Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #16,756 of 19,121
Thank you for clarifying. Seems like quite a convoluted solution which requires the data to be routed via the Android device and across the wifi network twice. In addition, Tidal and UPnP will be buffering their streams independently but without any end-to-end reliability. I don't think Poly is for me. Would be so much better if it were to support Tidal & Spotify Connect.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #16,757 of 19,121
This is well said. I think it’s best to seek neutrality from a DAC and then allow the headphone selection to provide one with the balance they prefer.

The warmer sound that came from Mojo 1 was caused by a capacitor that actually colored the sound. If coloration is preferred then it’s easy enough to add that with a choice of cables or ear pads or headphones or eq. But if it’s the DAC that’s colored, one can never move past that regardless of what they throw at it.

Appreciation for a particular DAC’s coloration also sets one up for disappointment when a successor is released. The natural progression is for each successive DAC to impose less of itself on the music. The H2 achieves that in an astounding way and yet because it’s not colored by having the extra capacitor that Mojo 1 has, this has caused some to not be able to appreciate what how advanced it really is.
You can still use EQ and bypass inner warmth of a DAC. It's all about preference. Some like colored DAC as per their sound preference and they play around with amp and headphone and some do other way around. I just don't buy the idea that DAC as a device always have to be neutral.
Mojo2 has the EQ to tilt it either side so I like that

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #16,758 of 19,121

Attachments

• 76B56644-7B4F-4B9A-A5FC-3758F0306A8D.png
    76B56644-7B4F-4B9A-A5FC-3758F0306A8D.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #16,760 of 19,121
Thank you for clarifying. Seems like quite a convoluted solution which requires the data to be routed via the Android device and across the wifi network twice. In addition, Tidal and UPnP will be buffering their streams independently but without any end-to-end reliability. I don't think Poly is for me. Would be so much better if it were to support Tidal & Spotify Connect.
From What I remember maybe you could read more about How DLNA works. For me, DLNA opens a tunnel between the server and renderer.
That is why equalisation is not possible.

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #16,761 of 19,121
Grrrrr...Poly still won't update. redownloaded gofigure software, turned on poly and let it run for an hour connected to my wifi, triple checked to make sure both poly's and my ap were working (even sending roon to the poly over wifi, and testing multiple devices connected to that wifi to get to internet), restarted poly a bunch of times, removed sd card half the attempts....

No matter what solutions I read and try, the damn thing still says firmware 2.0 is up to date.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #16,762 of 19,121
Grrrrr...Poly still won't update. redownloaded gofigure software, turned on poly and let it run for an hour connected to my wifi, triple checked to make sure both poly's and my ap were working (even sending roon to the poly over wifi, and testing multiple devices connected to that wifi to get to internet), restarted poly a bunch of times, removed sd card half the attempts....

No matter what solutions I read and try, the damn thing still says firmware 2.0 is up to date.
Two questions;
Are you using the android or ios version of gofigure?
When the 3.0.0 firmware was released, my ios version of gofigure (on an iPad) seemed to be unable to update poly. It kept displaying v2.0.4 and up to date.
In contrast my more recent android tablet updated gofigure correctly, and then displayed v3.0.0 for the poly firmware.

Tonight I have checked the iPad again, and it now displays v3.0.0 for the poly firmware.
I presume that gofigure may have auto updated.

Your issue may be caused by using a too old version of gofigure - something to test anyway

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #16,763 of 19,121
Two questions;
Are you using the android or ios version of gofigure?
When the 3.0.0 firmware was released, my ios version of gofigure (on an iPad) seemed to be unable to update poly. It kept displaying v2.0.4 and up to date.
In contrast my more recent android tablet updated gofigure correctly, and then displayed v3.0.0 for the poly firmware.

Tonight I have checked the iPad again, and it now displays v3.0.0 for the poly firmware.
I presume that gofigure may have auto updated.

Your issue may be caused by using a too old version of gofigure - something to test anyway

Tried both. iphone and teracube android. both new versions of gofigure.

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #16,765 of 19,121
With Chord offering a strong Poly future through backward compatibility with MOJO 2 I sprang for Poly today and fired it up on my November 2015 MOJO. Installation went smoothly as did the update to version 3 of the firmware. Only problem was resetting a large number of devices on my network due to the naming limitations... I had two special characters to delete. Hi Res over Wi-Fi from a good server is a treat. Next is a Micro SD card but there is a local shortage of anything with enough capacity... Have to order on line and wait. Something of an effort to find a Poly in country as well. Betting sales are up with MOJO 2 being out. If you are on the fence JUMP!

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #16,766 of 19,121
You can still use EQ and bypass inner warmth of a DAC. It's all about preference. Some like colored DAC as per their sound preference and they play around with amp and headphone and some do other way around. I just don't buy the idea that DAC as a device always have to be neutral.

There are a lot of audiophiles who agree with you on that. Once upon a time I believed that as well. Experience has taught me that it is mistake to seek out a DAC or any component that's colored. I have found that if one aims instead for gear and cables that get the heck out of the way of the music, they will be rewarded with greater realism, and that tends to be more satisfying over the long term.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #16,767 of 19,121
There are a lot of audiophiles who agree with you on that. Once upon a time I believed that as well. Experience has taught me that it is mistake to seek out a DAC or any component that's colored. I have found that if one aims instead for gear and cables that get the heck out of the way of the music, they will be rewarded with greater realism, and that tends to be more satisfying over the long term.
One of the reason that I have stick with Mojo 1 is that it imparts weight to vocals and one of reason that I sold Qutest for Schiit Gungnir was same. Gungnir felt more realistic in vocals and was more like Mojo. Weighty mids. Now if that is colored then I like colored sound. But to me that sounds more like natural.
So my question - isn’t thinning out mids also colored and we advertise it as neutral?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #16,768 of 19,121
There is no such thing as "neutral" or "natural". Do you know the amount of reverb, EQ and other signal manipulations that the music had to go through before you get to hear in a distribution that may or may not be intended for your streaming platform.

Be an audio Jedi, trust in the force, and let your ears guide you.

Edit: I agree weight of the notes and density of the sound (not muddy sound) are some good indicators of hifi (obviously not the only indicators).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #16,770 of 19,121
Now you just need to fork over another $200 for a case :)

Poly + Mojo without a case is flimsy as f...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back