great at suspending disbelief that I would just hate to see someone pass on the Mojo 2 because it's not as warm as the original Mojo.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #16,782 of 19,121
Yes, but when i enabled my phone as a wifi hotspot and the phone connected, i wouldn't be able to surf the Internet on my phone
Can I ask, do you have an iPhone or an Android phone.
If an Android you can use the phone as a hotspot and still surf, this is how I use my Poly/Mojo 2 combi.

I'm afraid an iPhone user (if they haven't already answered) will need to help you if you have an iPhone

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #16,783 of 19,121
There is no such thing as "neutral" or "natural". Do you know the amount of reverb, EQ and other signal manipulations that the music had to go through before you get to hear in a distribution that may or may not be intended for your streaming platform.
These terms are only helpful in a relative sense. And most certainly it is possible to take steps to make a system sound more neutral and more natural. This is best done by eliminating the harm the components themselves do to the music. We can often tell when a component or cable is imposing less harm on the music. The better recordings help us with this though even poor recordings can help. They can be found to sound less artificial.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #16,784 of 19,121
I’ll check tonight. How do I tell if Mconnect is using airplay?
There are a few settings within the Mconnect app you may also need to change to get the full hirez (these apply to both Qobuz and Tidal and the type of account you have)

Mconnect 6.png
Mconnect 5.png
Mconnect 4.png
Mconnect 3.png
Mconnect_2.jpeg
Mconnect 1.jpeg

Attachments

• Mconnect 3.png
    Mconnect 3.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #16,785 of 19,121
Still showing up as red for me when I play master files from tidal
Tidal Masters will only ever show up as red as Chord and Mojo are not MQA devices, from the sounds of it not something I think they will ever support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back